Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucid Dreams page

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member

Lucid Dreams

Iíve had some pretty weird dreams over the years, but Iíve never realized it until after I woke up. I want to have a lucid dream (where you become aware that youíre dreaming and can control it). Iíd especially like to fly. Has anyone here ever had a lucid dream? Can you give me some tips about how to have one? Iíve read that keeping a dream journal is a good idea, but are any other techniques?
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    The recommended techniques work well. Dream journal, self-talk, meditating, etc. Can take a few weeks to kick in, just stick with it and be patient.

And eat a big block of cheese before bed.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

photocat is offline Member
    This question got me out of lurking mode for my first post

I have fairly frequent lucid dreams - and by that I mean half a dozen a year. I have a friend who has lucid dreams also - we perform similar actions to get into the lucid part.

The first thing is to realize you are dreaming. When I suspect I'm dreaming, I place my hand through a closed door or window. This is an action I know I cannot do in real life, that is the trigger that alerts my dreaming brain, this is not reality. Then I fly! It is quite cool. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to get certain people to appear in my dreams when I realize I'm dreaming but haven't figured that out. Flying and being in control of where I go and what I do in the dream is the most I've accomplished.

My friend uses a different trick to realize he is dreaming. He looks at a written / printed word (sign, newspaper, book, whatever) looks away and looks back. If the words or letters are different, he knows he is dreaming.

Most, if not all, of my lucid dreams happen in the early morning after I've been asleep for several hours and I am close to waking up (either by alarm or naturally waking up).

Good luck!

FoodLoveJoy is offline Junior Member
    There are plenty of books you can read on lucid dreaming, just do a quick Amazon search and see what's most popular. Most of these pretty much say the same thing in my opinion. A lot of it is simply bringing your awareness to the question of whether or not you're dreaming when you're actually awake, which will train your mind to ask this question when you're in dream state, which leads to the realization that you're actually lucid dreaming.

Other things you might try:

-Stare at your hands while you're awake a few times a day, and set the intention of doing the same in your dream. When you're dreaming your hands will do strange things and you'll know.

- Wake up on purpose in the middle of the night, do something for an hour or two, then go back to sleep. For some reason this makes lucid dreaming much more likely.

- Pay close attention to clocks both when awake and dreaming, and also light switches. A clock will never read the same time when you look at it twice in a row in a dream, and a flipping a light switch in a dream won't really ever turn off the lights.

Good luck, and have fun!

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Interesting subject.
    There's heaps on LD sites on the net - check out YouTube.
    Basically you train yourself by doing reality checks during normal waking life in the hope you'll do it in the dream.
    Reality checks are checking for normal/non-normal responses in the environment around you.
    Eg in dreams things don't work like they work in waking/real life
    - light switches don't work properly
    -sign, clocks, numbers, letters change when you look away and back again
    - own hands look strange - too many or not enough fingers
    - you kinda float or slowly drop when you jump up
    - you can breath underwater
    - heaps of these type of things ( that do you whilst awake during the day)

LD normally happens after a few rem cycles after 4:00am.
    Diet, exercise and general tiredness play a role.

LD can also be induced from a waking state - again it's easiest when waking up during the night at around 4:00.
    These wake induced LD are incredibly clear but are for the more advanced - they can appear more real than reality and are fantastic, but it can be a VERY VERY scary experience entering LD for many people with this method.

Anyway good luck and enjoy your flights.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I had to learn how to fly. First I could only fall slowly, then I could fall slowly horizontally, then up. I never learned to turn left or right, always woke up startled when I tried to turn. This occured in a long series of dreams, over a about a year's time.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    OP, there are tons of techniques you can read about online so you can learn to "wake up" in your dreams. In my case it just started happening spontaneously when I became more "awake" in day-to-day reality.

Start reading life like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I had to learn how to fly. First I could only fall slowly, then I could fall slowly horizontally, then up. I never learned to turn left or right, always woke up startled when I tried to turn. This occured in a long series of dreams, over a about a year's time.
    Lol - that happened to me too! It took a few dreams: first I would just "doggie paddle" through the air!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses everybody! Y'all have been very helpful. I had another weird one last night, something to do with fighting wolves. Superpowers would've come in handy!

So, I think that I know what I'm going to do now.
    1. start keeping a dream journal
    2. look at my hands a few times each day
    3. tell myself that I'll realize I'm dreaming before I fall asleep
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    That doesn't take the fun out of dreaming? My best dreams are things that my conscious mind would probably never even imagine to think to want to dream, but they were all like, life-altering and mythic.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I don't like heights and the one dream I had about flying, I woke myself up, yelling NO! I was in a hot air balloon except the balloon stopped rising and I continued on. This happened when I was trying out of body travel, except it happened while I was asleep. Never did it again, never want to..it was scary.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast