Thread: Is my honey raw? page

Mel
    Mel is offline Member

Is my honey raw?

Primal Fuel
    I purchased some honey awhile back from a local shop and after Mark's sugars post, I did some searching into whether or not it was raw. And if not, where else I could look so I can get some raw honey. I didn't have much luck - so I hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction.

In order for honey to be raw does it need to be cloudy and unstrained or is the fact that it isn't heated above a certain temp what makes it raw?

The honey I currently have is strained and heated to 90F. Does that make it raw or should I be searching for a new source?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    ugh... I'm having flashbacks to the endless rawfoodist arguments. "Is it raaaaaaaw?"

Sorry Mel, can't help you.

ChristineCrain is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious about this too. There's a local bee keeper here in town and he has "organic" honey but I don't know if it's considered raw or how to explain to him what I'm even looking for.
    ---
    ~Christine

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    The cooking is the difference. Most commercial brands cook and strain honey to remove potential baddies.

90F isn't hot enough to kill much, but its warm enough to lightly strain it and retard the crystalization process.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Christine, just ask him if it's been pasteurized. They would heat it to over 140 to pasteurize it. Chances are good that producer is providing raw honey, all the honey produders here that are local is raw. I can even get honey comb! Heaven!

ChristineCrain is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I'm willing to bet it's raw. He started keeping bees to help with his apple crops. his apples are all organic and any cider from his farm is unpasteurized. I can't imagine someone that doesn't pasteurize their cider pasteurizing their honey.
    ---
    ~Christine

Mel
    Mel is offline Member
    Thanks everyone! I had read that as long as it wasn't heated over 130F it was considered raw and it hadn't dawned on me that it would be considered unpasturized!

I'm going to keep looking for some locally kept honeycomb, but in the mean time I'll continue with the honey that I have.

Thanks!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, as with all foods, local producers are going to be your best source of info on what they're giving you.

Apiary/bee keeping is really interesting to me, but I don't eat honey much any more anyway.