Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can only pick one right now. Purchase a Kettlebell or a weight vest? page

linuxguy0481 is offline Member

I can only pick one right now. Purchase a Kettlebell or a weight vest?

Primal Fuel
    I have a few fitness things I need to return to Play It Again Sports. I will use store credit and get either a 35 or 52 pound Kettlebell or a 50 pound weight vest. Not sure which one I should pick. I need some help with this.

Thank you.

Almost forgot to mention that I have had training from a local RKC on different exercises I can do with the Kettlebell. Which brings up another question.

What exercise burns more calories Kettlebell Swings, Kettlebell Snatches or doing burpees?
    Last edited by linuxguy0481; 05-25-2013 at 01:03 PM.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    I use and teach Kettlebells , but I would actually go for a weighted vest. Once you have exhausted the progressions on push-ups, pull-ups, lunges and squats, you can stick the vest on and take it all to a new level.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    I would get the kettlebell myself. Instantly adds variety to your routine (I know some people stick with specific moves, I like to mix it up), and you can use it to add difficulty to almost every body-weight exercise as well.

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    If my goal was fat loss, I'd go for the kettlebell. In my experience, kettlebell swings (the vanilla two-handed variety) don't burn fat so much as napalm it.

If my goal was strength, I'd go for the vest but only if I was ready to progress from unweighted bodyweight movements.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Swings and snatches are great, but if you can only afford one kettlebell, then progressions on rows and presses get tricky. Sure, you can slow the movement, add pauses in various places, but once you have exhausted that, these movements will end up in the endurance rep range.

On the other hand, push-ups and military presses with body weight can easily be progressed with raised feet, pauses, weighted vest, single arm, handstand etc, pull-ups can cover the pulling motions, chins, wide arm, weighted, one arm.

HIIT with weighted vest too, also, make your own sandbag for a few bucks.

Kettlebells are great, but you need a few to progress over time. Vest and body weight will keep you occupied for ever.
    Last edited by thriveful; 05-26-2013 at 12:33 PM.

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    Not to hijack the topic, but can someone provide a source for some illustrated kettlebell exercises?

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcav8r View Post
    Not to hijack the topic, but can someone provide a source for some illustrated kettlebell exercises?

Google Mike Mahler and Pavel Tsatsouline. You can probably find both their ebooks online for free download. Or buy them.

I would go for a kettlebell simply because you can always make bodyweight exercises harder with leverage alone. Plus you can throw the kettlebell in a backpack if you need added resistance for runs or whatever.

A kettlebell is without a doubt the most functional piece of equipment besides your own bodyweight. You can bring it anywhere, need very little room, do dozens of movements and always find ways to progress. Depending on your strength, i would suggest the 53lb and work up to higher reps rather then the 35lb and already be able to high rep stuff.

Also i would say single arm swings for double tabatas (16min - 20sec on, 10sec off) is an amazing fatloss workout. But just about any complex with a kettlebell is good. My favorite is high rep, clean, front squat, press, repeat. As for which exercise burns more calories, they are all probably about the same. It would be the duration that decides. High rep snatches are amazing trap and ab builders though.

eadiepbb is offline Junior Member
    you can stick the vest on and take it all to a new level.

linuxguy0481 is offline Member
    So 3 votes for weight vest and 2 votes for the Kettlebell. I'm not sure what MIPWID voted for though. If he votes for the Kettlebell then it would be a tie. I'm still deciding.

I am aiming for fat loss right now though. I'm trying to go back to my high school weight. No let me rephrase that. I will be going back to my high school weight.

I even heard of a woman that lost so much weight doing Kettlebell swings. Her name is Tracy Reifkind. It's quite the inspiration to hear her story. That's part of the reason I'm aiming for a Kettebell.

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    Then get a kettlebell. If it doesn't work out for you, get the weightvest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast