Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done "Simple Paleo" for weight loss? page 2

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The way Cordain explained it, ancient wild game was very lean and had a fat profile very different from meat available in the modern world. He also seemed to be under the impression that ancestral humans went out of their way to avoid fat. So he recommended lean cuts of meat, trimmed to remove all visible fat. No dairy, so no butter. But to provide the correct balance of fatty acids, he thought we should buy perilla oil imported from Korea. Um, like Grok did?

The whole thing sounded to me contrived so as to attempt to gain acceptance with the fat-phobic medical community. Of course that didn't happen. Since then Cordain has eased off on avoiding fat.
    I think he has changed his tune. The steak and roast cuts are very lean but he no claims he didn't account for organ meats, brain etc that would have been consumed which add a lot more fat.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I agree.

Certainly our ancestors would have eaten 100% of their own kill whenever possible. But it is probable that things they stole from large predators, like marrow bones and brain cases, would have been a significant part of their diet. These were things that only tool-users could break open to get out the good fatty stuff inside.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Some background as to why I am asking people of they have experience with Simple Paleo. If regular primal continued to work this would not be an issue. But my health concerns are complex so may require more tweaking.

yesterday. I also listened to a talk by Chris Kresser talking about the thyroid-adrenal-ovarian axis. This talk was so helpful for me to connect the dots as to how I could end up with endometriosis, PCOS, weight gain, hyperplasia, high cortisol, gut dysbiosis..... Such a good talk! In it he talked about weightloss being important because the extra fat producing more estrogen which continues to throw the balance out of whack. He mentioned that low carb may help some, but if your adrenals are weakened, it may not be the best. Then he mentioned Simple Paleo as a way to lower caloric intake without stressing the body.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    There was a thread about a year ago where someone recorded their experiments with eating a very bland non-reward diet. I don't remember the results.

In all the reading I have done on food reward it truly seems to me that nobody really understands it properly. It is not that the food you eat is bland and boring and not tasty that makes it "work". It is that it is lacking in any substances that excite regions of the brain that go against satiation and satiety. So the plain and ordinary paleo diet should work just fine without having to be super bland because it lacks those substances: lots of sweet, lots of salt, lots of msg, "vanishing caloric value" and other tricks of modern food processing.

If you go to gnolls.org and read his huge, dense series on Why We Get Hungry you might find it interesting.

And Momto3, going by your avatar, it doesn't look like you have so much fat that it would be causing huge estrogen imbalances. You look pretty good, if you ask me. And you're doing a pullup.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Thanks sbhikes. I'm not far from my goal, but I do carry extra fat in my tummy region. ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1369578577.284334.jpg
    ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1369578610.826756.jpg

I do see how the Paleo approach has already really changed my tastes for more simple, real food. I am curious how things would go if I did not add fat to meals and keep to simple slow cooked meals. I've eliminated sugar already, but still enjoy savory nut flour based baked goods.

I don't know where my hormones are at right now. I'm on the pill to control pain. But I am hopeful the more I heal, I will be able to go off. I know cortisol is high so that means nothing too drastic.

I found a couple threads discussing food reward but haven't found the ones of people actually doing it. I know this approach does not seem fun at all. I may not find many people that have actually done it.

My Journal

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Have you had your thyroid checked? I've been primal for 3 yrs, I lost 23 lbs in the first few months and then nothing. I didn't mind too much because I only have about 10 lbs. at the most I could lose, except that the weight is all in my belly. Without going into too much detail I was finally recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Changing my diet: low carb high/ high fat, intermittent fasting, calorie restriction did nothing to change my weight. In fact it may have done more harm because my TSH shot up during the time I was tweaking my diet, I also went on progesterone cream during that time which is like adding fuel to the fire for Hashimoto's. Check your TSH level if it's high check for Hashimoto's.

It's been a few years since checking TSH. It was normal then, but if I can afford it, I would like to get a more comprehensive thyroid test especially since other things in the axis is unbalanced.

My Journal

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Momto3, I'd make it a priority. Depending on the lab the reference range can vary. Also there are plenty of people who have hypothyroid symptoms even when their TSH is normal.

As far as the cost goes we sometimes get lab work done at this mobile service: Heart Watch IV. I just got a card in the mail and it says they will be in Santa Rosa on June 11, 10- 1 at the Whole Foods in Coddingtown Mall. Thyroid test is $40.

Wow! Thanks! I will look into it. Better than the $200 I was looking at. Thanks again.

My Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Momto3, I'd make it a priority. Depending on the lab the reference range can vary. Also there are plenty of people who have hypothyroid symptoms even when their TSH is normal.

As far as the cost goes we sometimes get lab work done at this mobile service: Heart Watch IV. I just got a card in the mail and it says they will be in Santa Rosa on June 11, 10- 1 at the Whole Foods in Coddingtown Mall. Thyroid test is $40.
    You know what? I just looked at my Kaiser test results and had my TSH tested just in February. It was 1.26. The range is .10-5.5

This seems within a good range, right? I don't have much hypothyroid symptoms. Sluggish metabolism, some days I get some fatigue, but its usually when I get to bed late. The only other symptom I have are vertical ridges in my nails, but they aren't brittle.

My Journal

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast