Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: no sugar OR starch. So where do i get my carbs from?? page

JohanJohan is offline Member

no sugar OR starch. So where do i get my carbs from??

Primal Fuel
    All these anti inflammatory diets suggests no sugar (which rule out all fruits right?) and no starch. So where can i find 100g of carbs per day? I thought sugar and starch where the only two sources of carbs.

And Im not interested in eating 40 pounds of some weird Himalayan flowers per day or something like that. Something practical.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    non starchy vegetables, which anti inflammatory diet are you intending- some include fruits
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-28-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    You can get plenty of carbs from nuts, vegetables and low sugar fruit such as berries. And the primal diet includes taters, tapioca, though most of us eshew the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Egerland View Post
    You can get plenty of carbs from nuts, vegetables and low sugar fruit such as berries. And the primal diet includes taters, tapioca, though most of us eshew the skin.
    yes i eat alot of tapioca. would hate to give that up.

OK.. so when someone says "no sugar", berries and low sugar fruits are still considered tolerated??

Can you please give an example of a vegetable high in carbs but no starch or sugars?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    What diet is this that said no starch or sugars? Did they really mean absolutely none? Because there is a whole world of healthy fruits, roots and tubers that can be eaten that are not going to trigger inflammation.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

doing the autoimmune paleo protocol. now considering the gaps diet on top of that. The Five Most Common GAPS Diet Mistakes

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I'm doing it too. And you are right it is hard to find enough carbs. A lot of the things people are suggesting are either nightshades (potatoes) or starch (I hate tell you but tapioca is pure starch). From what I understand certain fruits are allowed but they must be fully ripe for example bananas, pears and apples. Of course you can eat berries but that won't get you very far in terms of carbs or satisfying hunger. I've been eating sweet potatoes which everyone seems to love but w/o butter I can't really get that excited about them.

Recently I made a mash of celery root and carrot that was pretty good. First I saute the carrot and celery root in lard (I have some I rendered from our own hog) then I add chicken broth (homemade) and a couple of whole cloves of garlic, I then cook it until everything is tender, if there's still too much liquid I take the top off and evaporate the excess. Then of course I mash the whole thing and add salt.

How long have you been on the protocol? I'm just about 2 weeks in (doing it for Hashimoto's so I'm not having goitrogenic foods either) and I'm finding it very limiting. I'm often hungry and since I'm not actively trying to lose weight I'm not that keen on feeling hungry. I'm getting tired of coconut in all it's forms.
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 05-28-2013 at 12:38 PM.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohanJohan View Post
    All these anti inflammatory diets suggests no sugar (which rule out all fruits right?) and no starch. So where can i find 100g of carbs per day? I thought sugar and starch where the only two sources of carbs.

And Im not interested in eating 40 pounds of some weird Himalayan flowers per day or something like that. Something practical.
    Veggies.

Depending on your goals, you can still eat some rice or sweet potatoes or something. Starch won't hurt.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, celery, celery root, onions, brussels sprouts, cabbage or sauerkraut, cauliflour, beets, greens (mustard, collards, kale, beet, dandelion, etc).
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Avocado. That's non-sweet, non-starchy responce to fiber and carb needs.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast