Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal...great results so far, need some critiquing page

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal...great results so far, need some critiquing

Primal Fuel
    I went paleo/primal back in mid-December when I hit a weight that I was not happy about. At 5'8" I've always had a stalky athletic build, and typically weigh in around the 170-180 range. 2009 was filled with a lot of craziness, our second child was born (which meant little sleep), I was traveling for a good month straight for my job, and eating like crap had become a norm. Workouts were too infrequent. I did not like where I was headed, and then mid to end December I stepped on the scale and knew it was bad. I hit 205, which was my all time high...and there was not a lot of muscle mass on me....looking in the mirror it was obvious.

I went really strong for about 3 months and since about the past 1-2 months I have plateaued a little bit, so I am hoping put down my progress and thoughts might help me a little bit more to break through. I'm down to about 182-185. My bf% is about 15% right now (I measure with a Tanita scale)....I'd like to be around 10-12%. My progress has been amazing so far, I don't mean to discount it, just frustrated since the slow down. I've felt better than I have in a long time cutting out all of the extra crap....dairy, grains etc....I never realized how bloated I felt on a daily basis until I took all that out of the equation.

My workout cycle is this:

Day 1 (Mondays)
    HIT - superset every group of 2 exercises, all to failure
    Squats (full range)
    Standing Milt Press
    Weighted Pull-up
    Bench
    Seated Calf Raise
    Side Raise
    Alternating dumbbell curl
    Weighted Dip

Day 2 (Wednesdays)
    5x5
    Deadlifts
    Shrugs
    Row
    Incline Bench

Day 3 (Saturdays)
    Functional Day (all exercises 2 sets, 10 reps)
    SLDL
    Hanging jerk
    Weighted Chin-up
    Explosive smith bench (push bar up past hands and catch when down)
    1 hand snatch (kettlebell)
    Box jumps
    Lateral jumps w weights (go from side to side one 1 foot)
    Pushups integrated with dumbbell rows

Day 4 (Sundays)
    Abs and Sprints
    OH Squats
    Medicine ball slam
    Hanging suitcase lift
    Hanging leg raise
    Rubberband crunch
    Cable crunch
    Decline ball twist
    Incline oblique dip
    Sprints

My eating is great Monday - Friday lunch....then it seems like Friday dinner has been ritually dubbed pizza night at my house. I'd be ok with that...but it starts a downward spiral of poor eating throughout the weekend. I've got two little guys in the house who eat great, as does my wife, it just seems like I'm never really prepared when we're out of the house all day on the weekends, and it results in some pooor choices. So any advice or motivation as I start to post some of the daily activities up here is greatly appreciated...

So far Monday has allowed me to get back into the swing of things:

Workout
    Squats: 300 - 8, 6
    Standing Milt 135 - 9, 6
    Weighted Pull-up +35 - 9, 5
    Bench 235 - 8, 5
    Seated Calf 140 - 13, 10
    Side Raise 40 - 9, 6
    Alt DB Curl - 5, 3
    Weighted Dip +65 - 9, 6

Consumption:
    Pre workout: Apple with almond butter (plus caffeine for workout)
    Post workout: shake (egg protein plus a little amond butter)
    Snack: 4 carrots
    Lunch: Huge salad with lots of vegs, some olives and chicken breast (a little balsamic and oil)

Dinner will probably be either flank steak or chicken breast with broccoli. Then some berries and a cassein protein shake before bed.

No workout this morning, day off

I ate breakfast this morning....two eggs over medium with thin steak and a pan full of broccoli and spinach all cooked in coconut oil...mmmmm....

My test will be at lunch. Going to an upscale restaurant to take out a client...this is where things can get tricky for me. The mtgs typically consist of myself, a partner or two and the client..... I'll probably go with the tuna nicoise salad as it is primal (just get the dressing on the side, though it's pretty much lemon and oil anyway) with vegs and rare tuna. I brought a couple snacks....apple and some steak with vegs. Dinner tonight will probably be a chicken breast with a plate full of sauteed vegs, then just my casein shake and some berries before bed.

Yesterday was fairly successful.

Pre-workout - banana and caffeine
    Post-workout - egg protein plus almond milk and almond butter
    Lunch - Heaping salad with deli turkey (not typically first choice, but was at a catered lunch....so had to rip the turkey from inside sandwiches...)
    Snack - flank steak with spinach
    Dinner - cheated....lobster bisque from the New England Soup Factory....my wife hit a bout of the flu or something so she asked for turkey noodle from there...and we seldom go...and it's hard to pass it by...it's that good...so I am ok with using 1 cheat for that this week

Workout:
    all 5x5
    Deadlift - 255
    Shrug - 335
    Seated Row - 220
    Incline Bench - 200

This morning started off right with 2 eggs, some thin steak and spinach all in coconut oil. Not sure what lunch will entail , but I am sure a large salad. For dinner I think I am making fish tacos for the fam...using bib lettuce instead of tortillas...and my son loves the avocado sauce I put on them

So it's been a few days since I posted, but here's the quick and dirty. Eating has been great except Saturday night when some of my family and I ventured to a local creamery and I think I forgot I was not filming Man vs Food. Let's just say I finished an ice cream that should not have ever been thought of...but it was delicious. Sunday I fasted until 4:30 and broke the fast with a habanero buffalo burger with avocado sauce and sauteed vegs in coconut oil.

I only got a Saturday workout in, no sprints has I had my boys by myself this weekend, with my better half away for the weekend.

Today's workout was great:

HIT
    Squats 305 - 9, 6
    Standing Milt Press 135 - 8, 6
    Pull-up +35 - 9, 6
    Bench 240 - 7, 4
    Seated Calf 140 - 14, 11
    Side Raise 40 - 9, 6
    Alt DB Curl 45 - 7, 4
    Dip +65 - 9, 7

Going to move forward with more IF. I just put down some casein protein at 9 tonight, so I'll try and keep off from eating until at least lunch tomorrow. I am going to try and fast for decent periods on non-workout days. On days when at the gym at 6 am, I'll limit intake for the most part, but will just have some protein post workout.

I had been of an absent week last week. I was traveling a lot for work, which resulted in living out of a suitcase, and eating out every meal. I did ok with most of the eating....but I did go crazy a couple meals. In general an ok week. I missed a couple of my workouts as well, just because I didn't get home until Friday, and the weekend was spent with my boys and wife as much as possible.

Today had a great workout back into the swing of things:
    Squats 310 - 9, 7
    Standing Milt Press 135 - 9, 6
    Pull-up +40 - 9, 6
    Bench 240 - 9, 5
    Seat Calf 140 - 15, 12
    Side Raise 45 - 8, 5
    DB Curl 45 - 8, 6
    Dip +75 - 8, 5

I have also decided to try fasting a little more stringent. I will be trying to do fasts x2 a week for just about 24 hr periods. I am definitely not trying to put size on right now, trying to get through the plateau of my weight loss. Going to try and keep on the 85% paleo for the week. As long as the weights don't take real hits, I'll see how this goes. Any thoughts are always appreciated.

I had a good day eating today. I had originally planned on doing a 20-24 hr fast through today, however lunch with a client dictated otherwise. The fast ended up being about 15 hrs, so a little under what I wanted, but I am trying to get 2 of these in a week (next one is Thursday). Here's what I put down today:

- large salad with chicken, avocado, pineapple, and oil/lemon juice dressing

- 2 eggs over medium with 2 strips of bacon, drizzled with my homemade red pepper aioli and homemade avocado sauce

- plate of cauliflower (wife makes it great), steak tips marinated in olive oil and herbs (also drizzled with the 2 sauces) and about half a mango

- mark's banana pancake (egg, almond butter, cocoa powder) cooked in coconut oil and 1 cup almond milk with .75 scoop of casein protein powder

Tomorrow is my 5x5 workout in the am, so need to head to bed soon to get some rest

So far so good today. Had my pre-workout shake (almond milk, egg protein and BCAA) and then hit my 5x5.

Deadlift 260
    Shrug 335
    Row 225
    Incline Press 205

Not sure what is for lunch...I have been horrible about getting food ready for my lunches at work, but have still been trying to be smart about it when I grab something out...typically the make your own salad place where I can just choose what goes on it. Also made sure to start wearing my VFFs into work. I hadn't been for a horrible reason....laziness of changing shoes when I got to work....but realized walking almost a mile in dress shoes...truly not something I enjoy...so VFFs it is, and it's always great to see the looks I get while walking in the city as I walk in business clothes and my "feet shoes", as my 3 yr old calls them.

My fast was cut short again on Thursday because one of my staff needed a "mentor lunch"....oh the things I do for them... I ended up fasting for about 16 hrs though and did it was ease. Eating has been a little off, but nothing too horrible. Lately I've been taking in about 1-2 cups of whole milk a week. I had cut out dairy totally before, but it seems to have found its way back in. We'll see how I do with it. I haven't had horrible bloating or anything yet....though I did a little last night because I took off a meal and had 2 slices of bread. There wasn't much for dinner...and after seeing my 3 yr old wolf down a pb&j....I had to go for the almond butter and have one myself.

Just need to behave a bit with the eating this weekend as I'll probably spend some time at my parents house while my wife is away, so the boys and I can hang there, but the danger is my mom keeps her freezer better stocked than the local ice cream place.

Haven't been on here in a few days as the weekend was a bit crazier for me than normal, the Mrs was out of town so I had the boys to myself. I got my Day 3 workout in Saturday, but Sunday was a no go as I didn't have anyone to watch the boys. We were outside a good amount though. Eating was ok for the weekend, nothing horrible, but nothing worthy of a gold star.

Monday I wasn't able to get to the gym for the same reason as Sunday and unfortunately I slept in yesterday so I didn't get that workout in...not happy with myself about that, but just moving on. Ate ok both days, but again need to refine a couple things. My wife flew home on Monday and brought back carmel/chocolate covered popcorn....damn it. Not sure what was with me....I took fistfuls...typically wouldn't go crazy like that. Yesterday was much better in general. Had good clean meals. For dinner I was obviously starving as I put down 2 buffalo burgers (sans buns), a chicken breast and a plate full of broccoli. Finished that off with some strawberries and a bit later made a banana pancake and washed it down with a casein protein shake.

Today has been good so far. Worked out without eating...actually felt great. Had a post workout shake of egg protein and almond butter. Also soon as I got home before the shake I had about 3 oz of carrot juice in order to take my supplements (creatine, glutamine and BCAA's). Heading to lunch soon and will prob just get a salad with meat....mmmmm....meat.

Workout was great this morning:

Squats 315 - 8, 6
    Standing Milt 140 - 8, 5
    Pull-up +40 - 9, 6
    Bench 245 (no spot today) - 7, 5
    Calf 140 - 15, 10
    Side Raise 45 - 9, 5
    Alt DB Curl 50 - 6, 4
    Dip +75 - 9, 6

Extremely happy about hitting my squats up to 3 plates and powering through them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast