Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans Truly Think Drugs are the Answer? page

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member

Americans Truly Think Drugs are the Answer?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's really mind blowing.

Many people I know in the United States, despite being smart people who should know better, are taking drugs to solve their problems (and of course it's not working).

It seems like eventually most people there go this route. Didn't they see the movie? You eat the food present in the environment, it makes you sick and depressed, you go see the doctor, he gives you the drug, it makes it worse, so you take more drugs, there are drug interactions, everyone collects loads of profit, and then you die.

The doctor is not your friend. These people have no idea what these drugs do nor how they work, they are stumbling around in the dark, testing on humans, and getting perks from the drug companies.

Seriously what are people thinking.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    It's freaking rampant. It seems like half our commercials are things like "I noticed I was being really moody and irritable around my husband and children. Rather than dealing with any underlying behavioral, cognitive, or nutritional issues to fix this, I saw a doctor and demanded that he write me a prescription for Bitchaphol. It masks everything and we get along almost all the time now! Ask your doctor how it can sort of work for you!" [remainder of commercial is warnings and side effects]

My undergrad degree is in psychology, and this stuff pisses me the hell off. People are idiots.

Shotglass is offline Member
    And don't forget the list of side affects that's longer than my arm. Why would I want to take a drug for high blood pressure that'll make me impotent, a little blue pill to correct the issue caused by the first pill and might make me go blind or a sleeping pill that may cause drowsiness? GMAFB!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Don't be so concerned about yesterday, or worried about tomorrow, that you forget to enjoy today.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    It shocks me that America allows advertising for prescription drugs and they make the adverts appealing. It makes people want drugs for things they don't really suffer from.

I was really stunned the day before yesterday by a guy who posted on the forum that he was concerned by a hs-CRP test result that was 5.8. Here in the UK under 10 is normal.

I was really bemused when someone posted about it being used as a cardiac diagnostic too where a value of 2 indicates increased risk. Here its classed as a clinically worthless tool unless used to monitor fast moving infection.

I read some European research and then some from the USA . The USA seems orientated purely to get more people on statins and into cardiac programmes most of them don't need. we all know how bad the side effects of statins are and new research implicates some of the biggest names in the development of diabetes. One of them apparently creates a new case in each 160 patients. Americans pay through the nose for medical care and paying for shit you don't need seems criminal
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-25-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Castle is offline Senior Member
    I think it's important to note that nowadays people are sometimes getting started on drugs before they have a choice in the matter (i.e. minors). By the time they're old enough to make their own decisions on the topic, they can't think straight and/or are addicted. Of course, that raises the question of why the parents are getting the children on the drugs.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    and Castle did you know very few drugs are tested on kids, the parents do it for the drug companies without any of the controls, restraints or follow up that a proper clinical trial gets. A child's neural network doesn't mature till at least 15- they aren't stable adults yet they get all this untested stuff. Its fair enough if a kid is really sick or dying and benefits outweigh risks but otherwise its abuse
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    It pisses me off when they drug high energy kids. When I was a kid.... I ran around outside all day. We had outside recess 2 times a day at school. We burned off steam. It's not really natural for kids to want to sit on their ass all day.

I've never taken "meds" and haven't seen an MD for something like 10 years. I remember the last time really well.... I went to get a tetanus booster required by grad school. They sent me home with prescriptions for allergy meds and heartburn meds. Ummm... I didn't come with any complaints. They saw my red eyes (yeah, one week a year I get itchy eyes from pollen) and kept asking me if I had issues so I mentioned very occasional heart burn.

And yeah.... the advertisements drive me nuts.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    It pisses me off when they drug high energy kids. When I was a kid.... I ran around outside all day. We had outside recess 2 times a day at school. We burned off steam. It's not really natural for kids to want to sit on their ass all day.
    I've had this conversation with a few people. I think the other issue is that a lot of parents are older and don't have the energy to "chase" a small child, so want him/her diagnosed with something. Or, if the parents are young both typically need to work and don't have the energy needed when they get home. I'm super lucky being 30 with a 5 and nearly 3 yo who get to spend countless hours at the park, in physical activities, or just playing in the yard. I wonder a bit how they will fare once they start school. But we will not medicating our children at all.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by Drumroll; 05-25-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I think there's a small percentage of kids/young adults who could benefit from some medication (I'm talking the big-time, potential serial killer psychotropic issues). But that percentage is SMALL. VERY VERY SMALL. We're definitely overmedicating kids.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast