Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans Truly Think Drugs are the Answer? page 3

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    That said....drugs are bad... Mmmmkay.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    There is no question that ADHD is increasing in this country. It's not a matter of increased diagnosis. It really is increasing, unlike things like mental retardation, which has remained at a constant level. I think it has to do with prenatal nutrition, where pregnant women are encouraged to eat less saturated fat and more grains, which doesn't provide what is necessary to build the baby's nervous system.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I talked to a marine biologist yesterday. The oceans are fucked. We're stewing the earth in poisons. So not only are we surrounded by them but we ingest them via prescription medicine and bad "food." So of course we're getting sicker children. We're frogs in a pot is what we are.

My mom's husband was so hyperactive he was kept on a leash. This was back in the 1940s. He turned out okay. Living the good life of a cushy retirement and lots of statins or whatever, but he really is quite healthy, active and strong. Always moving, always working on some project and driving my mom crazy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    There is no question that ADHD is increasing in this country. It's not a matter of increased diagnosis. It really is increasing, unlike things like mental retardation, which has remained at a constant level.
    Although I agree with your assertion on nutrition I am not convinced as to this part of your remark.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Although I agree with your assertion on nutrition I am not convinced as to this part of your remark.
    Which part is it you are not convinced of? Both ADHD and autism-spectrum conditions are increasing, and conventional medicine has no clue why that might be. If this was purely an artifact of improved diagnosis, other unrelated conditions like mental retardation ought to be increasingly diagnosed as well.

Rojo is offline Senior Member

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Which part is it you are not convinced of? Both ADHD and autism-spectrum conditions are increasing, and conventional medicine has no clue why that might be. If this was purely an artifact of improved diagnosis, other unrelated conditions like mental retardation ought to be increasingly diagnosed aswell.
    If diagnosis techniques are getting better for autism and ADHD it doesn't mean the same is necessarily true of other types of disabilities. They are all different disabilities with different techniques for diagnoses. Also, the increased diagnoses rates may simply be due to greater societal awareness and understanding of certain types of disabilities but not others.

Oh, and the language you used in this post is quite disrespectful and bigoted. Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    If diagnosis techniques are getting better for autism and ADHD it doesn't mean the same is necessarily true of other types of disabilities. They are all different disabilities with different techniques for diagnoses. Also, the increased diagnoses rates may simply be due to greater societal awareness and understanding of certain types of disabilities but not others.

Oh, and the language you used in this post is quite disrespectful and bigoted. Just FYI.
    What? Mental retardation is a specific diagnosis that leads to certain types of educational accommodations, not a slur. Perhaps you should study special education and work in schools, like I did.

If you search online you will see that what I am saying is commonly accepted in education. Even if there is overdiagnosis, the incidence is rising.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 05-26-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    What? Mental retardation is a specific diagnosis that leads to certain types of educational accommodations, not a slur. Perhaps you should study special education and work in schools, like I did.

If you search online you will see that what I am saying is commonly accepted in education. Even if there is overdiagnosis, the incidence is rising.
    Well, I worked for several non-profit organizations that advocated on behalf of individuals with disabilities for a number of years and I know that if I had allowed the use of the "r-word" on any materials published by these organizations I would have been thrown to the curb faster and more violently than you can imagine. And I respect that.

I still think there are better ways we can refer to such people without using that word. Just my opinion on the matter, "clinical diagnoses" aside. I just believe that using more "person first/person friendly" language should be standard in all disability-related fields.

Oh, hey, a non-autistic trying to teach someone on the spectrum about their own disability.

anova01 is offline Member
    I grew up in a different country and with parents who are biologists, so to me there is a definite perceptible fixation on drugs to do things that can be done homeopathically. Sore throat? Tea with honey, not 3 shots of Dayquil.

Just this morning, I was talking to my friend who said that she's had 3 sinus infections in the past 6 weeks - and has taken 3 courses of antibiotics! When I said that seemed ridiculous, she said that it was different ones. When pressed further by me saying I still thought it was an exorbitant amount, she said that the doctor gave her the prescription so it was okay. All I could do was mutter "Silly doctors" and drop the issue.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

12 week health challenge (95%, more moving)
    Start -- March 1st -- 173.4
    End -- May 24th -- 158.6

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast