Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An American shopping list page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

An American shopping list

I'm going to be in America in a couple of weeks, and I want to take the opportunity to buy food and health stuffs that are only available across the pond. So far I've got Great Lakes powered gelatine and (maybe) Thyroid Armour on my list.

What are your favourite American supplements and food stuffs that you'd recommend?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If you can find a Trader Joe's they have pretty good cheese. They have inexpensive frozen fish. Their almond butter is cheap but they are always out of it. Their nuts and dried fruits are cheap.

Honestly, food isn't very good in the US. It seems a lot better in the few places I've been (India, Nepal, Mexico City.) Even crappy stuff is better there.

I'd go unprimal and sample some craft beers wherever you go. If you go to wine country, sample some wines. If you go to a particular region, throw your primal out the window and sample some regional cuisine. For example, in the south they have some interesting fried foods. If I ever go there I will try them. I might like to know what's the difference between Mexican food in Texas and the California kind I'm used to, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Where in America are you going to? Its a pretty big place
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I know that food isn't the best in the States, but you guys seem to have such random, novelty items that people in Europe would never consider having... Like grass fed powered gelatine! And all the random supps...

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Where in America are you going to? Its a pretty big place
    Cal-i-forn-i-a And New York, briefly. Though the location isn't important: I'm looking for stuff you can pick up in pharmacies etc.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    The only "pharmacy" things i would get if i were going back would be tylinol(pain killer) and bc powder(high dose powders asprin) but mostly because most other pain killers dont work on me so while i dont take them often, they are handy to have when i need it.
    I would go browse the local health food shops though to see what i could find. Sometimes you can find the coolest things in the more local shops.. Oh and farmers markets..
    If you know where your going you should be able to google local Shops/markets/events etc
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

diene is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm...I think in order to answer your question properly, we'd have to know what's not available in Europe. I think you should make a list of a few supplements that you'd like to buy but can't find in Europe, and then when in the US, visit (a) Whole Foods, (b) Trader Joe's, (c) Vitamin Shoppe or GNC, and/or (d) local/independent natural foods/supplement stores. In the Bay Area, Andronico's (an upscale supermarket chain) is also worth visiting for fun foods. One thing I noticed last time I was there was lots of kinda expensive (like $7-$8 a bar) but totally cool specialty chocolate (different kinds--like chocolate with bacon and stuff like that--you can find it at Andronico's). There's also specialty honey. When I go to Cali, I buy things like tea leaves and chocolate that you can't really find in PA because there's not a market for specialty items since everyone here just drinks HFCS and eats M&Ms.

You can just go to the above stores and browse and see if there are things that you want but can't get in Europe.

Edited to add: Oh and try California wines. There is a sake factory in Berkeley that offers sake tasting that could be fun too.
    Last edited by diene; 05-28-2013 at 03:30 PM.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    The only "pharmacy" things i would get if i were going back would be tylinol(pain killer) and bc powder(high dose powders asprin) but mostly because most other pain killers dont work on me so while i dont take them often, they are handy to have when i need it.
    I would go browse the local health food shops though to see what i could find. Sometimes you can find the coolest things in the more local shops.. Oh and farmers markets..
    If you know where your going you should be able to google local Shops/markets/events etc
    They don't sell over-the-counter painkillers in the UK?

Farmers markets can be fun to visit too. Fresh fruit and whatnot. They often also have non-primal but yummy baked goods. But you probably won't be able to bring it back to the UK though.

Edited to add: And this: http://www.irishmonkeycellars.com/

I've never been, but my friends swear by it. I was going to go last time I was there but didn't have time.
    Last edited by diene; 05-28-2013 at 03:36 PM.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    LOL, they were giving away free Goody powders at the NASCAR race Sunday. That and they had $1 packs of cigarettes.

You can eat really well in CA.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    To get Armour or any thyroid hormone replacement, legally, requires a prescription from a doctor.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    To get Armour or any thyroid hormone replacement, legally, requires a prescription from a doctor.
    Bingo. It's hard to find a doctor that will rx it as well. I'm lucky I came across one and the rest seem to be ok going with the status quo now that I'm on it and my blood work has stabilized.

A friend of mine lived in Germany and said that baking soda and powder were really hard to find somewhere in Europe, but that's all I got.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast