Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: skinny/fat genes = Conventional Wisdom page

  1. #1
    source99's Avatar
    source99 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    23

    skinny/fat genes = Conventional Wisdom

    Primal Fuel
    Hi All,
    I'm curious what is the research that explains that people are born with either skinny/fat/normal genes? In the Primal blueprint book, Mark refers to the type of genes you have as affecting your natural predisposition to BMI. What is the scientific research that backs this up? It sound a lot like Conventional Wisdom to me. Who is to say that all people aren't naturally predisposed to having a perfect BMI, etc.

    Thanks for your thoughts

    Matt

    I meant to put ??? at the end of my post title

  2. #2
    Diana Renata's Avatar
    Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    5,394
    Check out the book "The Biology of Belief." I don't recall the author, but it's a great read. It talks a lot about how your diet, your environment, your thoughts, etc affect your cells, and which genes turn "on" and "off."

  3. #3
    LX's Avatar
    LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    256
    Speaking for myself, you could look at my family and see that all the women on my dad's side of the family are quite curvy. I am also quite curvy, I very much doubt I'll be able to get my BF much below 25%. On the other hand, women on my mom's side of the family are all pretty slim-hipped. My sister is slim-hipped and would be able to get her BF into the teens if she really wanted to. Likewise, both of us will always have the legs of a draft horse. No amount of exercise or right diet will give us skinny little bird legs.

  4. #4
    Daemonized's Avatar
    Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    2,253
    Quote Originally Posted by LX View Post
    Speaking for myself, you could look at my family and see that all the women on my dad's side of the family are quite curvy. I am also quite curvy, I very much doubt I'll be able to get my BF much below 25%. On the other hand, women on my mom's side of the family are all pretty slim-hipped. My sister is slim-hipped and would be able to get her BF into the teens if she really wanted to. Likewise, both of us will always have the legs of a draft horse. No amount of exercise or right diet will give us skinny little bird legs.
    So, you're say that you come from a family of centaurs? That is some crazy genetics at work. lol

  5. #5
    barry's Avatar
    barry is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Check out the book "The Biology of Belief." I don't recall the author, but it's a great read. It talks a lot about how your diet, your environment, your thoughts, etc affect your cells, and which genes turn "on" and "off."
    I second that, it's written by Bruce Lipton and well worth a read.

  6. #6
    Stabby's Avatar
    Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stabsville
    Posts
    2,462
    Epigenetics looks like a mind trip if there ever was one (there is and it is one!)

    There is probably no such thing as a predisposition to have excess adipose tissue, although there is one to have a larger frame that requires more fat and muscle. Environment is too potent a factor and considering that it isn't genetics but environment that has changed in the last hundred years, I don't see any sense in pointing fingers at genetics for any kind of body fat problems.

    A fairly recent article by Stephan Guynet made a case for omega 6 content of mother's breast milk causing an environmental predisposition to obesity before a child is old enough to talk. It's speculative but considering that increased volume of linoleic acid in the typical western diet contributes to obesity and considering the increase amount in breast milk it's not so far-fetched http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...erational.html
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

    Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

  7. #7
    Get Primal's Avatar
    Get Primal is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    18
    I don't know any of the science behind it, but I am a firm believer that a vast majority of people blame too many problems on genes. Many people claim to have a strong family history of heart disease or diabetes. Could that have anything to do with several generations of the family eating like shit, smoking, not exercising, etc.? You can create a strong family history of many diseases. We've created a worldwide strong family history of cancer due to our dietary habits the last couple hundred years.

    Same thing with body composition. Ever see a family of huge people? They've got family history and are predisposed to being big right? That is until one of them decides to stop eating and start exercising. Then they normalize and the rest of the family no longer has a built-in excuse. I have a family of close friends going back all the way to high school. They were always known as the big family, not capable of overcoming their poor genes. Big boned, pack on weight just looking at food, etc. Fast forward 20 years later and almost every one of them is a picture of fitness. One of the sons got tired of his 'family history' and started exercising. Rest of the family followed suit and the rest was history.

  8. #8
    batty's Avatar
    batty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    cleveland, ohio
    Posts
    2,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    So, you're say that you come from a family of centaurs? That is some crazy genetics at work. lol
    that's hot.


    HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

  9. #9
    MalPaz's Avatar
    MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    2,790
    ANYONE WHO READS SPORTS ILLUSTRATED…THEY HAVE A FEW REALLY GOD ARTICLES ON GENES, SPORTS, AND EPIGENETICS…I WAS QUITE INTRIGUED BY IT…IT TALKED ABOUT HOW we evolved from short fat hairy people who ate tubers, fruits and veggies, and we moved to meat eating causing us to stand upright, to get smarter and to go from slow moving gatherers to having a print ability. They used examples like scaring away a hyena from a antelope or gazelle it killed and scavenging for the brains, stomachs and organs of the animal before the hyena got to it, thus, needing to sprint. It also talks about gene code with disease, like APOE3 and alzheimers…I recommend the articles I enjoyed the reads

  10. #10
    Metismomma's Avatar
    Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    990
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    TA fairly recent article by Stephan Guynet made a case for omega 6 content of mother's breast milk causing an environmental predisposition to obesity before a child is old enough to talk. It's speculative but considering that increased volume of linoleic acid in the typical western diet contributes to obesity and considering the increase amount in breast milk it's not so far-fetched http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...erational.html
    I would be more inclined to look at formula fed babies rather than breastfed babies. There may be an increase in linoleic acid but that doesn't nullify the effects of the leptin or lauric acid in breastmilk.

    I think genetics plays a role in your body "shape" rather than your weight. Don't know if I would call them fat/skinny genes so much as familial evolution. Eh..nvm Get Primal summed it up pretty nicely
    Calm the f**k down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •