Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin A poisoning from liver? page

mystere9 is offline Junior Member

Vitamin A poisoning from liver?

Primal Fuel
    Hey there, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

Due to a little over-enthusiasm and not realizing that Vitamin A poisoning was a thing, I recently bought 2 lbs of lamb liver at the butcher, figuring it would feed me for a couple days. Well I just got done cooking it all(although due to the recipe I had it's really only seared.), and only now realized that it would be unsafe to use it as my go to food for the next couple days.

I'm trying to figure out whether or not there is any way to eat it all before it goes bad without poisoning myself. Should I just put one pound of it in the freezer, come what may? Should I eat little portions of it with every meal to allow my body to process all the vitamin A, or does it not matter? I doubt I could convince my roommates to eat any. Anybody had a similar situation in the past?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    You'll feel a mild stomach discomfort long before any symptoms of vitamin a toxicity. It's overblown, nothing really to worry about from 2lbs of lamb liver.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    You'll feel a mild stomach discomfort long before any symptoms of vitamin a toxicity. It's overblown, nothing really to worry about from 2lbs of lamb liver.
    Agreed. You might regret it because of the aforementioned stomach discomfort but likely won't get toxicity symptoms.

Also, if you portion it up into 1lb portions for two separate meals, say, toxicity is even LESS likely.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I'd eat one pound now, and another pound in two or three days.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I'd do what Knifegill says. I've done it myself. I'm only 5'3" and a couple pounds of beef liver over a few days is no big deal.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Sweet, looks like I'm golden. I'm pretty sure it's about 5 separate meals for me, including the bacon/mushroom/onion sauce I'm topping it with. I'll just have to remember not to eat liver again for a couple weeks

Paleobird Guest
    Yep, I agree that the concern about vit A toxicity is overblown. If you are supplementing heavily with concentrated Vit A pills then you could get yourself into a jam but when getting it is from natural sources, not a problem.

At the risk of a WWGD story, do you think Grok would have passed up second helpings on liver because of fears of too much Vit A? Hell no. If he just killed a wooly mammoth, he would have eaten his face off on liver and then maybe not had any for a while.

eadiepbb is offline Junior Member
    You'll feel a mild stomach discomfort long before any symptoms of vitamin a toxicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    At the risk of a WWGD story, do you think Grok would have passed up second helpings on liver because of fears of too much Vit A? Hell no. If he just killed a wooly mammoth, he would have eaten his face off on liver and then maybe not had any for a while.
    I faintly remembered hearing a story long long ago about a Homo Erectus fossil that was found to have died of Vitamin A poisoning. But I guess I only heard of it because it's one of a kind(Also I don't think there are many carnivore livers in your local farmer's market)

KNM-ER 1808 | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    I've read that Vitamin A is balanced out by Vitamin D and maybe K so maybe just supplement a bit extra if you're really worried.

I wouldn't be though, I went liver crazy when I first went Primal and survived

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast