Thread: Inflammation and weight page

Mutton is offline Senior Member

Inflammation and weight

Shop Now
    I just listened to a presentation on a study on obese rats, some of which were fed anthocyanins (an antioxidant) from cherrys. Those fed the supplemement returned to healthy weight, the others did not.

It points to the link between obesity and inflammation, which I think is part of how primal living may improve health (both by reducing inflammatory foods and behaviours and by increasing consumption of antioxidant rich foods).

I was wondering if any one else knew of similar studies or had any other thoughts? Especially since sometimes we can get the idea that primal diets help obesity purely by keeping insulin down and increasing satiety; clearly there is more going on!

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a link to the study? Thanks for the interesting post. I've read various info regarding the effect that many vegetables and fruits have on improving blood circulation, which in turn greatly reduces the chances of inflammation, and of course makes physical activity easier and more pleasant. Basically fruits and veggies are full of antioxidants but also a whole host of phytochemicals that modern science is just beginning to understand.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutton View Post
    I was wondering if any one else knew of similar studies or had any other thoughts? Especially since sometimes we can get the idea that primal diets help obesity purely by keeping insulin down and increasing satiety; clearly there is more going on!
    The Spreadbury essay made the rounds and is concerned with inflammatory microbiome. It's speculative but matches up with my own experience. I developed an informal habit of eating in a sequence of descending H2O fraction, e.g. veggies -> meat -> starch then small bites of dried fruit/cacao/nuts/cheese after a pause.
    35//6'3"/180

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    In the Ancestral Health videos (search youtube) there are many talks on the effects of inflammation. Mark also has a good number of blogs. Sorry I don't have references. In general, Inflammation prevents the stomach, colon, etc from absorbing the nutrients you feed yourself, either in foods or supplements. It also prevents the saiety signals from occuring. You eat more and become obese but at the same time you become malnurished from lack of nutrients. Simultaneously you will probably develop either autoimmune diseases or gut diseases.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase