Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to begin to work towards pull-ups? page 2

diene is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I really hate doing negatives, and I really suck at static holding. I also have really poor grip strength. But I will start doing static holding then negative (lower slowly) on a regular basis. My upper body strength is so terrible that I have trouble doing high-rep pullups even with a band. Either I fail at some point and just stop being able to pull myself up, or I use a band so big that I'm basically bouncing off it and not doing pullups at all.

Any time a WOD includes pullups, I know I'll be the last to finish no matter how fast I do everything else because I will be super slow at the pullups. It's really demotivating. The same goes for pushups, actually. I do them on an incline, with my hands resting on a box, but am still super freaking slow (at least I get super slow after the first 10 or 15). I can do them faster on my knees, but that doesn't feel like doing proper pushups.

Shotglass is offline Member
    Get an inexpensive pull up bar that hangs on a door frame...for that matter you don't even need one: a low hanging tree limb or set of playground monkey bars work but might be harder to grab. Start by using some sort of a chair or box assist to help you do the pulling up then do a negative - which is letting yourself down slowly with little to no assist. Eventually you will be able to do a pull up with no assist. Do as many as you can with no assist then use your legs to complete your goal (12 - 20).
    Good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Don't be so concerned about yesterday, or worried about tomorrow, that you forget to enjoy today.

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    I have tried the PB progression (two-leg assisted, one-leg assisted) etc. and the CC progression (lean back from the wall, Australian pull ups, etc.). I have found the Australian pull ups much more helpful. It took me a couple of months to do even do one real Australian pull up. Quickly I progressed to doing five all the way and another five half way up. I jumped on the pull up bar the other day and was able to do a real pull up. It took much longer for that to happen using the PB progressions for me.

emilyrhk is offline Junior Member
    If you want to improve pull ups specifically I highly recommend Greasing The Groove!

Last summer I did an experiment as I could not do one pull up. I used a door pull up bar and every time I walked past it I did a negative or chair assisted pull ups. I would do this for a few days then have two days off, but there was no strict routine here, simply when I felt weak I would rest, when I felt strong I would recommence.

In 2 weeks I could do an unassisted pull up! I do have quite freakishly fast adaptation to strength stimuli but I was amazed by how quickly this style of training worked. It is recommended not to use it for more than one exercise so as not to overtrain.

Good luck!

tplank is offline Senior Member
    I think Al gives great advice. It worked for me.

Learning to Do a Pull-up

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I got them using a door frame bar. I was in crossfit too - making little progress with the bands or ring rows... About a year in I was so tired of doing ring rows all the time we went and got a bar. It is in the door frame between the kitchen and dining room - so a place where I am a lot. While I made coffee - I'd jump up and do a negative. Drink some coffee - do another one. While cooking, after doing the dishes... etc. I never went to fatigue (I'd do 1 or 2). But I would end up doing 10+ per day. In two weeks I had a strict chin up. Took longer to go from chins to pull ups but I got those too. I'm up to 5 strict pull ups now.

Note: if your box pushes ring rows, those are important for developing lats and back strength but I do not believe that you will ever get a pull up JUST from ring rows. So, do the ring rows while you are there and work the chins/pull ups on your own time. And don't jump the gun with kipping pull ups

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12