Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy and antibiotics! page

Linz123 is offline Junior Member

Pregnancy and antibiotics!

Shop Now
    Hello, I am newly pregnant (6 weeks) and am in need of some advice ASAP. I slipped on a box jump during my workout this morning and took a pretty big gash out of my shin. I ended up at the doctor when it wouldn't stop bleeding and it is apparently pretty close to the bone. It was too big to do stitches and the Dr. (who is not known to be quick to hand out antibiotics) wants me on one, due to the depth and severity of the injury. If I were not pregnant I would probably NOT take the antibiotic, as my gut instincts are telling me that I should let my innate immunity deal with it. I am not a fan of preventative antibiotics, but it is not just my health that is at stake. Pregnancy has made me a nervous mama! Any advice or comments are welcome, thanks everyone!

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    yes it is really, its a deep wound in an area without much flesh. lacerations of 5cm are more likely to become infected plus He will have given you a 5 day course of a first line antibiotic- not a major problem. I presume he knows you are pregnant?

If you don't take it you are at increased risk of infection and near a bone these can be fast developing.Its a risk you can take but if you develop any infection that's nasty you might need a stronger or more specific antibiotic and many of these aren't safe in pregnancy.

Drs don't prescribe antibiotics wily-nilly to pregnant women particularly if your Dr isn't an over-prescriber of them. Id say trust his judgement on this one. You might get lucky and be infection free or you might not.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    See if he can make sure there is a ton of topical antibiotics on the wound. I had a nasty fingernail infection (much smaller, I know), that was infected with strep. The doctor wanted me on oral antibiotics , but I didn't want to be on them when I knew I'd be trying to concieve soon. So, the doctor injected my infected finger wound with topical antibiotics, and I kept it clean, breathing, and coated with neosporan for weeks. The infection was fought, and I won.

I know taking oral antibiotics can kill off your get bacteria, which can lead to other problems with pregnancy (yeast infections, digestion problems). If you do take oral antibiotics, make sure to use topical antibiotics, too, and take lots of probiotics. Buy the probiotic pills, eat yogurt, lacto-fermented veggies (Bubbies pickles and sauerkraut), and drink kombucha if you've already been drinking it. The probiotics will also help with the constipation that usually occurs with pregnancy. I haven't really had any this pregnancy, and I'm sure that's due to the probiotics and clean eating.

topical antibiotics aren't suitable for a deep or large wound. Most is dispersed away from the wound by blood flow; what's left doesn't go deep enough into the wound to be of any benefit. Its not a skin infection that's of concern- its a deep seated infection near a major bone that's the worry.

Neosporin might seem an easier route but Neosporin consists of 3 antibiotics, bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B,
    the US, (which is the only large market for Neosporin , most of the world considers it a clinically insignificant treatment) the ointment has been shown to promote the prevalence of MRSA bacteria which you don't want in that wound.

* The high incidence of contact dermatitis associated with Neosporin has earned it the Allergen of the Year award.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

Thank you so much all!

He does know I am pregnant and gave me a 10 day course, which seems extreme, but you are correct, this is a bit of an extreme circumstance. I just feel frustrated since I did work so hard to prepare for conception, with good probiotics and bone broths, etc.

he wants you to have a healthy baby, god forbid you got a really nasty bacteria that only responded to 1 antibiotic and that is 1 that's harmful to the baby. He doesn't want to take the risk of that or have to take your leg off as you can't take the antibiotic. I know those are extreme scenarios but they are potential, although not likely, hazards. Once baby's born you can resolve never to take another but pregnancy changes the boundaries.
    Try not to be frustrated - your health and preparation will ensure the baby's got the strongest chance of being very healthy- in view of that one course of antibiotics is small stuff.
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-28-2013 at 04:28 PM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I totally hear you.

I was exposed to Scarlet Fever back when I was pregnant with my oldest son (he's 22 now), and I had to take antibiotics. I was avoiding medicines, caffeine, alcohol, artificial anything (almost 20 years before going Primal) and pretty much anything that had even a remote chance of causing any problems for my baby. I argued with the doctor about it, but it comes down to the risk being greater for complications than from the antibiotic. So you just do what needs to be done and realize that's a preview of most of the parenting decisions you'll face for the next 30 years - making choices that aren't what you had planned or wanted but work out anyway.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by galamabx View Post
    Its not a skin infection that's of concern- its a deep seated infection near a major bone that's the worry.
    True. Fixing it while it's localized is always better than trying to fix it when it's systemic, and I have a friend right now who is dealing with an infection that ate through bone in a family member.

Compared to that, some antibiotics are definitely preferable.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by galamabx View Post
    Its not a skin infection that's of concern- its a deep seated infection near a major bone that's the worry.
    I admit to not knowing much about large, open injuries. If the risk of infection outweighs the risks of antibiotics, definitely get the antibiotics! Make sure to get lots of probiotics to recolonize your gut, though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast