Thread: How much bacon? page

eKatherine is offline Senior Member

How much bacon?

I have some chicken breasts I'm going to be grinding up to make burgers tomorrow.

Obviously ground chicken breast meat by itself is seriously lacking in fat and flavor.

So how much bacon do you think I should grind it up with to balance out the leanness? 20%?

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I would add at least 1 slice of bacon per breast, depending on the size.

For a somewhat more fancy combo of chicken breast w/ bacon I take the breasts and split them so they are very thin, then I saute shitake mushrooms, lay them on top of the breasts (sometimes I add a slice of smoked gouda) and roll the breasts with a slice of bacon and secure it with a toothpick. I usually flavor the breasts with coconut aminos, then I bake it in the oven until the bacon looks the way you like it. You can deglaze the pan with stock or wine. It is divine.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    My personal answer to any "how much bacon?" question is ALL OF IT.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Actually, the package of bacon is 2-1/2 pounds of ends and pieces. That might be too much for 2 chicken breasts.

I did roast just such a package of bacon ends and pieces not long ago, only removing the wrapper before putting it in the oven. We had fun with that.

Unfortunately I have had thrifty times when the price of the boneless, skinless chicken breasts makes them seem irresistible.

Another issue is that if I want to track my macros, chicken breasts make it easy to do so. Nutrition information of other meats is not so reliably available.

And so I have chicken breasts that I am using up as I pull them out of the freezer.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    For a somewhat more fancy combo of chicken breast w/ bacon I take the breasts and split them so they are very thin, then I saute shitake mushrooms, lay them on top of the breasts (sometimes I add a slice of smoked gouda) and roll the breasts with a slice of bacon and secure it with a toothpick. I usually flavor the breasts with coconut aminos, then I bake it in the oven until the bacon looks the way you like it. You can deglaze the pan with stock or wine. It is divine.
    That sounds sooo good!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.