Thread: Newbie from Oxford, UK page

Sue991 is offline Member

Newbie from Oxford, UK

Primal Fuel
    Hi
    I am on day 9 of attempting to eat more primal food. So far it's been OK but due to some of my personal food preferences (don't eat meat and don't like many veggies) I've been eating a lot of fish, nuts and fruit. Hopefully this will still work OK for me or I'll just have to start eating more veg. I'm also on the second week of the lean phase of Chalean Extreme.

I have a bodybugg (or kifit here in the UK) and found that although I was eating approximately 800 calories less than I was expending my weight didn't change at all (even with the CLX). After doing some on-line research I found this site, brought the book and started what I hope to be a life change.

It's great to read all about your success and get some receipe ideas and I hope I'll be able to post my success story soon.

Are there many UK primal folks out there? If so, where do you get almond butter and your coconut oil from??

Thanks

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue991 View Post
    Are there many UK primal folks out there? If so, where do you get almond butter and your coconut oil from??

Thanks
    I have a local health food shop that stocks it, and Holland & Barratt do too.

Welcome to the site. I look forward to hearing of your sucess. What are your goals?

Sue991 is offline Member
    Hi Jo
    Thanks. I am 5' 0" tall and currently weigh 135lbs. I want to lose the excess covering of blubber that I've been carrying around for about as long as I can remember so I look and feel fitter. Also my father had rheumatoid arthritis which concerns me as I don't want to suffer the way he did. As I'm now 46 I've got to a stage where I'm looking for better health as I get older and this looks as though it's exactly what I'm after. I'd love to get around 20% body fat or lower, currently I'm at 34%!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Hi! *waves*
    I have family near Oxford, though I haven't visited yet....
    Mark's wife Carrie is vegetarian http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-...stion-roundup/ You might also find your tastes changing, so keep trying different veggies - e.g. I used to love the sourness of grapefruit and now find it sweet!

shadgal is offline Senior Member

Talking Mid 40s gals

Quote Originally Posted by Sue991 View Post
    Hi Jo
    Thanks. I am 5' 0" tall and currently weigh 135lbs. I want to lose the excess covering of blubber that I've been carrying around for about as long as I can remember so I look and feel fitter. Also my father had rheumatoid arthritis which concerns me as I don't want to suffer the way he did. As I'm now 46 I've got to a stage where I'm looking for better health as I get older and this looks as though it's exactly what I'm after. I'd love to get around 20% body fat or lower, currently I'm at 34%!
    Hi Sue991, I am 45 and have just started on the primal path. I was finding it hard to lose the excess fat I put on after having two very large babies 13 and 9 years ago...well that's the excuse I'm using anyway. I am 5' 11" tall and about 178lbs and would like to lose 10-20lbs mostly from my middle which is a huge blubbery mass! So far I have lost 3cm off my waist and about 1 kg (2lbs). I go to Curves 3 times a week and walk twice a week and today did a couple of sprints for the first time and felt good afterwards. I do have some free weights at home and will do some intense lifting but only for 10 mins or so. My eating is good but I do sometimes have quarter cup porridge with cream and fruit for breakfast. I don't like eggs first thing in the morning and sometimes I have a protein smoothie but going into winter here this is not always desirable. Maybe I should have a hot smoothie instead! anyone got any recipes? I have made myself some protein bars but they do contain some oats and honey but I have fiddled around with the recipe and taken out half the honey and put in coconut oil and butter, swapped the peanut butter for tahini, a mountain of seeds and nuts and cocoa powder.
    I'm originally from Basildon in Berks near Reading, Oxford is lovely by the way.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member
    Hi Sue!

I've just come back to the MDA website, but have essentially been eating primal since the beginning of October 2009. I used to exercise a ton, but never really saw much of a result in the fat loss department. Then I tried out a gluten free and mostly dairy free diet, along with cutting out inflammatory foods. The results have been fantastic for me. I do much less exercise, but concentrate on lifting heavy things. I'm not allowed to run as I had a herniated disc in the middle of all of my initial PB journey. It's now healed, but I keep away from the running. I do walk a great deal though

I have lost loads of weight and inches. Even the other week, someone I hadn't seen since last autumn was a great confidence booster in tleeing me how great I looked. I spent most of my life thinking I was doomed to be one of the fat and happy brigade. It just isn't true (I'm 39).

As for almond butter - Holland & Barratt. Coconut oil - my local health food store.

Good luck!!

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    ooh, Oxford, how lovely. I always wanted to go to Oxford to study. (neither the breeding, the money or the brains...)

I'm in my mid 40s too. The good thing is that starting at this age, I feel confident it's not too late to undo a fair bit of damage.

I've been including oat porridge occasionally too, as I find it easy on my digestion. I got some gluten-free rice porridge today (still carby, but at least no gluten) and I thought I'd experiment with that along with some coconut flour and grated apple or something. I find if I do have one 'carby' meal I need to really be quite strict with the others - a day with a couple of carby elements seems to really ramp up my hunger levels.

My favorite breakfast at the moment is banana-almondbutter pancakes (I add a bit of flax and coconut). I'm going to try making some sort of savory cheese pancake, they'd go well with coffee.