Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got blood work, etc. back and am afraid page

Aili is offline Senior Member

got blood work, etc. back and am afraid

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello all
    I did not know where to put this information but chose this section because my test results seem most connected to what I ingest. I am afraid. Why? Because I had a physical last week and got the results....and thought perhaps someone out there in MDA can advise me. Oh, I am female, 61 years.
    To start, since being primal for 2 years, I have had great results in terms of OA inflammation and acid reflux leaving me for good. I still have 30 pounds to lose. In the last few weeks, I have quit dairy. The one thing I do have to an excess is black coffee. I do not smoke, have no alcohol, and generally have a clean diet. My issue with weight loss (or the stubborn pounds that hang on) is too much of a good thing, so I am tracking my food for the last month, trying to keep carbs at about 50, and calories at about 1200 to 1500. Generally I feel OK and am glad to be primal.

Now to the issues...I decided to finally have a physical and that is where I have issues. Three years ago, pre-paleo/primal (my last physical) my BG was 5.1. This time it was 6.4. I got a meter from the doc so I could check, and my BG seems to be in the 6s (this a.m. fasting BG was 6.9!) regardless of the time of day. This a.m. my BP was 113 over 78.
    Yesterday I picked up my blood work results. I include below only the results that are flagged and those that are bantered about usually (I don't know what some terms mean yet.)

under Clinical Chemistry
    ALT= 28 (low)- reference range 30-65 U/L
    triglycerides = 1,34 - reference range .35-2.00 mmol/L
    HDL = 1.51 desirable >1.15
    LDL = 4.03 borderline high 3.40-4.20
    Cholesterol: HDL ratio 4.1 - average for a woman 3.7-6.0
    iron saturation = 15 - reference range 15-50 (just make it into 'normal' range)
    Hs C Reactive Protein = 7.44 - HIGH- reference range .10-3.00

Urea
    eGFR =59 (30-59 consistent with moderate CKD)

Hematology
    MCHC =314 low- reference range 320-360 g/L

differential
    Lymphocytes =1.3 low- reference range1.5-4.0 x 10e9/L

The hematology results I don't get at all, sorry if these stats give you a headache.
    As you might guess I am confused. It seems that I have issues here that need tending. As I read last evening of all the suggestions regarding BG levels, etc. it is all stuff I already do re food intake. Yes, I do need to exercise more consistently and lose the last 30 pounds. I garden, walk and bike ride and do resistance exercise several times a week, but need to formally plan it so that it is consistent.

Can anyone enlighten me with her or his ideas about what they see?

Emmelle is offline Member
    Hi there. I'm not qualified to comment on your blood work but I'm wondering... What did your Doctor say about these tests that made you be scared?

Quote Originally Posted by Emmelle View Post
    Hi there. I'm not qualified to comment on your blood work but I'm wondering... What did your Doctor say about these tests that made you be scared?
    Hi Emmelle...Well, I have not talked to him yet. I picked up the results from the doc's office late yesterday, and have just called for a follow-up appointment, which is on Friday....a few days to worry! The thing I just don't get is how the results can worsen after I've been primal for 2 years, although I have no pain from arthritis which used to keep me up at night.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    nothings dreadful, so don't panic.
    it looks like you're a bit anaemic looking at the iron and the MCHC.
    the low ALT could be due to a UTI its difficult to say without seeing the rest of the LFTs but they were all normal? but a high ALT is much more concern
    Lymphocytes could also be low due a mild infection
    the e before the GFR indicates a formula estimation so doesn't necessarily mean you're in CKD, Dr want a different test for more information
    Cholesterol see griffs primer but they aren't dreadful
    Hs C Reactive Protein. under 10 is classed as normal in the UK. its not used as a predictor of cardiac risk here so I cant comment on that.

there is nothing really dreadful there at all just a couple of things that need tweaking or restesting. but hopefully one of the medics here can comment in more depth

just saw the arthritis post-Hs C Reactive Protein can be affected by that and meds can affect Lymphocytes
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-28-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    nothings dreadful, so don't panic.
    it looks like you're a bit anaemic looking at the iron and the MCHC.
    the low ALT could be due to a UTI its difficult to say without seeing the rest of the LFTs but they were all normal? but a high ALT is much more concern
    Lymphocytes could also be low due a mild infection
    the e before the GFR indicates a formula estimation so doesn't necessarily mean you're in CKD, Dr want a different test for more information
    Cholesterol see griffs primer but they aren't dreadful
    Hs C Reactive Protein. under 10 is classed as normal in the UK. not its used as a predictor of cardiac risk here so I cant comment on that.

there is nothing really dreadful there at all just a couple of things that need tweaking or restesting. but hopefully one of the medics here can comment in more depth

just saw the arthritis post-Hs C Reactive Protein can be affected by that and meds can affect Lymphocytes
    Thanks so much. All the other stuff I did not include with ALT were in the normal range. I take no meds for OA, but since primal, have no pain as before, thus not even the occasional OTC med I had like an Aleve tablet. A friend thinks the C reactive Protein may also be due to a kidney stone, causing inflammation.

you actually sound like a pretty fit lady and there's a lot of people half your age with a much worse blood profile than yours.
    Your fasting bg is a bit high. cutting out milk if you used it is a really good idea ( diabetics use it as the 2nd part of treatment for a hypo as its a slower release carb, glucose is the 1st part to get blood sugar up then the milk keeps it up)
    losing a chunk of that 30lb will more than likely get it back around normal particularly if its midriff podge The pre-diabetes BG might also be adding to the Hs C Reactive Protein.
    post again Friday after you've been. Im a diabetic myself using this WOE to get my total blood sugars down from very abnormal to normal and have had tremendous sucess so far
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

Hi Carbdodger (like the name)Thanks again. It's nice to connect with supportive others. I looked at your blurb at the bottom of your post and am very impressed with your progress, and away from 'diabetic eating for health'. I worked on curriculum on cancer and chronic disease prevention a couple of years ago and found that Health Canada and the NIH in the US are pushers for maintaining diabetes with food, rather than reversing it. I was told when I asked why they suggest eating e.g. bread, that 'we know people want to and will eat it'. Well, when life is at stake, I think people will find many ways to replace that bread, ways that are much more satisfying. TTYS

I have cancer hence the rush to get blood sugars as normal as possible as quickly as possible.
    I had surgery 6 months ago to remove the cancer but it grew back as soon as the area was healed sufficiently- within 2 months ;a nasty aggressive bugger.

I had a more radical surgical revision about 10 weeks ago and changed my diet to this 6 weeks ago.
    At my microscopic exam 8 weeks after 2nd surgery there was no new growth of any abnormal cells at all, not 1. I attribute a lot of this to the change in diet.

Both my oncologist and oncology nutritionist follow this WOE eating. My oncologist wasn't able to suggest it- not enough evidence so not advised by the NHS. When I found out about it through researching I mentioned it to him and he referred me to the nutritionist, off we went and they are behind me 100%

The NHS are the same about the diabetic diet here, I put on over 100lbs on it and totally changed the profile of my diabetes for the worse. By the end of it I was eating about 80% carbs and in a nutritional wasteland. I no longer attend the diabetic clinic its managed much more successfully by my oncologist and GP (who follows Atkins oddly enough)

I am maintaining the 800 calorie on primal which is considered the optimum calorie for reversing diabetes

The decreasing blood glucose has been an excellent motivator and weight loss has been an excellent reinforcer, but the way of eating is tasty, infinitely variable and very filling and for the first time since starting the 'my ass' diabetic diet I'm never hungry. I don't get really high BG or big hypos now and I feel wonderful. I cant see myself ever going back.
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-28-2013 at 03:26 PM.

WOW! Carbdodger. You inspire me! I wish you well in your recovery. Also, if we could find a way to do so, I could scan and send info to you from a Paleo book I bought recently. The author (don't recall her name) has sections for different health concerns. I got it because my godson, already a cancer survivor at 26 years, has recently been diagnosed with an unrelated thyroid cancer.

I am thrilled that tests results have been so positive and for sure food plays a huge role in prevention of dis-ease as well as enhancement of health. I too am never, ever hungry. Just thought, it must be late at night in the UK. Have a great rest! TTYS

sleeps like the proverbial log now, and there's no disturbance to my sleep from the nocturnal peeing due to high blood sugar now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast