Thread: My shoulders pop out of place on pullups page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

My shoulders pop out of place on pullups

Shop Now
    Last week my instructor showed us shoulder dislocation stretches. Holy cow, is that a real thing? Are you supposed to be able to do it? I was dying for the next 3 or 4 days. I'd wake up in the middle of the night with my shoulders aching. Obviously I lack something in this department, but I don't know if this is something dangerous to avoid or something to work on.

In my feeble attempts at pullups, that bottom position has always been a bitch. It's when my shoulders pop out at the bottom. I can't figure out how to overcome that without pain. Is it considered proper or improper to not let yourself drop to the hang position on pullups? Because my shoulders popping out of place is really uncomfortable.

So what is the deal with this? Bad, something you should be able to do, a sign that my shoulders are messed up?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    You shouldn't be experiencing that kind of pain after shoulder dislocs. Did you use a dowel or a rope or what?

At the bottom of a pullup, even a dead hang pullup, you don't want to let go of the last little bit of shrug. The lowest you can go while remaining tight is the bottom. Arms straight, of course. Maybe Al Kavadlo or one of the other fitness writers can explain it better than I can if they're around and have the time.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    You definitely need to keep your back and shoulders engaged at the bottom; don't just go limp. I also recommend doing a good amount of resistance band rotator cuff exercises.

Former gymnast with trashed shoulders here.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

wnoblit is offline Junior Member
    Where on the shoulder do you feel the pain? front, side, rear?

Test: If you reach behind your back, how high up can you get with out pain/lack of mobility? Just above the waist or up toward the shoulder blade? Compare to the opposite arm.

If you have relatively good ROM, might be a strength issue in the rotator cuff. Buy a green pt band and Youtube rotator cuff rehab.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I will not go limp at the bottom.

We used a dowel for the stretches. I did them okay and then went on to do snatches and clean and jerks. Later I did some pushups. As the day went on it started to hurt more and took about 5 days to feel better. I can reach my bra strap with my palm with my right hand and with the first joint of my index finger on my left hand.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

wnoblit is offline Junior Member
    Ok, so there's probably no inflammation keeping you from internally rotating the shoulder forward. So that's good!

I'd pop an Aleve when you have pain and really work the rotator cuff. You might want to use the band before you do jerks or pullups just to get it warmed up. It doesn't take much resistance to get a good workout. You can also google rotator cuff isometrics to help with stability in the joint.