Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: i thought i was buying decaf coffee... page

kiks is offline Member

i thought i was buying decaf coffee...

Primal Fuel
    i saw the 'no caffeine' on the package and grabbed it...when i got home i saw that it's not coffee but 'herbal coffee' made with carob...i haven't brewed any yet...has anyone had it before?

i don't drink coffee since i get nervous/jittery but every now and then wouldn't mind having a cup since i love the taste and figured i'd buy some decaf to have...but i now have this carob stuff instead, should i try it?

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    What's the worst that could happen?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Id try it
    MDA "Would you consider carob to be a source of protein or classify it as an “Occasional Indulgence”?
    Technically, carob is a source of protein. And by that, I mean it contains measurable amounts of protein. Is it a good source of protein? Is it a rich and reliable source of protein? Not really. A cup of carob powder contains just 4.76 grams of protein. The same amount of white potato contains around 2 grams of protein. So, it’s a better source than potatoes, but that’s not saying much.
    Carob should be okay to eat. I wouldn’t even classify it as an Occasional Indulgence; it’s pretty inoffensive, if entirely unexciting. It is exceedingly high in fiber, though – in a cup of carob powder, 41 of the 91 carbohydrate grams come from insoluble fiber – so anyone with existing or suspected GI disorders like IBS might want to hold off on carob. Or not eat a cup of it at once.
    Nutritionally, there’s just not a whole lot to carob. It has a bit of calcium and potassium, but you have to eat a lot to get appreciable amounts of either, and its main claim to fame is as a caffeine-free alternative to cacao that kinda tastes like chocolate. I suppose you could go for carob if you honestly prefer the flavor or can’t tolerate caffeine, but as a source of micronutrients (magnesium, copper, potassium especially) and polyphenols, cacao wins every time. If there’s a carob-flavored dessert you’ve been eyeing, go ahead and try it. The sugar it’s made with may be an issue, but the carob is not.
    If you’re worried about carob being a legume or a seed full of antinutrients, don’t. While carob does come in pods filled with seeds which likely employ various self-defense mechanisms, the seeds aren’t what we eat (they do use them for animal feed, however). We eat the slightly sweet seedless pods themselves – dried and usually ground up into flour. Ironically, the germ of the carob seed is loaded with protein, and scientists are exploring the use of carob germ flour as an alternative protein source."

When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

kiks is offline Member
    ok, i tried it...it didn't taste bad (pretty coffee-ish considering it's not coffee) and no nervous feeling since no caffeine.
    Thanks for your input too!

Paleobird Guest
    Kiks, was what you bought the Teeccino brand?

They have some that are carob and some that are dandelion roots. Delicious stuff.

Barley-Free Dandelion Flavors | Teeccino Herbal Coffee / Coffee Alternative

kiks is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Kiks, was what you bought the Teeccino brand?

They have some that are carob and some that are dandelion roots. Delicious stuff.

Barley-Free Dandelion Flavors | Teeccino Herbal Coffee / Coffee Alternative
    Yes, it is the Teeccino brand, and looks like i grabbed the mocha flavor, i am pleasantly surprised...i was completely unaware of carob before my coffee purchase

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kiks View Post
    Yes, it is the Teeccino brand, and looks like i grabbed the mocha flavor, i am pleasantly surprised...i was completely unaware of carob before my coffee purchase
    I like their dandelion ones because they are grain free. Some of their other varieties have barley (which may or not cause problems for some people).

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    must admit i'm interested in trying it- i've gone off coffee a bit
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Try and find chicory. It was used as a coffee replacement during the two world wars, and I've heard good things.

M.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Try and find chicory. It was used as a coffee replacement during the two world wars, and I've heard good things.

M.
    Yeah, my Dad and Grandma referred to that as "ersatz" coffee. Many of the Teeccino blends include chicory plus something called Ramon Nuts.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast