Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans Truly Think Drugs are the Answer? page 4

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by anova01 View Post
    I grew up in a different country and with parents who are biologists, so to me there is a definite perceptible fixation on drugs to do things that can be done homeopathically. Sore throat? Tea with honey, not 3 shots of Dayquil.
    Exactly, as an American living in Seoul I can say the Koreans have a completely different outlook on drugs, similar to this homeopathic outlook.

You can't get drugs for anything here. I had a minor surgery, wanted a pain killer, doctor said "no, just deal with it". I can't even buy a Tylenol PM here, seriously. In fact if you goto the pharmacy and try to buy anything the lady will quiz you like she is your mother and ask why you need it and suggest you try sleeping more or eating good food. There's also no street drug problem here. Koreans just don't go in for the whole drug thing.

Meanwhile back in the states my mom (the original 1960's health food nut), is now on super-scary drugs for depression.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    There are many circumstances where your best friend will be your doctor. If I were to have a heart attack I hope I'm in a hospital at the time. For any catastrophic accident, the faster you get to a doctor the better. While I feel that doctors are behind the curve when it comes to what a healthy diet actually is, it's mostly due to the slow moving acceptance of ideas and the lack of money put into diet research. I respect their steadfast use of "proven" principles and do not want them to be changing direction every time some new information is presented. As far as medication goes, the "symptom" approach is not a new one and not a good one. And the use of medication is definitely drastically overused. However there are many medications that are lifesaving. It's not all evil.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Which part is it you are not convinced of? Both ADHD and autism-spectrum conditions are increasing, and conventional medicine has no clue why that might be. If this was purely an artifact of improved diagnosis, other unrelated conditions like mental retardation ought to be increasingly diagnosed as well.
    Lets say I'm not convinced of the proportions. That is I believe that ADHD is over/mis-diagnosed enough to artificially inflate the number, but that does not mean that kids aren't more "hyper" or that nutrition is not playing a role in their behavioral and mental changes. I'm also not sure on the ASD diagnosis vs mental retardation and how it has inflated over the years. I have one son who is "developmentally delayed", but that is as specific as a diagnosis can be at this time. As you know diagnostic criteria are changed all the time and sometimes its in accordance with an agenda. What I do believe is that any actual increase in either ADHD, autism, or even mental retardation is absolutely due to crummy lifestyle or inappropriate (for that child) intervention. I'm just not so sure how much I can rely on current statistics when the establishment of those diagnosis' are so subjective and often flat out wrong. See its not "improved diagnosis" IMO ... its actually quite the opposite.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    To the OP - I know what you mean. My mom is an immigrant to the US from a Western European country, and I went to live there as an adult for a decent while, and you definitely get grilled at the pharmacy there for anything you might want to buy, even OTC legal stuff, as all of it is behind the counter, and the "drugstores" there only have toiletries and such 'cause the drugs of any kind by law are at the pharmacy. And my parents were poor for the duration of my childhood (most of it in the US) so we did not go to the doctor even when we truly ought to have. I know we got saved from a lot of big pharma badness that way.

That being said, I myself now keep one foot in holistic medicine, and one foot in allopathic medicine. I will not demonize either - I try to go the holistic route, and usually get pretty far with it, but there are times when a good doc is sweet. I wholeheartedly admit to loving my scrip for a bigass painkiller the one time I had an attack of kidney stones, and my scrip for a huge whack of antidepressant back when I was in post-partum depression free-fall, and even my scrip once for antibiotic when I was pissing blood from a bladder infection. But then I stepped back and took the message my body was sending me (that something was -duh- amiss) and went the better-food-better-lifestyle route and got off stuff/never got it again so far. I have a special-needs kid as well, so I really get the tensions between the two systems.

Drug ads - I hate them. Even the OTC ones.

I am almost 46 now, and I am currently stunned when the intake nurses do not really believe me when I tell them that I am on nothing on the occasion I might need medical help. That is too young, IMHO, to be chronically on stuff. They tell me I am in a serious minority. Wow.

I really look forward to the day when, hopefully, the two systems work together better. And when more Americans give up the drugs-first/drugs-only habit. But we are not allllll like that.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    The drug issue is so big and disturbing I've given up trying to care about it. My family, friends, and coworkers all talk about foregoing life goals like travel because of their drug expenses but they can't even describe what all their drugs are for.

I would never urge someone to stop a drug if doing so causes tangible distress but it seems like most of them begin out of some incurious faith in a physician who assumes everyone in the US is bound to have bad cholesterol/blood pressure/digestion/bones/joints/mood etc.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    We're waking up. Younger people are learning better. In 50 years, if information remains available to the masses, the drug industry will be struggling. I refused ritalin from the age of 8 until I was 10 and my parents basically made me believe I didn't love them unless I took the pill. Then took it until I was 14, so I grew up always tweaked out and nuts, thinking that was reality. When I quit ritalin, I came down so hard I NEEDED a fix, so I would bicycle to exhaustion, until I discovered alcohol and weed. The rest is typical. Got cleaned up, people helped me out of poverty into a career, etc. But those childhood years were like I had a demon in me, and I missed him when he left.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 05-27-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Its a product of our learned mistrust of our own bodies. We have been brainwshed into believing our very own systems are set to self destruct at any given moment! Somehow we bought into the idea that we are smarter than the innate systems of our body, and that we should actually micromanage physiological ranges with drugs.... Its actually quite arrogant and its no wonder healthy care is in the state it is because of it.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Neckhammer hit the nail on the head (pardon the pun).

In addition the culture tells us we can put any amount of crap into our bodies and it won't do us any harm. It's insane, we are not magical beings exempt from the laws of nature and science is not the knight in shining armor who will come in and save us!

Shotglass is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Its a product of our learned mistrust of our own bodies. We have been brainwshed into believing our very own systems are set to self destruct at any given moment! Somehow we bought into the idea that we are smarter than the innate systems of our body, and that we should actually micromanage physiological ranges with drugs.... Its actually quite arrogant and its no wonder healthy care is in the state it is because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Neckhammer hit the nail on the head (pardon the pun).

In addition the culture tells us we can put any amount of crap into our bodies and it won't do us any harm. It's insane, we are not magical beings exempt from the laws of nature and science is not the knight in shining armor who will come in and save us!
    BINGO!!!!
    We have some winners

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Don't be so concerned about yesterday, or worried about tomorrow, that you forget to enjoy today.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    They tried to put one of my brothers on ritalin in elementary school. When Mom was filling out the questionnaire, she noticed that the symptoms needed to occur at school AND at home. When she pointed out that he concentrates just fine when he wants to, the teachers weren't mollified. Luckily, she's also a person that doesn't sit still well, and she's got something of a biology background, so she was willing and able to stick to her guns that he was bored, not bad, and bored didn't need to be medicated.

However, convincing my parents that my dad's "high" cholesterol might not be the problem the doctor thinks it is, is another story . . .
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast