Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Engaging Your Core page 4

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    The deck will be fine. No snatching on the roof.
    I actually don't think it will. The deck is really way too bouncy. Also, after taking the class, I think I'm not good enough at Olympic lifting to do it on my own. It really does seem like something that requires coaching. Maybe in a future life.

Cross fit is just too expensive. My gym is $22.50 a month and it's a 5 minute walk from my office. I can go before work and at lunch. I can go in the middle of work when I'm bored and nobody will care. I'm not willing to spend $70 or more to go to a gym when I've got such convenience even with the annoyances and stupid rules against lifting stuff over your head.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

diene is offline Senior Member
    Zoe,

Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking? I'd love to take your class, but I guess it's not likely that you're anywhere near me.

I have often wondered about the plank. So I can plank longer than a lot of other people at my box, but it's obvious that they have stronger cores than I do because when I'm doing a negative pullup, I'm swinging around a lot, which means I have no core strength. It's very odd indeed.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Diene,

I'm in New Zealand.

That being said, we can do a skype session and I can set you up with a few exercises at a time to help you align. Mountain pose and sitting properly will be the start, and you'll have DOMS from it if you do it throughout the day diligently (ie, whenever you remember). Just PM me and I can set it up for you.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    yes, it is something that can be learned, but it doesn't always make sense between brain and body.

For example, in my own body, I always *thought* that I was engaging/creating the brain/body connection, but I wasn't in actuality. And all of those teachers and all of that practice over the years, and no one picked up on it until I met Nik (physio) who teaches postural patterning (which is why i'm taking his training in it -- it's designed for physios, but he's teaching me anyway).

What i've learned is that all of my stiffness and aches and pains (not DOMS or muscle soreness) were coming from poor posture -- from the muscles that i was disadvantaging rather than using my muscles properly.

In my teaching, we are getting each of our students their own "keys." This is a separate course that we highly recommend. Once each student has their 3-4 keys (that's where it starts), then in class, I bring attention to their keys and help them find those keys in their postures.

After several months, they advance in those keys (they become more natural and the body starts to straighten out), and we do the workshop a second time to get them 3-4 more keys. Then we work those for several months.

I also give keys in private lessons, as this is a great way to get very specific information about what you need to pay attention to in particular.

I have often *talked* about muscles -- what they are doing in a pose, etc. But I've noticed that people might *think* that they are accessing and "feeling" it because the posture "looks/feels" right to them. But with these keys, I -- and my students -- are finally able to make the brain-body connection and undo those areas of trouble.
    Thanks for the long response Zoe! It reminds me of that postural therapy that begins by aligning the feet (can't remember what it's called).

When you say "keys", are you referring to the foundational aspects of an individual's posture that set the rest of their unique positioning in motion?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    basically. we start at the feet, and then move up -- center of gravity, arches lifting, and up we go. Pelvis is next, then legs to support between those, etc. then up the back, etc.

keys are just where we start. 3-4 specific areas that a person needs to work to get started.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    basically. we start at the feet, and then move up -- center of gravity, arches lifting, and up we go. Pelvis is next, then legs to support between those, etc. then up the back, etc.

keys are just where we start. 3-4 specific areas that a person needs to work to get started.
    Cool! Thanks again for sharing all this.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

bemental is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    My favourite at the moment when I'm in the house, kettle-bell swings and kettle-bell sideways bends!

For the sideways bends you do need to go with a heavy kettlebell, but for the swings even a 12-16kg (25-30lb??) does the job quite well.
    We're talking about one-arm kettlebell for the swings, correct?

vincebae is offline Member
    Kelly Starrett's "Becoming a Supple Leopard" has a great information about how to make a good posture.
    This youtube video is a good introduction for the book: Kelly Starrett: MobilityWod Principles - YouTube

Once you get the idea of good posture, RKC and SFG hard style seems to have a good program to build core strength from the beginning.
    They have the different languages but basically say the same thing as what Kelly says. (However, I prefer Kelly's explanation)

There are tons of exercises for core strength and stability but I think the plank is the simplest but the most important one.

bemental is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vincebae View Post
    Kelly Starrett's "Becoming a Supple Leopard" has a great information about how to make a good posture.
    This youtube video is a good introduction for the book: Kelly Starrett: MobilityWod Principles - YouTube

Once you get the idea of good posture, RKC and SFG hard style seems to have a good program to build core strength from the beginning.
    They have the different languages but basically say the same thing as what Kelly says. (However, I prefer Kelly's explanation)

There are tons of exercises for core strength and stability but I think the plank is the simplest but the most important one.
    +1

One of the best coffee table books I've ever seen.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes engaging core 24/7 takes a lot of practise & habit !!!

London UK

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234