Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypoglycemia and Omega-3 page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

Hypoglycemia and Omega-3

Shop Now
    On the bottom of the description on Mark's Vital Omegas is the warning: "Note: Pregnant or lactating women, diabetics, hypoglycemics and people with known medical conditions should consult with a physician prior to taking supplements."

This seems to be a very general warning. But is there some specific problem with hypoglycemics and Omega3's?
    I'm definately hypoglycemic.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Paleobird Guest
    This might help a bit:

Omega-3 & Hypoglycemia | LIVESTRONG.COM

I think that warning is mostly a general behind covering mandated by the legal beagle team.
    It seems like, at this point the research is very conflicting and not yet clear one way or the other.

Thank you for the quick and good reply, Paleobird. Yes, it is very confusing.

I'm having a pretty serious problem with tiredness or/and exhaustion, and sleeping. I've implemented all Mark's suggestions for improving sleep (at least all I've read). But it hasn't helped.

This morning I woke up, OK but not a lot of energy. Had 2 cups of coffee, 2 bacon, 2 eggs, a bunch of supplements, and sun-bathed (naked - for a prude like me this is a huge step forward) for 30 min. Felt the same. Went to the computer and 30 min. later I was sleepy and exhausted. This has been happening for several weeks now. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-26-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Thank you for the quick and good reply, Paleobird. Yes, it is very confusing.

I'm having a pretty serious problem with tiredness or/and exhaustion, and sleeping. I've implemented all Mark's suggestions for improving sleep (at least all I've read). But it hasn't helped.

This morning I woke up, OK but not a lot of energy. Had 2 cups of coffee, 2 bacon, 2 eggs, a bunch of supplements, and sun-bathed (naked) for 30 min. Felt the same. Went to the computer and 30 min. later I was sleepy and exhausted. This has been happening for several weeks now. Any suggestions?
    This advice gets me nailed to a tree around here now and then but I still believe that the caffeine is not doing you any favors except in the very short run (as in the next couple of hours).

I would suggest trying to decaffeinate yourself entirely. You will sleep better and therefor not need the exogenous source of energy.

This stuff is a great alternative beverage and can be mixed with coffee to wean yourself off gradually if you don't want to go cold turkey.

Barley-Free Dandelion Flavors | Teeccino Herbal Coffee / Coffee Alternative

Would just switching to decaf be the same. If not I'll just quit it and try the suggested Alternative.

I ordered the sampler. Oh, dandelions sound yummy!
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-26-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Decaf is better but it still does have some caffeine in it. I have to be hyper-vigilant on this due to my epilepsy. You may be OK with it.

Also there are other compounds in coffee that can interfere with some people's sleep. IIRC it is something in the oils (don't have a cite on hand). You may be one of those sensitive to it.

That Teeccino stuff is really tasty. I actually like it better than coffee and I used to be quite the coffee drinker.

This TriVita: Experience Wellness recommends taking Omega3's for hypoglycemia.

When we sun bathe there's a definate increase in light planes overhead. How funny! (If they only knew our age.)

Actually coffee makes me sleepy, not in the morning, but in the afternoon or evening. However I'm more than willing to give it up.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-26-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    I did some research on this since I've been experiecing similar symptoms and only started taking omega 3 fish oil supplements for the first time in my life (I have never eaten seafood or any type fish) at the same time of switching to Primal.

I don't know what contributes to this, the lack of starch and sugar OR the supplements. Thanks to your thread and some surprising research, I skipped my omega 3 supplements today. I felt pretty crappy today anyway, especially throughout the morning and afternoon (either because I took a supplement last night or the lack of carbs) but I don't notice the significant low blood sugar/disorientation after a meal so much. It's still there though. I need a wait a few days for my system to clear out.

I've read some posts in a different forum of hypoglycemics reporting symptoms worsening since taking the supplements. It's strange because they are generally safe and I never use to experience low blood sugar episodes before LC (but other factors have to considered, such as the elimination of starch, sugar and excessive carbohydrate intake).

With further research, I found that omega 3 supplements lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels and are not generally recommended for hypoglycemics. Strange. I'll update in a few days if my symptoms improve since discontinuing the supplements.
    Last edited by Mikee5; 05-27-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks, Mikee5. I would assume, based only on your date of joining, that you're experiencing carb flu, which is a lack of carbs and sugars. 'Carb flu' produces the symptoms you describe. I would suggest a month before beginning to really pay attention to your body's signals. If you've never eaten fish before, that in itself will be a big change.

I appreciate your research. I found mine confusing. The link I posted recommends that people with low blood sugar take Omega-3's to raise blood sugar. Did you see it? I also saw several sites that said Omega-3's lowered blood sugar, but they seem to mean only immediately, then it returns.

I've never heard of anyone getting worse symptoms from taking a general multi-vitamin -mineral. That's really odd. I have experimented myself with specific ones and depending on the one had either good or bad results. "I need this and don't need that" type of n=1 experiments. A lot of people report no change at all, or that their not being absorbed, or that they're a waste of money.

Right now I'm doing an n=1 on Vit. D3. For two months I took 8000 iu and it raised my passive D 50%. Now I'm trying 30 min of sunbathing which they say is 10,000 iu of D. In So. Cal. this is easy. We'll see if it has any effect.

If you find any good studies on hypoglycemia and Omega-3's please let me know.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-27-2013 at 01:38 PM.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Omega-3 fatty acids may increase blood sugar levels. Caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia, and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Medication adjustments may be necessary.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast