Thread: I killed my marrow bones. page

Repicheep is offline Member
    Out of a backpack, but Paris, France/Colorado

I killed my marrow bones.

Shop Now
    I got some thin sliced center cut marrow bones. I cooked them in a frying pan. They died. How do I get them to be mooshy and delicious inside?!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Can you describe what "died" means? It's close to impossible to kill a marrow bone. I made a huge pot of beef broth yesterday with marrow bones. Boiled them with onion, garlic, a couple of whole carrots, peppercorns, and bay leaves. Simmered them for about 8 hours, then strained the broth and chowed down on the marrow, which was mooshy and delicious. I imagine you could do the same with yours, depending on what "died" means.
    Last edited by Sharonll; 05-17-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Repicheep is offline Member
    Out of a backpack, but Paris, France/Colorado
    I put them in a frying pan and tried to fy them (they're about an inch thick, sliced circumference wise). They got hard in the center and inedible. So I should try and boil them instead?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    If you haven't read this already:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/bone-marrow-recipe/
    Roast in the oven at 350F for about 15 minutes, or until the marrow is soft and delicious.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    are you sure it was MARROW and not just bones with the griity stuff not yet deep enough cut for marrow?? get beef shank... its got plenty of marrow. i did the same thing my first go only to realize i was scraping the inside of bones that were only bones with blood/grit but no marrow

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repicheep View Post
    I put them in a frying pan and tried to fy them (they're about an inch thick, sliced circumference wise). They got hard in the center and inedible. So I should try and boil them instead?
    Looks like malpaz may have figured out your problem, but you can still use the bones for bone broth. Just put them in a pot, cover them with water, add a dash of vinegar to help leach the calcium from the bones, and possibly the same ingredients I listed in my earlier post. Cook them on low for several hours, checking the water level and adding more if you need to. Even if your bones don't have marrow, they will still make great broth with lots of healthy minerals. You can freeze portions of the broth and add to soup, stews, chili, sauces, etc.