Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat, sick, and nearly dead page

heatherok is offline Junior Member

Fat, sick, and nearly dead

Shop Now
    Hi guys,

To begin, I am 32, female, 325 pounds, and borderline diabetic. I recently watched the movie "Fat, sick, and nearly dead," which documents a fat man going on a 60 day juice fast. (He drinks only veggies and fruits he juices.) He has great results. So, being highly suggestible, I ordered a nice juicer immediately. But then I remembered you good people. Can someone explain why a primal diet is really better than a juice fast? Can juicing be a part of a primal diet? When I've done primal in the past, I've mainly stuck to high fat meets with veggies as an afterthought, and I never make it past the carb flu without giving up.

I thank you in advance for your advice!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back, Heatherok. Good luck on your goal of reversing your diabetes.

To me, the most obvious reason for choosing a primal diet over a juice fast is that you will be able to continue with it for the rest of your life of continually improving health while a juice fast is obviously a temporary measure.

I don't know very much about diabetes but it seems to me that it would be a good idea to limit fruit at first as they are very high in sugars, and concentrate more on veges which are a very important source of nutrients. I don't see why you shouldn't eat primal meats and eggs and juice your veges if that will help you eat more of them while you are starting out. But in the long run it would be desirable to learn lots of delicious ways to serve them. Good luck.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Both works, sure, but it's up to you whether you want to drink your meals for the rest of your life or actually develop good habits that will be a sustainable lifestyle. That's what primal is: a lifestyle. Juicing is boring as hell. I like to eat and chew things, but that's just me. The thought of drinking my food for however long just makes me suicidal. It's a step up from tube feeding, IMO.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

marthat is offline Senior Member
    You can get the "juice" of many more veggies from a juicer than what you could eat, and you tend to use a wide variety each time . But you don't get the pulp. That said, a good juicer will extract most of the cellular and inter-cellular fluids, so you get all the dissolved nutrients.

I have a juicer and have enjoyed using it at times. Other times it sits in the cupboard. My suggestion would be that you use juicing as a supplemental addition to a really clean primal diet. For example, make juice and have fresh juice for B and take a 2 cup or more serving for lunch (pint mason jars work well for this - keep refrigerated and shake to reblend before drinking). Then have a good protein and fat rich supper (meat, vegetables, good fats). A few weeks of that as a kickstart, then maybe add in a second meal and reduce the juice to one large serving a day.

When juicing, go easy on the high sugar fruits. One apple and 1-2 carrots are nice to add sweetness to a batch of juice, but the rest should be low sugar and high water content - celery, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, all sorts of greens (spinach, kale, chard, romaine, etc). You can add flavour and further nutrients by adding fresh gingerroot or fresh garlic clove, but experiment with caution- they are potent in their raw state.

The two concepts are certainly not mutually exclusive. Good luck with your experimentation and congrats on taking control of your health!

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    hiya heatherok,
    as a diabetic myself I'd say don't juice. With veggie juice youre turning a relatively slow to process carbohydrate into a much more accessible and quicker acting carb. with fruits youre turning a relatively fast to process carbohydrate into an immediately accessible one. These have profound negative effects on my glucose profile. the fibre also acts to fill you up but with juicing you lose the effect.
    Fatty meat has a negligible effect on glucose, and it is satisfying. Vegetables offer good nutrition, some carbs and variety and bulk in the gut.
    Id stay stick with the primal approach.
    As borderline diabetic a day comprising of high blood glucose spikes is not going to help your beta cells and a period of this could be really hard on them; you should be protecting them- after all they are all that's between you and diabetes.
    Avoid developing diabetes - it makes life a bitch.

I've had excellent results on 6 weeks primal ,I've lost over 40lbs and have brought my blood glucose profile down to almost normal
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-27-2013 at 04:49 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

momrn is offline Member
    You won't ever lose weight unless you change what's going on between your ears.

I know that sounds harsh, but let's get down to the dirty. You might misplace it temporarily with a juice fast, but it will come back.

Do you get why that is a ridiculous question? Juice for the rest of your life or whole, unprocessed meats, vegetables, fruits, and fats? How can you question that? I know, because you are desperate to lose weight. We fatties and former fatties can never, ever just "lose" weight. We will have to be diligent the rest of our lives. Primal is the easiest and most satisfying way I have found with the least amount of deprivation. However, there will always be times when we fatties have to say no.

Girl, you have got to make a change. A real change. Carb flu is nothing compared to dialysis or losing a limb. Suck it up. Throw all the crap in your house away and go walk as far as you can today. Make a decent meal out of quality ingredients. Repeat over and over until you aren't obese anymore.

I feel for you. It IS hard. But being fat is way, way harder. Been there, done that, work every day to stay in the medium t-shirt.

You can do this.

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    If you haven't read the book, I just you do so if you can get a hold of it. Your library may have a copy, but possibly have a long waiting list (mine does, bought my own).

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I use juicing as a part of my Paleo diet. Primal did not work for me all that great. So, I eat meats, eggs, fruit, nuts and vegetables, drink vegetable & fruit juices sometimes instead of meals, and aim to make absolutely everything from scratch (curing bacon, fermenting kimchi, mayo... you name it). If my grandma made it, I can make it. It gives me a peace of mind.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Juicing can be a part of a primal diet. But like was already said, glucose control can be an issue with that much sugar at once. Once you juice a vegetable, even if its not known for being sugary, you greatly increase the load. Avoid the carb flu altogether. When planning your primal meals, make sure to get some carbs. You will likely find the amount of fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables needed to stop the carb flu is pretty low. Coupled with walking and some other exercises, you should be seeing good benefits.

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    If you have trouble with carb flu, I know this isn't "ideal," but there is a method recommended by Dr. Harris. You could try carrying around a bag of sliced oranges (for example) while transitioning to low carb, and if you're feeling crummy, you can have a few. When I first transitioned to low carb, the headaches were TERRIBLE. One night I completely cracked and had a restaurant deliver cheesecake to my house and I went to town. Obviously I didn't handle it well but, I'm good now. I wish I had done something more modest like fruit.

You could possibly use Harris' method with juicing? Maybe juice to transition to a paleo diet to help with low carb blood sugar swings. Note that high protein intake can bump your post-prandial blood sugar, so eating higher protein might help the transition as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast