Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Babies born by c/s at greater risk for obesity page

Meghanner is offline Senior Member

Babies born by c/s at greater risk for obesity

Primal Fuel
    http://cfpcwp.com/MCDG/wp-content/up...ijo201349a.pdf

Really interesting study and good follow up to another other recent study that looked at gut flora/mode of delivery. I'm hoping this will stimulate greater funding for microflora research.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I was delivered by c-section and fed soy formula. I was obese with high blood pressure by age 1. Only one in the entire family with such growth, only one not breast-fed. I have also had lifelong hormonal imbalance. Uphill battle literally since day one.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Beachbrat is offline Junior Member
    Sorry, disagree. I had both my children by c-sect. Both were nursed, I for 6 weeks the other for 6 months. The youngest was small and petite, a gymnast growing up. She is now a little overweight, but not much, and most of that is a bad diet as a college student. The oldest is maybe 10-15 lbs overweight from a sedentary lifestyle. Genetics, diet, and activity factor more into it then having a c-sect!

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    My twins, almost 23, were born by C-section. They weighed 6lbs 12oz and 6 lbs 15oz and were breast fed for a year. They have always been and continue to be lean.

And obesity runs in the family.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    The c-section, obesity correlation could also be due woman having c-sections often being more unhealthy (gestational diabetes, less strong, etc) than those who are able to give birth vaginally. Not all woman who have c-sections are unhealthy--birth has complications, especially with twins!--so you'll have kids who do perfectly fine after being brought into the world through c-section.

Could the children have been healthier if they got the gut bacteria through delivery? It makes sense, and I hope the child currently residing in my belly will come out vaginally. But, life doesn't always work out perfectly, and I am happy to see many healthy children come from c-sections too!

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Our child will be born by c-section due to my wife's back problems. I was born by that mode and I can categorically say the biggest factor in my being overweight is pure gluttony and ill-informed nutrition knowledge in the family.

sezzajezza84 is offline Junior Member
    I was a c-section baby (cos I was busy doing acrobatics in the womb when I was meant to be making my grand entrance) and I was overweight for a bit (like bmi 26 or something), but I have never been obese.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Gastrointestinal bacteria, huh? I bet that Chinese newborn rescued from the toilet pipes will be super fit and lean.

Or not. Feed your baby breastmilk as intended and s/he will be much better off than those soy-fed babies.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    You guys, this study isn't saying that ALL babies born to c/s are bound to be obese or overweight. It is simply showing a positive correlation between types of gastrointestinal bacteria and metabolic function....that is the take home message.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    You guys, this study isn't saying that ALL babies born to c/s are bound to be obese or overweight. It is simply showing a positive correlation between types of gastrointestinal bacteria and metabolic function....that is the take home message.
    I know, right?

I love the study of gut bacteria. I think it will one day be our savior. We have learned lots, but there is still a lot to learn. Studies like the one you linked above are a great starting point and prove direct correlations between gut bacteria and health.

There is one particular strain of bacteria getting a lot of attention recently: akkermansia mucinphila Akkermansia muciniphila gen. nov., sp. nov., a human intestinal mucin-degrading bacterium

There is one proven way to ensure that gut bacteria are given the best possible living environment: prebiotics

Eating plenty of plant matter loaded with prebiotics (food for gut microbes) ensures that the beneficial bacteria will thrive and out-pace the pathogenic bacteria present. Prebiotics are the oligosaccarides and resistant starches mainly. Fairly easy to get when eating wisely. Impossible to get when obsessing about, and eliminating most carbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast