Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article by Dr. Ede re Hypothyroid page

Paleobird Guest

Interesting article by Dr. Ede re Hypothyroid

Shop Now
    Foods that Cause Hypothyroidism Diagnosis: Diet

Very interesting article. She shows how the prevalence of iodine deficiency may have nothing to do with dietary intake and lots to do with excess intake of other foods that block the uptake of iodine.

Worth a read.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Thanks for the link Paleobird. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's so now I'm reading everything I can about it. I was surprised to see that sweet potatoes are problematic but it does say if they are cooked it lessens their effect. I'm doing autoimmune paleo and it seems like the food choices are pretty limited.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Thanks for the link Paleobird. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's so now I'm reading everything I can about it. I was surprised to see that sweet potatoes are problematic but it does say if they are cooked it lessens their effect. I'm doing autoimmune paleo and it seems like the food choices are pretty limited.
    Dr. Ede herself suffers from multiple food intolerances including dairy and nightshades and a bunch of other things. She is very limited in what she can eat and yet manages well on what she calls the MM diet for Mostly Meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Dr. Ede herself suffers from multiple food intolerances including dairy and nightshades and a bunch of other things. She is very limited in what she can eat and yet manages well on what she calls the MM diet for Mostly Meat.
    Oh boy, I really hope that is not the case with me. I keep telling myself that these dietary restrictions are temporary.

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Can anyone tell me if low carb is bad for folks with hypothyroid.

I've heard it is. But to be honest I'm not clear how low is bad. My TSH shot up while eating low carb but there were other factors that also influenced my numbers.

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Thanks UF. I asked because I keep reading different things. Some say it is bad, some say it's not bad.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    For some people low carb, especially less than 50 grams/day, can inhibit conversion of T4 to T3.

Paleobird Guest
    Thanks UF. I asked because I keep reading different things. Some say it is bad, some say it's not bad.
    Honestly I think it's more scare tactics than anything.
    If you read the Dr Ede article, she shoes how high consumption of some very common foods such as cruciferous veggies can lead to hypothyroid. I wonder how much of the "I went Paleo and my thyroid got all messed up" complaints are really about the veggies and have nothing to do with the carb level.

That said yes, the thyroid does downregulate a bit when carbs are lowered. This will not cause problems but if you already have problems it can bring them to light.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I read it. Info filed in brain. Thank you.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast