Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypoglycemia and Omega-3 page 2

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    Omega-3 fatty acids may increase blood sugar levels. Caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia, and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Medication adjustments may be necessary.
    Do you have any references?
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Thanks, Mikee5. I would assume, based only on your date of joining, that you're experiencing carb flu, which is a lack of carbs and sugars. 'Carb flu' produces the symptoms you describe. I would suggest a month before beginning to really pay attention to your body's signals. If you've never eaten fish before, that in itself will be a big change.

I appreciate your research. I found mine confusing. The link I posted recommends that people with low blood sugar take Omega-3's to raise blood sugar. Did you see it? I also saw several sites that said Omega-3's lowered blood sugar, but they seem to mean only immediately, then it returns.

I've never heard of anyone getting worse symptoms from taking a general multi-vitamin -mineral. That's really odd. I have experimented myself with specific ones and depending on the one had either good or bad results. "I need this and don't need that" type of n=1 experiments. A lot of people report no change at all, or that their not being absorbed, or that they're a waste of money.

Right now I'm doing an n=1 on Vit. D3. For two months I took 8000 iu and it raised my passive D 50%. Now I'm trying 30 min of sunbathing which they say is 10,000 iu of D. In So. Cal. this is easy. We'll see if it has any effect.

If you find any good studies on hypoglycemia and Omega-3's please let me know.
    I actually started in early April and I just don't feel like my body is adjusting to prolonged periods of time of glucose, starch or sugar deprivation. I have found that ketosis just doesn't work for me. I will be upping my carbs soon and including some starches or berries, because I've experienced hell throughout the whole 6 weeks, from hypoglycemia, pottasium defeciency and mental incapacity to exhaustion and basically limited physical performance overall. The 'adaptation phase' felt more like a torture phase with basically no improvement and a drastically negative affect on my personal life just for a few lbs.

I think it depends on the individual. Maybe my body is trying to adjust to omega 3 and fish oil since it has probably never entered my system! It's probably like a born vegan suddenly consuming meat in large quantities.

I think you should obviously skip the supplements for a few days and see how you feel. It might just be your overall lower carb intake?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oooohhhh! That sounds awful. After 6 weeks I'd agree that you're one of those who needs more carbs. What level were you at?

I did try 3 days of no supplements. Didn't have any noticable effect. Is it worth trying longer? Do you mean just Omega 3 Supplements?
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12