Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kale Chips! grrr... page

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member

Kale Chips! grrr...

Shop Now
    I tried to make these using the video posted on Mark's website. I felt like I cooked them and cooked them some more and the edges got a little crispy but were way too thin and too limp to make "chips" out of them.

Anyone have success making "kale chips"? ...as in chips being useful to dip into my salsa or guacamole or for making nachos.

What I made this weekend did not even come close. Bummer!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I had to make kale chips once because I'm basically too cheap to throw out good food and I disliked the stuff raw. While I did get them to crisp up, I don't think they would have held up to dips. They tasted like salty green air. LOL. I don't remember the recipe, but I don't think I'd found MDA yet, so I most likely just googled.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    i deep fried some kale for the first time the other day and found that they just crumple in the hand. Which is fine, but not dippable.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    You didn't fail, I think they're just not meant to actually be chip-like. "Kale wafers" would be a more appropriate name.

I google imaged "kale chips and dip" and pictures of kale chips aside a hearty dip are abundant. I don't believe them for a second!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    We dehydrated kale the day we bought the dehydrator and it was revolting. There are three ways I eat kale: in juice; by blanching it and chopping into salads and in a soup (add right before serving to, again, blanch the sucker).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Greys and Chaos is offline Junior Member
    I have done the kale chips twice now and both times they have been great. this is they way I made them

Taco Bowl with Crispy Kale Chips | Mark's Daily Apple

they would *not* hold up to dips but putting them on top of a "taco salad" would work for the crunch that is missing from not having tortilla chips in there. My husband, daughter and I all loved them just for munching.

if you want something good for dipping I dehydrated some zucchini and it turned out pretty good for my homemade salsa.

Baba Ghanoush with Squash Chips | Mark's Daily Apple

the squash gets tiny as it dehydrates so I would recommend cutting it more at an angle to make larger "chips". You can also use other veggies.

diene is offline Senior Member
    The nom nom paleo site is down for some reason. But just google nom nom paleo kale chips. She has recipes for other paleo chips as well. Kale will crisp up in the oven, but it will not be good for dipping (crumbles too easily).

Leida--I don't think the dehydrator works well for making chips. I tried dehydrating zucchini once, and it was terrible as well.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Our dehydrator is top-notch for sweet potato, potato, banana, apples, jikama, daikon, rutabaga, turnip... every root veggie I tried. It is AWESOME.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Kale leaves are too thin to hold anything up. I made kale chips once, and would compare them more like a slightly-harder-than seaweed chip.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Our dehydrator is top-notch for sweet potato, potato, banana, apples, jikama, daikon, rutabaga, turnip... every root veggie I tried. It is AWESOME.
    A dehydrator?.... Leida, can you tell me more about this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast