Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Question minimum Carb intake for brain when NOT in Ketosis page 2

  1. #11
    blondie0216's Avatar
    blondie0216 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    windsor, ontario
    Posts
    21
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This is a fascinating article on the subject:

    Your Brain On Ketones | Psychology Today
    Very interesting article Paleobird!!

  2. #12
    rockrunner's Avatar
    rockrunner Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This is a fascinating article on the subject:

    Your Brain On Ketones | Psychology Today
    Good link! Fat with protein is the priority source of energy for the body...if you have trouble with shifting from ketosis to non-ketosis your body isn't adapted to the normal human diet.

  3. #13
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    That article reads off like a personal opinion(instantly invalidated) with no scientific basis nor does it elude to the negatives from sustained gluconeogenesis.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  4. #14
    0Angel0's Avatar
    0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    That article reads off like a personal opinion(instantly invalidated) with no scientific basis nor does it elude to the negatives from sustained gluconeogenesis.
    Gluconeogenesis isn't a huge concern when you are adapted to ketosis and your glucose needs drop dramatically to the bare minimum (like the scant amount needed by some brain tissue). If your body doesn't need glucose but has adequate and easy access to ketones through body or dietary fat why would it go through all the trouble of gluconeogenesis if it doesn't have to? It's just not the issue the carb loving crowd makes it out to be.

  5. #15
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    Gluconeogenesis isn't a huge concern when you are adapted to ketosis and your glucose needs drop dramatically to the bare minimum (like the scant amount needed by some brain tissue). If your body doesn't need glucose but has adequate and easy access to ketones through body or dietary fat why would it go through all the trouble of gluconeogenesis if it doesn't have to? It's just not the issue the carb loving crowd makes it out to be.
    Because glucose is the preferential fuel for the brain and body, of course. It does anything it can to make sure it acquires glucose in some way. There is no switch or adaptation short of prolonged starvation or ketosis diets, that's a myth a falsity.

    Also, the fact, fat is an inefficient fuel as stated earlier.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  6. #16
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Because glucose is the preferential fuel for the brain and body, of course. It does anything it can to make sure it acquires glucose in some way. There is no switch or adaptation short of prolonged starvation or ketosis diets, that's a myth a falsity.

    Also, the fact, fat is an inefficient fuel as stated earlier.
    I take issue with the term "preferential" when applied to carbs. I would say it is more like "quick and dirty".

    Read the article, especially the part about the mitochondria.

    BTW, I'm not starving and my body is running just fine on ketones, thankyouverymuch. Ketosis brings the benefits of calorie restriction to the table without the negative consequences, like starvation.

  7. #17
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I take issue with the term "preferential" when applied to carbs. I would say it is more like "quick and dirty".

    Read the article, especially the part about the mitochondria.

    BTW, I'm not starving and my body is running just fine on ketones, thankyouverymuch. Ketosis brings the benefits of calorie restriction to the table without the negative consequences, like starvation.
    Except here's the dirty little secret about glucose - when you look at the amount of garbage leftover in the mitochondria
    Are you serious? There is no way anyone can take this crap seriously, just no way.

    There are no benefits to calorie restriction, the perceived benefits are just due to minimized fat from PUFA.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  8. #18
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, we know, Derp. Everything bad that has ever happened on this planet in directly ascribable to excess PUFA.

  9. #19
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, we know, Derp. Everything bad that has ever happened on this planet in directly ascribable to excess PUFA.
    Yeah, we know, Paleobird. Everything bad that has ever happened on this planet is directly ascribable to sugar and that quick and dirty glucose.

    If only we figured it out earlier, then we wouldn't have such an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, etc; despite being the lowest carb and highest fat consuming country. Damn that pesky insulin!!!!!
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  10. #20
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yeah, we know, Paleobird. Everything bad that has ever happened on this planet is directly ascribable to sugar and that quick and dirty glucose.

    If only we figured it out earlier, then we wouldn't have such an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, etc; despite being the lowest carb and highest fat consuming country. Damn that pesky insulin!!!!!
    I would hardly call the SAD low carb. Yes it is high fat and yes I agree that it is often the "bad fats". I think that that is a convenient trick to let sugar off the hook however, the Peatarian premise that "sugar is fine, it's the PUFAs that are the problem so mainline sodas but don't eat salmon or you might die."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •