Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice from those that eat only meal a day/ Warrior Diet page

fitnessfanatic is offline Junior Member

Need advice from those that eat only one meal a day/ Warrior Diet

Shop Now
    Based on my schedule this makes a lot of sense to me and I want to try it out for a good three months.If it works for me. I will be doing it for a very long time. I just have a few questions and concerns:

1. How long will it take for the hunger pains to go away and my body adjust?
    2. Should I eat something small everyday when I wake up or should I just drink water or black coffee then have my one primal meal a day? I prefer drinking water throughout the day then eating something small throughout the day.
    3. If I do need to eat something, what should I eat? Vegetables, hard boiled eggs, canned salmon?
    4. Is it really true I will experience a surge of energy and mental fog will go away?
    5. Why did you choose this way of eating one meal a day?
    6. Have you ran into any issues when going out with friends/family, barbecue's and parties?

For those that are wondering. I work from 3:30 pm to Midnight Monday through Friday. Go to sleep when I get home and wake up and go to school at my local community college.
    Last edited by fitnessfanatic; 05-28-2013 at 01:30 AM.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Hi there,

Go easy if you have never done that, follow pklopp's advice when you approach one meal a day.
    You can also look intop the fast-5 protocol which says about the same thing except that it is not about one meal a day but an eating window of 5 hours. Then you have the Warrior Diet which is based on an undereating window of 20hours, and overeating window of 4 hours.

I personally follow a simple one meal a day without any time window for this or that. My approach was the following (not a conscious decision mind you):

I went ketogenic for many months to get rid of the bulk of my visceral fat and restore my carb tolerance. I discovered that I had no sensation of hunger and was eating by habits so I skipped lunch at work (I spare a lot of money by doing so ). Then I heard about bullet proof coffee. Since I like good coffee in the morning, and I love butter, I switched my breakfast to BPC. After a few weeks, I figured I was having it by habit so I tried to go without the butter. I found myself eating only one meal a day after about 6-7 months ketogenic and a few weeks on BPC in the end. Then I researched whether it was a good thing and found a nice series of articles written by pklopp. It confirmed 100% what my body led me to naturally: that one meal a day is a great WOE so long as you approach it slowly. And the bonus is this: you can eat whatever you want, regardless of macro partitioning. Since I only eat primal (if you include dairy and chocolate ...), be it meat / fish / eggs / tubers / fruits / veggies / fat / nuts / etc, I no longer care whether I eat this or that amount of carbs / fat / etc. I just compose meals according to what is in my fridge and pantry, sometimes low fat high carbs, sometimes 0 carb, sometimes very meaty, and at times we have a fruit orgy or primal ice cream with tons of coconut milk and chocolate

My wife and I also became quite active with regular work-outs which are sometimes intense, sometimes slow but always fun We include the kiddies during those workouts and it always ends up really fun! We do these workouts fasted whereas the evening is really for eating and relaxing (I am uncomfortable with working out on a full stomach ...).

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating a high enough fat diet you'll adjust to one meal a day soon enough. Just keep at it! Eating other foods during the day may make this transition take longer however. I would stick to unsweetened tea and coffee and water during the day. If you feel like you absolutely MUST eat something though, maybe some coconut oil in your coffee or tea might be the best option.

I like eating this way because of all the extra time it gives me to do other things and not be thinking about my next meal or be in the kitchen multiple times a day. When with family and offered food I do my best to simply say that I am not hungry. Some get pushy or worried about my eating habits, but most just let it be at that. If you go out just remember that it's 80/20. Do your best to stay primal, but try not to sweat the small stuff. Being anal about your diet can lead to just as many awkward situations with family and friends as not.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    If you go out just remember that it's 80/20. Do your best to stay primal, but try not to sweat the small stuff. Being anal about your diet can lead to just as many awkward situations with family and friends as not.
    Agree with that. And you know, if you eat say a big brunch with friends or family, feel free to skip dinner

EDIT: I forgot to mention that if you go low carb for a while, make sure you get enough salt. If you go meal free for many hours after you wake up and it makes you feel a little funny (slightly queasy for example), have a pinch of salt and some water.
    Last edited by dkJames; 05-28-2013 at 01:19 AM.

fitnessfanatic is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for the feedback.

I just want to make sure. Don't eat throughout the day even if it's something small.this will delay my results. One primal based meal a day. Coffee or water throughout the day. I plan on drinking only water. I think I'm getting over my own coffee phase.

I know to start slow is the best thing to do. But I feel I need to do this cold turkey. I plan on starting tomorrow. If I start gradually I will go back to my old ways.

I just hope the hunger pains will go away quickly.Also I understand I will feel groggy in the beginning. I hope it goes away fast. i just got a new job and need to perform a 100% everyday.

Also should I take vitamins eating this way?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    No need to take vitamins or supplements unless you think you ate missing out on something essential in your diet from your one meal a day.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member

Dickson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    Agreed. The Warrior Diet is much more complex than a fasting protocol of 20/4.

Fasting CAN be done every day for 20 hours, but can you do that now until you die? On a high fat, low carb diet? Sounds terrible to me.

The Warrior Diet method is much more sustainable, in my opinion. Eat raw and light throughout the day (veggies, fruit, plain kefir, almonds) and have the majority of your calories at night. Save the raw almonds for the last few hours of the undereating period. Don't obsess over windows, your feast can be 4-10pm or 8-9pm, whatever you need to eat until full. Eat high carb, low fat some nights and low carb, high fat others.

I've found this method works well for me, and I've had success with it while still eating fairly high carb (under 200g) and drinking beer liberally.

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    I would absolutely recommend taking time transitioning to eating one meal a day. The results are worth the effort.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessfanatic View Post
    Based on my schedule this makes a lot of sense to me and I want to try it out for a good three months.If it works for me. I will be doing it for a very long time. I just have a few questions and concerns:

1. How long will it take for the hunger pains to go away and my body adjust?
    For me, it took about 6 weeks of "carb flu" type symptoms to go away.. I guess the determination of time for this adjustment would be dependent on reliant your body is on constant feedings.. I'm pretty lean as was, so I guess my body is used to using its own fat stores as energy, me adapating to one meal a day was pretty simple.. Also, the less sugar (& even fruit) I eat during one big meal the less I get hungry.. I like fatty meals.. My one big meal is usually 1-2lbs of beef, 6 eggs cooked in olive oil, an avocado, veg medley, 1 cup of yogurt with a banana & some almonds.. that's a pretty fatty meal so I feel satiated for a solid 16-20 hours.. If I binge on fruit or have a cheat meal for my one big meal, I get hungry a lot quicker.. Simply stated from my experience, Sugar & Grain makes me more Hungry.. Its like a drug, I can easily become addicted to sugar & need it all day.. I still have to keep my one meal lower carb

2. Should I eat something small everyday when I wake up or should I just drink water or black coffee then have my one primal meal a day? I prefer drinking water throughout the day then eating something small throughout the day.
    This would be personal preference I guess.. For me, when I say "fast" I really don't eat or drink any calories until that meal.. My body feels, works & looks better with just water running through my system until the big meal hits

3. If I do need to eat something, what should I eat? Vegetables, hard boiled eggs, canned salmon? If you do need to eat something I think the veggies would be a great option.. Just stick to whole foods & cycle your way into this.. If you're hungry then eat.. You don't have to come out of the gates swinging @ 1 meal a day & living miserable until you adapt.. Scale it down to 3, then try & pull off 2 with a small snack & work your way into feeling good with no food all day with exception to that one meal.. Me eating one meal a day is more convenient than anything for me, that's why I eat like this.. but if I'm hungry around dinner (even after my huge warrior lunch) I'll still eat a piece of meat & veggies.. MEat & veggies are the key to me, don't really need to anything other than that

4. Is it really true I will experience a surge of energy and mental fog will go away?
    The mental fog has disappeared from me & I'm actually more clear now than ever when I'm not eating.. Something about your body going through the exhausting digestive process that wears me down.. My energy is highest & I feel my best on an empty stomach.. I workout with any empty stomach & run my business on an empty stomach.. I feel great fasting, but when I do eat, my body absorbs nutrients so well because my digestive tract is healthy & ready to be fed.. Even when I cheat now my digestive system handles bad food really well.. All of my intolerances & allergies have somewhat disappeared.. Eating one huge meal a day (or sometimes 2 meals) feels so natural & efficient for my body, I assume you may feel the same when you adapt

5. Why did you choose this way of eating one meal a day?
    I chose this because of convenience.. It just makes sense for my schedule & allows me to be more productive in my business & other things.. I never realized how inconvenient eating 3-5 times a day was.. I also look better now, I love binging on things (ha) so when it comes time to eat, I like the idea of eating a large meal.. Guess its just not in my DNA to "nibble".. When I eat, I like to EAT

6. Have you ran into any issues when going out with friends/family, barbecue's and parties?
    Never had an issue.. If I know I'm going to be eating a huge meal or going to a BBQ or party, I just plan that as my meal.. & Also, don't be dogmatic to this.. If you have a day where there's food around you or a social setting/holiday where you need to eat 3 times a day, have at it.. That's the beauty of eating this way.. If you can consistently feed your body one large meal a day, you probably won't run into consistent calorie surpluses.. This allows you to go nuts every onces in a while & satisfy cravings.. For me, this isn't about a "diet" or accomplishing anything.. It just feels natural to me & the way my body wants to be operated.. I get more done not eating all the time, my body feels better & of course I stay as lean as I want to be

For those that are wondering. I work from 3:30 pm to Midnight Monday through Friday. Go to sleep when I get home and wake up and go to school at my local community college.
    Answers to your questions above ^^^^^^^^^

That's a big schedule! Just make sure you're getting enough calories.. If you need to eat a huge meal & another snack that's fine.. See what feels right & experiment.. I would pick a plan though & try to be consistent because this sounds like a new eating style you're approaching here & will take some adapting.. You will be foggy & hungry for a little while till your body switches to that fat metabolism for energy & less reliant on sugar metabolism for fuel

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by abc123; 05-28-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast