Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which barbell set should I get. page 2

eadiepbb is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The olympic barbells in these sets aren't the best quality, but I didn't notice any bending in my cheaper bar until about 300 lb.

Geeknik is offline Member
    I don't see myself wanting to lift more than 300 lbs even if I ever could. Might not even make it to 300lbs given how weak in the arms I am. If the ones I've listed will suit my needs then that's what I'll get, unless I'd be better off springing for a better bar and then just buying second-hand plates off of CL.
    Last edited by Geeknik; 05-27-2013 at 10:02 AM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You might end up needing something for squats quicker than you expect. I wouldn't be able to raise over my head what I can squat. In fact, as a beginner I pretty much couldn't raise over my head what I could squat at all from the get-go. Someone posted some minimal squat stands, maybe not this brand exactly, but this type of thing. Looks easier to store than a huge squat rack that probably wouldn't even fit inside my house at all.
    Valor Athletics Inc. Power Squats Stand Plus : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

I've been wanting to get a power tower with pullup bar and dip station as well but thought it would be cheaper and take up less space in the end if I just wait a while and get a squat cage with a pullup bar so I'd have it all in one. I'll have to dispose of an old futon to make room for it in the den area though.
    Last edited by Geeknik; 05-27-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeknik View Post
    I don't see myself wanting to lift more than 300 lbs even if I ever could. Might not even make it to 300lbs given how weak in the arms I am. If the ones I've listed will suit my needs then that's what I'll get, unless I'd be better off springing for a better bar and then just buying second-hand plates off of CL.
    Quality bars (like those from Rogue) are definitely superior to the ones that come with beginner sets. If you're just starting out, though, you won't notice much difference. I love my Rogue Power Bar, but most of my initial strength gains were with a cheap Cap barbell. It did the job just fine.

I highly recomend a power rack. Yeah, they're expensive and take up a lot of room, but they allow you to safely squat and bench press alone. You can also do chinups in them. If price is an issue, look on websites like Craigslist. I got mine from there for about half of what it was worth.

There's a lot of equipment to buy if you want to train with barbells at home, and it can get expensive. The results are worth it, though.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    Quality bars (like those from Rogue) are definitely superior to the ones that come with beginner sets. If you're just starting out, though, you won't notice much difference. I love my Rogue Power Bar, but most of my initial strength gains were with a cheap Cap barbell. It did the job just fine.

I highly recomend a power rack. Yeah, they're expensive and take up a lot of room, but they allow you to safely squat and bench press alone. You can also do chinups in them. If price is an issue, look on websites like Craigslist. I got mine from there for about half of what it was worth.

There's a lot of equipment to buy if you want to train with barbells at home, and it can get expensive. The results are worth it, though.
    Remember. She is a woman so she would feel a massive difference between a cheap 31mm/45lb barbell and a nice 25mm/15kg barbell. That and you dont hsve to worry about sleeves falling off, rotation of sleeves when cleaning and having a bent bar effecting exercises.

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Remember. She is a woman so she would feel a massive difference between a cheap 31mm/45lb barbell and a nice 25mm/15kg barbell. That and you dont hsve to worry about sleeves falling off, rotation of sleeves when cleaning and having a bent bar effecting exercises.
    To be honest, my cheap barbell is 35 lb. (my older brother let me have it). I didn't have much money when I started lifting and had to buy more equipment (shoes, belt, better barbell, etc.) in stages. It did its job well initially, and I upgraded to a Rogue bar after realizing that I was serious about barbell training. I still use it to do dips in my power rack.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think I will go to a local store and wrap my hands around these men's barbells to see if they are comfortable/possible for me to hold/lift without any weight on them. I suppose it would be hard to start the program if I can't even wrap my hands around and lift the empty barbell. Besides, I have a b-day coming up so I think I'll treat myself to a barbell and then hopefully the squat cage can wait till the winter holidays.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12