Thread: Brats page

TonyE is offline Member

Brats

Primal Fuel
    R hamburgers and Brats primal? I know it is meat but would this cause a person to get fat?

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    If you eat the whole child at once, yes it will probably make you fat

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Haha, good one Mikki! They can definitely be considered Primal, though some choices are better than others. Some brats (see Johnsonville and most other name brands) have small amounts of added corn syrup, dextrose, and other fillers, but the amount is very small, so it's still a decent choice. Ideally you could get brats made from pastured pork and spices as the only ingredients, but as is often said around here "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good". A bargain bin brat beats grains and lot of other crap you could be eating in its place any day of the week.

Also, hamburgers are primal too, but be wary of the mass produced, pre-formed ground patties. They have been linked to outbreaks of food poisoning recently.

And meat of any kind WILL NOT MAKE YOU FAT!! Carbs will make you gain fat more than anything else. Meat is the most nutritious type of food. There are many "carnivores" here, and I think most of them are pretty lean. It's almost impossible to eat too much if you eat only meat.

Agatsu is offline Member
    A local butcher shop may have some available without fillers and such. That's how I get mine, but then again, I'm in Wisconsin. The land of brats, beer, and cheese (and morbid obesity).
    Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
    - Ralph Marston

TonyE is offline Member
    I am in Wisconsin also!!! Brats beer oh yeah!!!!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikkiB View Post
    If you eat the whole child at once, yes it will probably make you fat
    Lol, that's priceless. When I saw the title I thought this was going to be about someone complaining about someone else's kids.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Both my grass-fed beef site and my bison have brats with no additives. I buy beef from Wellness Beef and bison from North Star Bison. Both have excellent customer service.

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    There are some traditional German butcher shops near where I live in LA. Alpine Village Market in particular has an outstanding selection. Head cheese, knackwurst, brats, Hungarian bacon, and much, much more. Some of the local Oktoberfests have some outstanding meats. The German club in Anaheim often roasts a whole steer. Skip the potato salad and double up on the sauerkraut and you've got a very primal meal. A hint for home prep of sauerkraut: don't cook it too long and add a big dab of butter, or bacon or chicken fat. Prost!