Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ketosis questions page

robss is offline Senior Member

ketosis questions

how do you know if you are in ketosis? and once you are in it, does that mean you will stay in it?

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    You can find a product called 'ketostix' at any pharmacy, they measure the concentration of ketones in your urine. If you're excreting ketones in your urine you're in ketosis. In time, you'll also start to notice a strange (almost sweet) taste in the back of your mouth when you're "in".

You'll stay in ketosis so long as you maintain whatever number of carbohydrates got you there in the first place.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    You'll also notice a change of smell in your urine.

Some people report the smell of ammonia as well, i believe that may be a sign, is that correct?

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    ketostix can be deceiving at times depending on how much or little your body is utilizing said ketones. they are a satisfactory guide though.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Primal is offline Senior Member
    for me, decreased/non-existent appetite is the most sure-fire sign that I'm in ketosis

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    This is the best discussion of ketosis: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-forum/po...770#post949740

It's clear that once a person is keto-adapted (efficiently burning fat for energy) the ketosticks will likely no longer show ketones.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    For me it's that really sweet taste in the back of the mouth. When I drink water it feels like I'm drinking something sweet, and I gotta double check just to make sure.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    I've been in ketosis for about 2 months now ~ probably more ~ and have been using the Ketostix. DH and I haven't noticed any change in my breathe. His experience is that his mouth tastes "sweet", but to me his breath kind of smells like mothballs (sorry, Honey!!). I've only dropped out of ketosis once (Easter 'cheat day'), and I'm still peeing dark pink, so I'm not sure why I'm not keto-adapted yet!

If you can't find or can't afford Ketostix, you'll know you are in ketosis by your lack of hunger/cravings

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been in ketosis for more than 4 months now (I've been 'out' maybe 4 or 5 times) and I'm still turning ketostix dark purple and still hungry, so everyone's different.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast