Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does IF'ing cause binges page

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member

Does IF'ing cause binges

Primal Fuel
    I've been very disturbed by my recent binging behavior...I'll have 2-3 good days then I go crazy...some times primal binges sometimes not primal...I never binge ate prior to going primal and I've been trying to examine it from every angle to figure out what is causing it...is it physiological, psychological...deprivation, some deep seated emotional problem, something primal...anyway, I've been at my sister's house for 3 days and have been eating on a 3 meal a day plan because that is how they eat...I have no idea how much I have been eating because I can't weigh or measure anything but I haven't had the urge to go crazy or feel that insatiable hunger...I've been 100% primal here and do nip the occasional TB of butter or almond butter when no one is looking but I'm not even that hungry when most meals roll around but eat a reasonable amount and feel ok....tonight I had a few tb of butter and some cream after dinner but I think it is because I haven'lt had that much fat...so I was wondering if this is because:

a. my meals have been bigger (I dont know if that is true but probably)

b. social pressure and not being in my own house where I can down a stick of butter and no one will wonder where the kerrygold went

c. I'm not fasting...does fasting(usually 18-20 hrs on nothing but a few tb of heavy cream and coffee) lead to binge or overeating at meals?

I've been IFing for the past 2 months because of the health benefits and also to save up calories so I can have a larger evening meal but stay <1200/1300c for the day (my goal is fat loss) but if it is causing me to have a 2000-3000c food fest every 3 days that is counter to my goals...

should I give up fasting or am I just being weak willed and self indulgent and just need to say no ...in other words do you think it is a physiological issue or just something I need to suck up and do?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    There are theories that binge behavior has a lot to do with nutritional deficiencies. I personally would not suggest you practice intermittent fasting if it's causing binge behavior. It's possible you aren't eating enough in general.

This is not the same for everyone. 1200 or 1300 calories a day could cause nutritional deficiencies. Eat more and exercise and, barring any metabolic disorders, you will likely lose the fat.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It's only a binge if you call it a binge. Don't give food that kind of power. If you ate a crap ton of food, then that's what you did - and probably because you needed to. Unless you are morbidly obese or something, eating lots of food is a good thing. I eat around 3000 calories most days, not lately due to steak and eggs, but normally that much, and do not gain weight. In victorian times people ate on the order of 4000 to 5000 calories and were lean and dense with nutrients. It's better to be overnourished than undernourished any day. More problems will come from eating too little, while very few come from eating too much of the right foods. Make sure to eat a lot of liver, seafood, meat and other very dense, nutritious food to prevent nutritional deficits and this will eliminate most cravings. Molasses and salty chocolate are great sources of electrolytes and may be taken liberally in place of fodder to satiate most cravings.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aprimalmomma View Post
    c. I'm not fasting...does fasting(usually 18-20 hrs on nothing but a few tb of heavy cream and coffee) lead to binge or overeating at meals?
    From my and my wife's experience, no. Actually, my wife solved her issue caused by too overwhelming snacking habits which when summed up resulted in some kind of binging over an entire day. Look into the "warrior diet" if you like

eadiepbb is offline Junior Member
    It's possible you aren't eating enough in general.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    In some people, yes. IF is not recommended if you continue to experience uncontrolled eating behavior after a week or so of trying it daily.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    should I give up fasting or am I just being weak willed and self indulgent and just need to say no ...in other words do you think it is a physiological issue or just something I need to suck up and do?
    Not being able to eat one time a day does not make you weak willed and self indulgent. I tried IF and every day was a slug by the afternoon, so I added lunch back in. It doesn't make me weak willed or self indulgent. It means I'm smart enough to see something not working for me, so making an adjustment.

Usually, if you binge on healthy foods, your body needs something. The longer I do this, the more I recognize cycles within my body. If I eat a carton of strawberries or a really extra fatty meal I can generally look back and see where I have been not eating enough fat (or carbs). It's not any kind of a moral shortfall to feed your body what it needs.

If your body isn't getting what it needs when it needs it, you probably won't keep losing weight. You will probably keep having binges.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aprimalmomma View Post

I've been IFing for the past 2 months because of the health benefits and also to save up calories so I can have a larger evening meal but stay <1200/1300c for the day (my goal is fat loss) but if it is causing me to have a 2000-3000c food fest every 3 days that is counter to my goals...
    OK, first off I would call 2/3K calories overeating, not binging and 1200-1300 calories perhaps not enough for you. Under eating?

Since this "binging" is new to you, I'm pretty much convinced that it is due to:

1. Not enough calories - 1200 - 300. Your body is starved/malnourished and it makes you eat more.

2. You are maybe eating high fat and very low-carb, which makes you deficient in certain macro nutrient..hmm carbohydrate?

Either way, been there done that. The things that made me never to overeat anymore were adding more whole food carbs and slightly more calories. Eating till satisfied, not stuffed.
    I still do 17-18 hour IF daily by eating early dinner and skipping breakfast.

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    I think you are right...I have made some changes and I hope it helps me get a handle on this...

1. I threw out 2 sticcks of kerrygold because I will literally chomp down on a half a stick a night as a snack...it is kerrycrrack for me and until I can view it as a coondiment, i think I cant keep it in the house

2. IF on a 18/6 sindow or fast 5

3. Try to delay my evening meal so that there isnt time to get hungry or crave anything after dinner

4. Get everything done in kitchen before dinner so that I don't go back in and then start mindless snacking

5. Go back to eating large quantities of veggies w meals...I think I have become bcarb phobic and start overdoing the protein and fat to make up for it...

So my new plan looks like this:

4:30 am
    Fasted workout...weights 2-3 days/wk, run 3 miles 2-3 day/week

7 am
    Tea w 1 tb h&h

1:30-2 - 4 hb eggs masked with 1/2 avocado and spices with baby spinach, romaine, cukes and mushrooms

6:30 pm - 10-12oz steak grilled,, grilled bell peppers, 1/2 head of steamed cauliflower

Spice tea w 1tb half and half

Sent from my PG06100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Seem ok?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    OMG! You threw out butter????

Why not trust your body to tell you what it wants?

Some of us do very well on high fat--including me.

5'6" 36-26-36 about 22 % body fat (and shrinking!) 50 years old. My energy has never been better!

I was doing 70-100 gm of carbs a day, Alternate day fasting & still could NOT drop my last 5 lbs.

Dropped my carbs to 30-40 g, upped my fat, dropped my protein to 70 gm and stopped counting calories and I am losing, not gaining. I stopped formal IFing and just eat to hunger. For me this is generally from 9 am to 5 pm, so an 8 hour window.

Check out this woman's blog and pics on High fat, very low carb and moderate protein:

LIFEXTENSION: What I Eat; Fat ≠ Fat

This is the way I eat as well (but I eat liver paté almost daily and bone broth weekly--organ meats have more micronutrients than veggies.) Make sure your Vitamin D and Magnesium are dialed in.

Drop the running and add in 1-2 hours of gentle walking a day. Sprint intervals once a week.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 05-28-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast