Thread: Coconut oil - does it go off?? page

Sue991 is offline Member

Coconut oil - does it go off??

Primal Fuel
    Hi
    I was given two jars of coconut oil which have a sell by date of over nine years ago! Should I just throw it away or can I use it? Any ideas if it goes off? I've never used it before.
    Thanks.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    I've heard of coconut oil keeping anywhere from 1.5 to 5 years...but nine, I would be a tad bit skeptical. It'll be hard to maintain your primal lifestyle when you're throwing up repeatedly! :P
    I grok, therefore I am.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Smell it, you'll know.

All oils will go rancid over time. If they have been stored in a cool, dark place and have not been opened, chances are good it will be OK.

I would be skeptical too, 9 years. Wow.

Sue991 is offline Member
    That's what I thought, shame as I've had a hard time getting some!! Thanks.

desertland is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue991 View Post
    Hi
    I was given two jars of coconut oil which have a sell by date of over nine years ago! Should I just throw it away or can I use it? Any ideas if it goes off? I've never used it before.
    Thanks.
    To an extent the "sell by" date is some what of a scam. Yes, many things have a low shelf life. I've eaten canned meat that was sealed up 10 years before I was born. So I think it was in the 20 year old range ( the meat, not me ) and there was no barfing up after. It even tasted good. Red Feather brand canned butter is said to be able to store for 15 to 30 years. No harm in opening it. If you smell a rancid odor than chuck the stuff.

Sell by dates on lots of canned items is just a great way to force store to remove stock and replace it. Sure, when I buy I would like the most "fresh" I can get. Some times I think a manufacture date would be better. But this is getting way off subject.