Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to begin to work towards pull-ups? page

songsparrow is offline Junior Member

Where to begin to work towards pull-ups?

Shop Now
    Let's say that I want to begin the recommended Primal exercise routine, and start with pushups, pullups, squats and planks twice a week, but I am completely out of shape and I have a ton of weight to lose. There is no way that I'll be pulling up my body weight for a long time, until I drop a lot of weight.

In the meantime, where should I begin? I want to work out in my home. I've seen recommendations for Australian pull ups or resistance-band-assisted pull ups - should I begin with one of these? Can I do them safely in my home? What gear do I need?

Or is there another exercise I should substitute for a while, as I build up my fitness level and lose weight?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Do lots of negatives, letting yourself down slowly. Use your feet at first if necessary.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Do lots of negatives, letting yourself down slowly. Use your feet at first if necessary.

Sent via A-10 Warthog
    I second what Mr Anthony said. do negatives and statics if you can.....Statics into negatives will burn and hurt like hell but if you have the will power to hold through the pain barrier then you will experience good muscle development leading to a better effort in 3 or 4 days time...Keep track of your TUL (Time under Load) and it should increase as time goes by.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Get the You Are Your Own Gym app by Mark Lauren. No real eqpt needed and excellent progressions

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    in thr PBF book (one of the free ones) theres links to videos that show where to start when you're really unfit, like me. Ive started with them - truckload of weight to lose and 6 weeks post surgery. Take a look -its a really good place to start when you don't know much and don't need anything to start- check you got the free books.
    I started with the walking then the wall push-ups,
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-28-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Funny that you should post this today.

I just started body weight progressions from the Fitness 666 web site. My goal is to be doing pull ups by the end of summer. For inspiration, I went on you tube and watched some videos. Just like the recommendations above, most experts recommend starting by lowering yourself down from the bar. I really liked the progression from scooby1961 (How To Do Your First Pull Up).

BTW, I still have about 40 lbs to lose, but I am going for it. Good Luck!
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Your biggest initial limitation with doing negatives might be your grip strength. You might have to start with simply hanging from the bar.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I do a combo of band assisted, hanging from the bar and ring rows. I never did get the hang of using my legs.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I think it's best to start with chin-ups (palms facing you). Last year I was finally able to do chin-ups, I used the bands and negatives to start. I still can't do a pull-up, they are much harder.

Lynna is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast