Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans Truly Think Drugs are the Answer? page 2

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I admit it must be harder for parents now, when i was a kid, admittedly we're talking a long time ago, when i was off school Id get up in a morning bursting to go out, while we were eating breakfast mom or nan would pack us lunch, we'd tell her our agenda with the i might go here kid stuff' and she'd tell us to be home by 4:30 and off we'd go. Many parents now wouldnt feel comfortable doing that now. In England councils dont want kids climbing trees or going near water. Its got to be hard being a kid now.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Owen is offline Senior Member
    The problem is the same in the UK. A sudden explosion of children being diagniosed as having 'ADHD' and being given a drug called Ritalin, which is a stimulant, in order to make them concentrate on things such as schoolwork. Schools now have more difficulty teaching children who are of course mostly eating more processed foods and sugars, especially HFCS, but probably a whole host of chemicals that 20 years ago were not present in our diet. Where children come from slightly more affluent backgrounds, parents tend to make better food choices and the levels of classroom disruption will be lower, which is not to say that the classroom system is ideal for a human being, but clearly indicates where the problem lies. The chef Jamie Oliver has done about as much as is humanly possible to campaign on this issue and is to be commended. Despite what he has acheived its still widespread practice to medicate children. In our culture in general is would be taboo to approach a child's parent and question them on what the child is being fed, even as a medical professional, so they are being given medication instead.

Hopefully in the future culture changes will allow a more realistic treatment of a child's behaviour which is centered around diet as the first consideration.

I disagree that the medical profession is completely corrupt and to blame, we need to draw a distinction between their ability to treat 'communicable' illness such as diseases and viruses, which clearly they do well, and their faliure to treat 'non-communicable' diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, depression, etc which are the longer term conditions more related to what we consume as a society.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    As they say...follow the money.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    My maternal grandparents were among the original "health nuts." They subscribed to Prevention magazine and took supplements before it became commonplace. My grandfather claimed that vitamin e cured his angina. He also grew his own vegetables well into his 80s. My grandmother died at 91 although her last years were not good due to heart problems and my grandfather died at 98. He missed my grandmother terribly and so his last years were not good either.

Anyway as a result of my grandparents and their influence, my parents also take supplements and refuse to take statins. They are both 80 this year. My mother was on an osteoporosis drug and stopped taking it when she found out it wasn't effective. She is having health issues, but it is related to nerve damage on her spine and is not able to get around well. My Dad started running at the age of 57 and still does, though he has more walking intervals.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    ADHD. My one son-in-law was hyperactive as a child, in fact he still can't sit still. His doctor put him on Ritalin. He hated it and stopped taking it as a teenager. He and my daughter have a son (7) and a daughter (3) who both show hyperactivity. Because of problems at school, my grandson takes Intuniv. It does help, but he still gets into trouble when he gets bored.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    It does help, but he still gets into trouble when he gets bored.
    He doesn't need to be medicated, he needs to be challenged and engaged. Kids get into trouble when they're bored and have no proper outlets. I would tell your son-in-law to get on the school about challenging his son to keep him out of trouble. I'm betting he's bright and finds things too easy.

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    So much of advertising, not only for drugs but medical procedures and even non-medical advertisement is fear based.

"If you don't take this pill, you could" (fill in the blank)

I remember a TV advertisement a few years back that had a man going about his normal day at work and there was a hospital bed following him everywhere. The message was that he could keel over anytime from something or another but if he got their body scan, he could be saved.

Almost half of all Americans have taken a prescription drug in the past month according to a CDC study:

FASTSTATS - Therapeutic Drug Use

Where it really gets mind boggling is how much the percentages would go up if they counted OTC or over-the-counter medications, some of which were prescription medications until a few years ago, like Prilosec and several others.

Like someone said, follow the money. Look at how much the top ten selling prescription drugs made in 2011 and look what the drugs are sold for.

The 10 Best Selling Blockbuster Drugs - Business Insider

A cured patient is a lost customer, and a previous poster is exactly right, the doctor is not your friend. The medical industry in general is about profit. The pharmaceutical companies are about huge profits.

Why sell someone a simple and effect substance to actually cure what is wrong with them when you can treat the signs and symptoms and keep them coming back for the rest of their (shorten) life?

Why educate people in the correct way of eating and a healthy lifestyle when you can keep them fat, dumb and medicate?

My disdain is not at the acute care medical professionals like orthopedic surgeons and trauma docs. All the bacon in the world won't fix a compound fracture but it is directed at the chronic illness doctors that don't cure anything.

Why is this? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The goal of the medical industry is to provide people with insurance with as many products and services as their insurance will pay for. Perfectly healthy people are encouraged to go to their doctor to ask about something he has no direct expertise about and they don't need. Medical consumers have responded by treating health products and services as something that they should get as much of as they possibly can, simply to get their money's worth. They don't realize that there are negative implications to more tests and more drugs.

It's like a magical mental disconnect that happens when anything medical in nature comes up, as though their doctor is a cross between an all-knowing deity and a magician. Being a good little medical consumer is hard work. Shutting down your critical thinking is necessary to keep you as a profit center.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    My one son-in-law was hyperactive as a child, in fact he still can't sit still.
    I have an adult friend like this. He is always moving, so he found a job that lets him be on his feet all day. He just is constantly doing something and never chills out. It's really not a problem. There is a place in society for really super physically productive people. He does home maintenance for people. Super smart guy.

Drugging out personality types to suit the model of "sedentary" is not smart. We need people that enjoy being on the go doing physical work.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I had a conference with my son's teacher where she warned of his lack of attention. To prove her point she showed me an elaborate 20 page fictional story with picture that my son wrote .....the instruction given was to write a 5 page nonfiction. This is kindergarten mind you. I couldn't help but smile and praise him on his awesome story! In the teachers defence she did admit that the story itself was terrific achievement, but it's odd she felt compelled to present it a problem point that we should monitor. if we were a certain type of parent a conference like that could very well lead to another bright kid being drugged just to bring him in line with the status quo.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast