Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Appreciation of Spring Lamb page

dash is offline Member

An Appreciation of Spring Lamb

Shop Now
    Anyone else here absolutely love lamb? (Probably a silly question, I know) I'm living in Scotland at the moment and the new season lamb has just arrived in supermarkets! One of the things I love about living here is that even though the lamb isn't organic I know that it's grass-fed, since the meat industry isn't nearly as industrialized here. I am a bit of a cheapskate however, so I've been finding ways of enjoying the cheaper cuts.

Lamb Ribs - I fried a few of these in my cast iron pan and they were delicious, lots of fat and flavor.

Breast of Lamb - Quite bony and tough, but after roasting in the oven for three hours with some herbs, tomato paste and red wine vinegar the meat was falling off the bone. I pulled apart the meat and mixed it with all the drippings in a bowl which I popped in the fridge to make a kind of lamb tureen. A spoonful of that is such a great snack!

Lamb Shoulder - More expensive than the other two, but tonight for dinner I slow roasted half a shoulder (blade side) in the oven at 350F for about three hours (again with herbs, a bit of tomato paste, white wine vinegar and dijon mustard) until you could pull the meat apart with a fork. Then I made a gravy with all the drippings, onions and mushrooms and mixed in plenty of the shredded meat. There was even a bit of marrow left in the shoulder joint which was a delicious treat!

I have some lamb bones ready to make bone stock soon as well... I may well turn into a sheep!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Baaaaaaa!
    I've just ordered half a Welsh lamb
    I've never heard of an indoor / intensively reared lamb so in a way it's my "optimal" meat. And damn tasty!
    Rolled breat of lamb sits in a slow cooker and stews in its own fat and juices...om nom nom. Sounds similar to your drippings bowl!

However, liver is *still* a no-go zone for me. I've tried, I really have. But nooooo.

Daft thing is, I love Shepherd's Pie (sub cauliflower or sweet potato for mash) but never have any leftovers to mince!

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Love em. Just fried in a pan. My eldest child will chew on the bones she loves it soo much. The funny thing is that she has a stuffed lamb that she has had since she was a baby, she's ok with eating lamby. LOL! One day her little friend was over for supper and I was doing up some chops (fresh from the market!) and the kid begged to stay for supper, she had never eaten them. Her mother was shocked that she ate them as apparently the kid doesn't eat meat!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I love lamb in all its forms (I am a born and bred kiwi so of course!). Chops with the crispy fat around the edges - yummm...

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    I love love love lamb. My mom hates it, so I never really had it growing up, but for a while, it was the cheapest form of red meat in the grocery store near me, so the first two years of grad school I ate a lot of it. So delicious. I like rib chops -- I chew the bones. I'm also a huge lamb shoulder roast -- I have a recipe for it braised in white wine. Yum.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Lamb is the absolute best---if I can't get Goat, which is often ;-)

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I love lamb, especially roasted. I'm not sure all Australia's lamb is grass fed but I act like it is.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    There's grass in Australia??

I had curry goat once, but didn't realise at the time that the chunks of meat were in fact chunks of meat on the bone.... bad day for teeth.... tasted nice though. I'd consider keeping goats, but I don't like them. Sheep are cute though

dash is offline Member
    Oooh, yeah, I had a goat curry once as well, very tasty. I'd love to try mutton as well since I quite like strong flavored meat. I've been watching the Great British Menu on the BBC, which is a cooking competition show, and this year several of the chefs have used hogget which is apparently a sheep around two years old, so too old to be lamb but too young to be mutton. Sounds like it would be tasty.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I love lamb too. Favourite cut is rolled shoulder - it's absolutely packed with fat - probably got about the same ratio of fat to lean as pork belly. Beautiful with a homemade mint sauce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast