Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need more potassium. How can I get it? page

Grokinit is offline Junior Member

Need more potassium. How can I get it?

Primal Fuel
    I'm day 6. Just getting over the carb flu. I have a concern about electrolyte depletion. My labs have always shown me to ride on the lower end of the normal potassium range so anything that causes a diuretic effect can present a serious problem for me. I have tried increasing the amount of fresh spinach i eat, however my body reacts in a no-so-pleasant way to large amounts of vegetables. I have tried supplements in the form of potassium chloride salt and potassium gluconate tablets and have nausea and severe bowel disturbances even when taken with a meal. I have tried juicing the spinach which is much more tolerable than eating it however, in order to meet the RDA I would have to juice huge amounts of spinach every day not to mention it would put me way over on my carb intake.

I'd like to know if there is a primal-friendly supplement that will provide the potassium I need and possibly other minerals and vitamins as well. I feel I am missing out by not being able to consume lots of vegetables and I don't want to become unhealthy.

What about amino acids? Do I need to supplement those as well?

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I'd eat oranges, bananas, potatoes, dates, and orange juice. But you do low carb, so... Low sodium v8 juice has 800mg potassium per cup. Kale, well cooked with its broth.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

diene is offline Senior Member
    I seriously doubt that consuming spinach--even huge amounts of spinach--could put you way over on your carb intake unless you're SERIOUSLY restricting carbs. And then you'll have to ask yourself why you're restricting carbs to that extent. But I do understand not being able to consume large quantities of spinach juice everyday.

Since potassium chloride and potassium gluconate make you sick, I really don't know what to tell you. Those are the supplements that I take.

I don't know why you think that you can't consume large amounts of vegetables. Primal does not mean low carb, and it certainly doesn't mean vegetable restriction. You should eat lots of different veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I'd eat oranges, bananas, potatoes, dates, and orange juice. But you do low carb, so... Low sodium v8 juice has 800mg potassium per cup. Kale, well cooked with its broth.
    Thank you, I will try the V8.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    I seriously doubt that consuming spinach--even huge amounts of spinach--could put you way over on your carb intake unless you're SERIOUSLY restricting carbs. And then you'll have to ask yourself why you're restricting carbs to that extent. But I do understand not being able to consume large quantities of spinach juice everyday.

Since potassium chloride and potassium gluconate make you sick, I really don't know what to tell you. Those are the supplements that I take.

I don't know why you think that you can't consume large amounts of vegetables. Primal does not mean low carb, and it certainly doesn't mean vegetable restriction. You should eat lots of different veggies.
    Thank you, I am going to increase vegetable juicing, as the raw version is hard on my digestion.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Avocados are probably the highest in potassium. You could also add bone broth to your diet, if you haven't already.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Try here: WHFoods: potassium

The list at the bottom of the page has a lot of different sources for potassium. Not just green veggies, but things like potatoes, avocado, etc.

As a note, that's not a paleo/primal website, so just ignore things like soy and legumes for the foods that are primal/paleo.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't come up too often on some lists, I suspect because not too many people eat it. But Beet Greens are purportedly a better source of Potas. than a banana.

Steamed or sauteed or thrown in the Vitamix for a green juice. And if you are having "unfortunate" response to the spinach (if that means more frequent bathroom visits) that depletes your Potas. quickly.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    White potatoes are also a better source of K than a banana.
    I have never quite figured out how the banana got it's stellar be all and end all reputation for K when there are so many better sources.
    1 cup cooked dark leafy greens= about 24% dv K
    1 'average' potato= about 26% dv K
    1/2 c. dried apricots= about 22% dv K
    1 cup cubed baked acorn/winter squash= about 26% dv K
    1 cup yogurt= about 18% dv K
    3oz salmon= about 15% dv K
    1/2 cup pureed avocado= about 16% dv K
    1 cup sliced white mushrooms= about 12% dv K
    1 'average' banana= about 12% dv K
    1 medium sweet potato= about 12% dv K

But also... have you tried Potassium citrate? IMO it's the kindest, gentlest K supplement.
    And those low sodium V8's will certainly get you a good hit in a pinch.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I've had chronic idiopathic hypokalaemia for many years (long term low potassium of no known cause)

1st line things to do
    try magnesium supplements with low potassium ,many people don't need to top up potassium if they use magnesium. Try this first.
    Find out your sodium levels; if your sodium is the high end of normal or over normal cut sodium intake - these electrolytes balance with each other. if your sodium is high it can push your potassium low.

2nd line increase dietary potassium
    some fish is really good; fresh salmon 628mg in 100g and yellowfin tuna 527mg in 100g
    potatoes come in just under spinach at 535mg in 100g. most of the potassium is in or just under the skin so a large proportion of the inner white starch can be binned.
    avocado is 485mg in 100g
    mushrooms are good choice;White mushrooms 396mg in 100g are best but others are good.
    bananas 358mg in 100g

3rd line supplements
    a big choice of commercial potassium supplements usually in smallish doses
    I use potassium chloride but don't take it with food, I eat it on food and use it to replace salt in cooking. Be careful with supplementary potassium its easy to go over the top and a potassium level over the max of the range(over 5) can cause cardiac arrhythmias just like low potassium . you need to be deficient and know your numbers before you supplement heavily
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast