Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dental tourism? Anybody done it? page 2

mirsald is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have dental insurance, but dental insurance really sucks and doesn't really cover anything useful. My partner is on my insurance and would like to get about $15,000 worth of cosmetic dentistry. Meanwhile, I had some crowns done a little more than a year ago for the price of a small car and since then I cannot chew my food or close my mouth properly. I'm hesitant to spend any more money to fix it. It suddenly popped into my head that lots of people travel to get elective surgeries, I wonder if they do it for dentistry. I think we could go to as close as Tijuana for decent dentistry, making this a fairly easy thing to do.

Has anyone here done any dental tourism? Was your experience good?
    What interests you?

I can tell you all the information, because it's my day job. I have information for all countries, Mexico, Turkey, Croatia, etc.

JenniferCampbell is offline Junior Member
    My mother in-law had a great experience with dental tourism to Mexico. She visited a dentist in Cancun Mexico. With just 3 crowns and 1 root canal she saved enough to pay for her entire holiday and still had money left over compared to the cost in Edmonton (Canada). She used a dental referral service that helps Canadians find good, reliable dentists in Mexico. She was very happy as they don't charge for the service.

kkarrolle is offline Senior Member
    Thailand is good for medical tourism including dental, and is popular with Australians for cosmetic surgery. I had lasik eye surgery at the international hospital Bumrungrad.

I gather from tripadvisor forums that major dental work is probably a third (if that) of the cost of having it done in Australia. My lasik was less than a third of the cost. I had a three week holiday as well and even with airfares and accommodation on top of the surgery cost it was still cheaper than having lasik done in Australia. Four years on...eyes still going great.
    Achieving goals takes a backbone not a wishbone

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    hey SBhikes - did you & boyfriend do this? FWIW, my friend lives in Jamaica and raves about the dental services there. So much that when she has visitors, she gets them cleaning appts. as a gift - hilarious, right? But she says its a big destination for vacationing professionals from around the world and they organize retreats and seminars to coincide with these trips--and perform these w/ newest equipment/techniques. They use the sonic descaler (instead of the lovely scraping method) and while I pay an arm and a leg to get that done here, I think it was around $50 USD there.

She also has a retreat at her home, in the hills outside Ocho Rios

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

JenniferCampbell is offline Junior Member
    Here in Canada, dental tourism is what they call going to Mexico to see the dentist (although I suppose a person could go to Jamaica or other places too). My mother-in-law was concerned about whether a dentist in Mexico would be regulated and have good qualifications like they do in Canada. That's why she went through a dental tourism company. I think they're based in Edmonton. I'll see if I can find out the name. Apparently they really made it easy and put her mind at ease.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    The biggest cost is the appliances, I see crowns and bridges imported every day... 2-10$ from China, they then get horribly marked up by the doctors stateside and/or whoever they buy them from... so I'd suspect China will ultimately be the cheapest, being the source of the bulk of them anyway.
    Last edited by ryanmercer; 12-11-2013 at 05:13 AM.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    The biggest cost is the appliances, I see crowns and bridges imported every day... 2-10$ from China, they then get horribly marked up by the doctors stateside and/or whoever they buy them from... so I'd suspect China will ultimately be the cheapest, being the source of the bulk of them anyway.
    Crowns and such are manufactured and shaped in dental labs though. A friend of mine does this for a living. I think a large percentage of the cost is the materials and the labor of producing them.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Crowns and such are manufactured and shaped in dental labs though. A friend of mine does this for a living. I think a large percentage of the cost is the materials and the labor of producing them.
    Not always. I know, I see dozens and dozens a day and I'm only one of a hundred or so people in my office. I clear international freight through customs, a lot of offices make the molds, fedex them to China and then get them made for a few bucks and fedexed back.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I have not done dental tourism, but I have received medical treatment in Mexico. I got a really bad UTI while in Cancun, and I received some anti-biotics in the form of a shot and also pills, they gave me pain meds and pro-biotics, as well as a dosage for my partner in case the bacteria spread around 'down there.' Anyway the entire treatment (a doctor's visit, four scripts and a shot) were $200 USD (with no insurance). Now I have had UTIs before in the USA, and you might be able to get one prescription and a doctor's examination for $200 (if you have insurance, if not probably way more), but you would not get anything else. You have to pee in a cup, which costs money cause they do lab testing. Then you have to pay for the doctor's visit and so on, and also pay the prescription. In Mexico I got an anti-biotic shot because they wanted to make sure I didn't come back, I left with some prescriptions too, all for $200. A fair price indeed.

I can tell you that the doctor I had in Mexico went to med school in the USA. Many of them do. But overhead costs are lower in Mexico, doctors don't get paid exuberant wages, pharmacy isn't jacked up to cover the cost of development--so medical costs a hell of a lot less for basically the same quality.

My step dad went to Mexico to get cosmetic surgery on a scar, too.

I can't imagine dental would be too much different from medical, but I wanted to share this information with you. I would go to a touristy area like Cancun or Tijuana, a lot of the resorts hire doctors and they hire the best for their customers.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My boyfriend got dental work in Mexico just a couple weeks ago. It was such a resounding success that I will probably do the same thing myself.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast