Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: no sugar OR starch. So where do i get my carbs from?? page 3

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    JohanJohan, what anti inflammation diet are you doing? And is it for a specific condition? GAPS and the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol are similar but there are some differences, for example fermented dairy is okay on GAPS, but not on Paleo AP, sweet potatoes are okay on Paleo AP, but not on GAPS. Depending on the condition you're addressing there may be other dietary considerations.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Bubbles says their 'kraut has cultures in them as per the bottle, however they do NOT make this claim on their pickle bottles, and if you read the ingredients, Bubbies pickles have vinegar added suggesting a non-fermented pickle.
    It depends on the type of pickle you're buying. They're bread & butter ones, though delicious, are sadly pickled in vinegar. I always check ingredients for vinegar. Their Kosher Dill Pickles, Kosher Dill Relish, and their sauerkraut are vinegar-free!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    It depends on the type of pickle you're buying. They're bread & butter ones, though delicious, are sadly pickled in vinegar. I always check ingredients for vinegar. Their Kosher Dill Pickles, Kosher Dill Relish, and their sauerkraut are vinegar-free!
    Certain pickle flavors (I guess bread and butter is one of 'em) would be hard to recreate via fermentation so they would be likely to pickle them to be better able to control the elements. Other flavors you can easily produce with a fermented cuke and may even be BETTER suited to it.

Of course you can make 'kraut via pickling, but it just isn't the same and seems more and more companies are realizing this. And since it doesn't take much effort to ferment...

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    I think the interesting thing of the "eat vegetables" rule is that you can eat plenty of them, get a lot of micronutrients (vitamins, anti-oxidants and minerals), be satiated... and still stay low in carbs.

My carbohydrate sources are: bell peppers (9.4g/100g), tomatoes (4g), eggplants (5.7g), onions (9.3g), garlic (33.1g), leek (14.2g), broccoli (6.6g), lettuce (3.2g), carrots (9.6g), cucumber (3.6g), asparagus (4g).

And don't forget fruits: blueberries (14.g), blackberries (10.2g), strawberries (7.7g), cranberries (12.2g), blackcurrant (15.4g), apple (13.8), avocado (24.g each).

Liver has carbs: 5.9g per 100g of beef liver

Nuts are rich in fats, but they are not carb free: macadamias (14.2g, but I guess most is fiber), brazinuts (12.3g), almonds (19.9g), chestnuts (45.5g!!!), hazelnuts (16.7g), pistachios (28g).

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Chocolate. Where's the chocolate?! Eat all the chocolate!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Chocolate. Where's the chocolate?! Eat all the chocolate!
    Chocolate isn't GAPS friendly, Sillyhead.

GAPS isn't living-friendly, lol.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

True, but it does do a great job of healing a person's guts. Pros and cons to everything!

It might heal some people's guts. It also might be a complete waste of time...

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have not done GAPS (although I am considering it).

But for the autoimmune version of paleo that I use, I don't limit starches or natural sugars at all. If you have ankylosing spondylitis you may need to limit starch, but I'm not sure that is useful for other conditions.

I eat sweet potato, all forms of squash, carrots, plantains, taro, all fruits, and now that my inflammation is low I eat some white rice as well. For me, I eliminate grains, bad oils, sugar, nightshades, eggs, nuts, and dairy and it keeps the inflammation very low. I feel best if I keep coffee out as well, but I keep going back to decaf coffee.

It might be helpful if you could let us know what type of inflammation you have and what your overall goals are.

Good luck!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast