Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: no sugar OR starch. So where do i get my carbs from?? page 2

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    A lot of the suggestions are not part of the autoimmune protocol or GAPS. Avocadoes are okay.

It would be good to hear from some folks who have done these diets.

Jammies where are you?

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    banana (my favorite) & fibrous veggies.. no "sugar" isn't necessarily talking about fruit.. fruit can be broken into sub-groups.. There are some vary sugar & high glycemix fruits like watermelon which you should avoid, & low glycemic fruits such as berries, apples & pears which won't stimulate your insulin response as "sugar" does..

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    I was on GAPS for about 4 months (got pregnant and couldn't eat enough while being strictly GAPS--meat made me nauseous--so I had to stop). The main thing with GAPS is absolutely no grains or starches (no sweet potato, potato, arrowroot, rice, beans, etc), and eating fruit separate from the meats. Meats and sugars are digested differently, and to digest the sugars they have to be digested separately, or they inflame the gut and feed bad bacteria/yeast. Veggies can be eaten with the meat, since they have enzymes that help break down the food.

You also get a lot of carbs from lacto-fermented foods, like pickles and sauerkraut (you want ones that are fermented, not in vinegar. Bubbies makes lacto-fermented foods), as well as homemade yogurt, kefeir, etc.

Here's the website I learned most everything on: The Diet. I never actually got around to reading the book, but I'm sure it explains things more thoroughly than the website does.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    I get ALL of my carbs from non-starchy carbohydrates! Spinach, green beans, sea vegetables, spaghetti squash, butter lettuce, leeks, etc... It's definitely possible!

JohanJohan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, celery, celery root, onions, brussels sprouts, cabbage or sauerkraut, cauliflour, beets, greens (mustard, collards, kale, beet, dandelion, etc).
    Nice! so all of these have carbs but no sugar or starch??

JohanJohan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiGiEats View Post
    I get ALL of my carbs from non-starchy carbohydrates! Spinach, green beans, sea vegetables, spaghetti squash, butter lettuce, leeks, etc... It's definitely possible!
    thanks. but again i need 100 grams per day.i googled leeks " cup chopped cooked leeks: 3 grams effective (net)". so thats roughly 15 cups of leeks per day to get my crabs. thats impossible.

nice to see that there actually seems to be non starch/sugar sources. but there must be some other a really non tsarch/sugar carb dense veggie out there..

Green Deane Guest
    You don't need carbs in the diet. That said I get what few I do eat mainly from the Brassica family... and some nutmeats.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    You also get a lot of carbs from lacto-fermented foods, like pickles and sauerkraut (you want ones that are fermented, not in vinegar. Bubbies makes lacto-fermented foods), as well as homemade yogurt, kefeir, etc.
    Bubbles says their 'kraut has cultures in them as per the bottle, however they do NOT make this claim on their pickle bottles, and if you read the ingredients, Bubbies pickles have vinegar added suggesting a non-fermented pickle.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiGiEats View Post
    spaghetti squash
    Just so you know, squash is not a starch, no, but it's a sugar. If sugar is to be limited, squash may not be the best choice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast