Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ketosis questions page 2

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I know I'm in ketosis when I sense a rusty/metallic taste in the back of my tongue. High energy levels and general well-being are also an indicator for me.
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Primitive is offline Junior Member
    I've been eating Primal since early March (MC before that) and every Ketostix test has been negative, even after a 37 hours fast last week; so, I just wondered if something's wrong with me.
    Now, I read on this thread that it might be related to ketoadaptation. I eat 2 meals a day, breakfast and dinner and IF at least once a week, usually 24 hours. I feel no hunger, but I also have no altered taste in my mouth, or color/smell change in my pee.

So, either I'm well ketoadapted, or not in ketosis at all, no matter the frequency or the carb content of my meals, which is low by the way, as I eat big salads, but fruit/nuts/dairy are infrequent treats, despite my affection for them...

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    If you read the thread that sharonll posted, some people mention maintaining ketosis for quite some time and all their strips come back negative. They attribute this to your body being fully adapted to utilizing ketones for energy. No ketostix for you (said in the soup nazi voice of course)!

I know for me, ketosis = cotton mouth.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovestoclimb View Post
    If you read the thread that sharonll posted, some people mention maintaining ketosis for quite some time and all their strips come back negative. They attribute this to your body being fully adapted to utilizing ketones for energy. No ketostix for you (said in the soup nazi voice of course)!

I know for me, ketosis = cotton mouth.
    Yes, that's the information that I felt was important. Early on, my ketostix were very dark, as dark as they go. Over months of VLC -- rarely over 5% -- the ketostix became lighter and lighter for me. I checked this morning, after a 5% day yesterday, and IFing since noon yesterday, and not a trace registered.

My understanding is that ketosis is a state where your body is using ketones for energy. If you produce more ketones, (breaking down body fat in the liver in response to the lack of glucose), than your body is using, they spill into your urine and register as such on the ketostix. Once the body breaks down body fat into ketones, they can't be reconverted, so the excess ketones are excreted.

When you're fully adapted to using ketones, your body is more efficient at producing and using them, and the ketones no longer appear in your urine. I know that's simplistic, but I've done a lot of reading on the subject -- my typical attempt to make every part of the losing weight process logical and rational -- LOL! You can find lots of opinions out there -- just Google ketostix -- but this view seems to be the consensus of many knowledgeable people. This is a very easy-to-understand reference to everything about ketosis: http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html

TrevtheEngg is offline Junior Member
    I have NAFLD(nonalcoholic fatty liver disease) and have heard that a ketogenic diet can help if not cure a fatty liver. Does anyone have any ideas on the topic?
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowtongue!!"

Started my PB Journey April 15th 2010
    Stats: 6', 258 lbs
    Total weight lost: 30 lbs
    Current weight: 228 lbs
    Goal 200 lbs

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12