Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done "Simple Paleo" for weight loss? page 4

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well I used my birthday money to order a comprehensive thyroid panel. I'm planning to attempt simple Paleo on Monday.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Here are my results:
    Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S T4,Free(Direct) 1.24 Range .82-1.77
    TSH TSH .643 Range .450-4.5
    Reverse T3, Serum Reverse T3, Serum 12.7 Range 9.2-24.1
    Thyroxine (T4) Thyroxine (T4) 8.8 Range 4.5-12.0
    Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 8 Range 0-34
    Antithyroglobulin Ab Antithyroglobulin Ab < 20 Range 0-40
    Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum 2.8 Range 2.0 - 4.4

It seems things are within normal ranges. Anybody else see anything concerning? Maybe this rules out the thyroid issue?

My Journal

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Looks OK to me, but I'm more of the mind that anything that was out of order there was simply a downstream effect of something you would have to change via lifestyle anyhow (read not a fan of hormone therapy).

Anyhow yeah, when I saw "simple paleo" I was just thinking "no grains, no legumes, no dairy..." as thats how Robb Wolf always explained it. Yours is definitely a guynett thing which is all based on his food reward hypothesis. Good luck with it! I couldn't do bland foods as an approach to health. My version of healthy eating always assumes flavor as an indicator of high nutrition in the meal. Like a long simmered stew with plenty of herbs and seasonings....

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    While I think "Simple Paleo" would work great, I think it would be VERY hard to stick to.

What makes Primal palatable for most is that added fat and salt is NOT shunned. A potato without butter is okay, but not very appetizing. A potato with butter and salt is as tasty as anything on earth. (imo).

Exactly. It is only a temporary approach to lower the fat set point. The idea is to do it until you've reset what your body defends. Asking Chris Kresser about it, he recommends salt to taste and one spice. I made a huge batch of beef stew and have been eating that. It tastes good, but it doesn't seem to trigger me to over eat. It's not as exciting as something more complicated with more flavors and yet it's kind of nice not coming up with a bunch of different meals. My kids disagree. They will not be thrilled with stew again tonight, but they will eat if they are hungry.

My Journal

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    so are you trying this because your weight loss efforts have stalled? have you considered the fact that you're still eating too much? that would seem like the most obvious answer to me. do you track your food intake at all?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Yes. My weight loss has stalled for two years. Yes I realize it could be calorie intake. The thing that complicates things is that I have high cortisol and thus any major calorie restriction which creates hunger also creates a stress response which then increases cortisol which then negates my efforts to lose because my body goes into storage mode. The idea of eliminating food reward is a way to spontaneously reduce calories while my body/brain does not feel hunger. I have tried primal calorie restriction, but it does not work in my situation.

My Journal

Yes I track. I have a journal on here too. I'm 5'3" female and was eating 1800-1900 cal with CrossFit style workouts. Since starting the simple approach I am coming in around 1600. It may reduce more, but I am focusing on nourishing simple foods.

My Journal

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    high cortisol based on what? stressful family? career? crossfit workouts? I mean, if you could eliminate or reduce your stress response, that would probably be ideal for any number of reasons. then the weight loss might continue. that's probably the problem anyway
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

I took a saliva test which showed my cortisol is ok in the morning but does not drop like it should by bedtime. My NP said this is consistent with someone with polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have been addressing this issue with changing the kind of and frequency of workouts. I have added a couple supplements to help me adapt to stress better. I have also begun yoga and breathing exercises.

My Journal

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast