Thread: You can't lift what what you can't grip....and vice versa? page

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

You can't lift what what you can't grip....and vice versa?

Primal Fuel
    So as pertaining to deadlift....

Obviously you won't lift if you don't have the grip strength to hold onto the bar as you come up, but does the opposite hold true? If you have a weak link in say your low back is there some mechanism by which you lose your grip on the bar?

I've busted through my stall, but noticed something in retrospect. I would start the top set with regular grip and switch to the alternate grip on my 3rd rep or so as grip was failing on 2nd rep, but fail on the 4rth regardless.

Well since busting my stall I noticed I've already upped PR by 10lbs AND hit all five reps with a regular grip. Is it possible my grip strength has improved that much, or is it that there is some inhibition of grip strength when there is a weak link elsewhere in the lift?

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    My mildly educated guess with no particular info to back it up would be that yes, a weak link anywhere could affect your grip. I'm frequently amazed at the ways our bodies are linked together. It wouldn't surprise me much to find that a weak or tight spot in your back or hamstring could affect your grip!

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    I suspect your grip strength just caught up. While I could see having a weak link could cause you to stall or pull slower, thereby causing you to hold the weight longer, thereby causing your grip to fail, I don't think they're all that connected. I'm a believer in straps since I can pull far more than my grip will hold. I don't see that as problematic if you use good form.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    So as pertaining to deadlift....

Obviously you won't lift if you don't have the grip strength to hold onto the bar as you come up, but does the opposite hold true? If you have a weak link in say your low back is there some mechanism by which you lose your grip on the bar?

I've busted through my stall, but noticed something in retrospect. I would start the top set with regular grip and switch to the alternate grip on my 3rd rep or so as grip was failing on 2nd rep, but fail on the 4rth regardless.

Well since busting my stall I noticed I've already upped PR by 10lbs AND hit all five reps with a regular grip. Is it possible my grip strength has improved that much, or is it that there is some inhibition of grip strength when there is a weak link elsewhere in the lift?
    The beauty of compound exercises. Work the body as a system, it gets stronger as a system. Whether your grip got stronger because your grip got stronger, or your grip got stronger because something else in the movement chain got stronger, just make sure you keep doing it!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Agreed... In the end it don't matter if it was the chicken or the egg. Just interesting how things work.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Agreed... In the end it don't matter if it was the chicken or the egg. Just interesting how things work.
    Real interesting. Been thinking about it all day. I think it's partly that your grip muscles got stronger and partly CNS.