Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: no sugar OR starch. So where do i get my carbs from?? page 4

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just quit eating starch almost entirely. Because it hurts me and almost made me go blind, as far as I can tell. Causation not proven...but nothing else was unique that week.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JohanJohan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post

It might be helpful if you could let us know what type of inflammation you have and what your overall goals are.

Good luck!!
    severe anxiety and mind racing after reintroduced gluten four months ago, after 1 month off. never had it before. but getting a bit better every week. had brain fog for 6 years and a small patch of vitiligo (autoimmune disease). have had about 4 random days where the brain fog lifted. twice when i first tested cod liver oil. and the first day or two the first time i went paleo aip.

dna testing for celiac showed negative.

stool test showed

Lysozyme* 637 <= 600 ng/mL
    Lactoferrin 12.5 < 7.3 g/mL

but ultra sound showed no ibd.

if i drink ginger tea i get back to "normal me" for an hour or so. since ginger is anti inflammatory im guessing there is some kind of inflammation going on for whatever reason. maybe the gut flora is out of balance. oh, and a test showed a mildly leaky gut as well.

paleo aip works a bit. but thinking it might not be enough after being strict for four months. so now im looking at this gaps thing. heard something about scd as well...

looking around it seems like Fecal transplant (FMT) might be, a nasty as fuck, but rational treatment..

I have paid some of the best private digestive doctors in london over 4000 now in the last 4 months to figure this shit out. but they couldnt.

one wanted me to go back on gluten so they could test for celiac again. but i said no.

but paleo aip IS good. my brain is still not great. but my body is incredible now. tested adrenals dhea and cortisol 10 days after the gluten. showed really low dhea and cortisol was way off. stage 3 adrenal burnout they called it. retested it after 1 month on paleo aip and i had completly reversed it to normal levels.
    Last edited by JohanJohan; 05-30-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Wow JohanJohan, you've really been through the ringer. I'm impressed that you've done paleo aip for 4 months, I'm only in 2 weeks and I'm getting very cranky, but then again my symptoms weren't that bad before I started (no digestive issues) so I'm wrestling with the temptation to stop. Since you've already done paleo aip I don't think you will find GAPS that difficult. Bone broth,, ginger tea, fermented dairy and veggies, figure prominently in GAPS. The book is worth reading I think it may make a lot of sense to you.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohanJohan View Post
    if i drink ginger tea i get back to "normal me" for an hour or so. since ginger is anti inflammatory im guessing there is some kind of inflammation going on for whatever reason. maybe the gut flora is out of balance. oy gut as well.
    Actually, ginger increases secretion of gastric acids which increases the efficiency of digestion and reduces symptoms of gastric distress which is probably why you feel better after the tea more than anything else.

Ginger was shown as more effective for motion sickness than most perscription drugs in multiple trials.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Nice! so all of these have carbs but no sugar or starch??
    You are being too literal for the non-technical presentation, which is what you have asked for. No sugar is not correct, try low sugar. All carbs are turned into glucose and other nutrients. All fruits are turned into fructose and other nutrients. We're talking about percentages or relative amounts.

Use Health Divas: Glycemic Index And Glycemic Load for Over 100 Common Foods to determine relative amounts of sugars.

http://thepaleodiet.com/fruits-and-sugars/
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-30-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    paleo aip works a bit. but thinking it might not be enough after being strict for four months. so now im looking at this gaps thing. heard something about scd as well...
    GAPS is based on SCD. SCD means Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Fruit and vegetable sugars, when limited, are just fine to consume. Here's SCD's website (Science Behind the Diet - Breaking the Vicious Cycle) says about carbohydrates:

"The Specific Carbohydrate Diet™ is based on the principle that specifically selected carbohydrates, requiring minimal digestive processes, are well absorbed and leave virtually none to be used for furthering microbial overgrowth in the intestine. As the microbial population decreases due to lack of food, its harmful byproducts also decrease, freeing the intestinal surface of injurious substances. No longer needing protection, the mucus-producing cells stop producing excessive mucus, and carbohydrate digestion is improved. Malabsorption is replaced by absorption. As the individual absorbs energy and nutrients, all the cells in the body are properly nourished, including the cells of the immune system, which then can assist in overcoming the microbial invasion." The simpler the structure of the carbohydrate, the more easily the body digests and absorbs it. Monosaccharides (single molecules of glucose, fructose, or galactose) require no splitting by digestive enzymes in order to be absorbed by the body. These are the sugars we rely on in the diet. They include those found in fruits, honey, some vegetables, and in yoghurt.

Double sugar molecules (disaccharides: lactose, sucrose, maltose and isomaltose) and starches (polysaccharides) are primarily avoided on the diet. Some starches have been shown to be tolerated, particularly those in the legume family (dried beans, lentils and split peas only). However, they must be soaked for 10-12 hours prior to cooking, and the water discarded since it will contain other sugars which are indigestible, but which are removed in the soaking process. Small amounts of legumes may only be added to the diet after about three months. The starches in all grains, corn, and potatoes must be strictly avoided. Corn syrup is also excluded since it contains a mixture of 'short-chain' starches.

I hope that helps

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    I'd add squash (espescially pumpkin!) to the list.

And note that many fruits are full of antinflammatory compounds, some more than others, and also that some have more sugar than others. So consider eating at least some fruit! Keep in mind that the fructuse:glucose ratio may be of importance to you depending on what you're trying to achieve.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234