Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motivation when life gets in the way of primal eating? page

jilly is offline Member

Motivation when life gets in the way of primal eating?

Primal Fuel
    I am a 25 year old female and in good health. I am engaged, no children, and am not obese but am slightly overweight (in my eyes, maybe others wouldn't think so) I'm 5'6'' and 150 lbs but not muscular at all, my extra 30 or so lbs is mostly fat that I'd like to get rid of. My problem is the exact same problem as everyone else in the whole world who wants to lose weight but can't. Well, I'm probably better off than most, because I know exactly what to eat and how to work out to lose my weight. My issue is that I'm 25 with no children lol I have a wonderful significant other who likes to go out to eat and drink, I have several close friends and we socialize with each other by drinking and going out and eating. No different story than anyone else. My question for everyone reading this is, have you found a way to have your cake and eat it too? Do you practice 100% paleo/primal and still have a life with friends who don't? Did you have to find new friends who don't eat chips and queso and fried pickles and 34 oz mugs of beer at Pluckers every friday night? Did you stop drinking even though its a lifestyle that I still want to keep but still want to eat healthy? I don't need a lecture about how its a choice that you have to make - eating what you want or being healthy. I fully understand what I need to do. But we are social creatures, and I LOVE my friends and coworkers and my time with them going out is very important to me. But the peer pressure to join in their indulgences is really tough to deal with. I'm not saying that they would make fun of me for trying to adopt a healthy lifestyle, I guess I'm just trying to figure out how everyone else deals with the social aspect of their lives and the primal way of eating. I haven't started seeing the ill effects of a poor diet other than my extra weight on my rear. I did about a month of the primal eating and lost 10 lbs and felt great, but then weight loss stopped and I got frustrated and gave in to my cravings and gained it back. I need a way to stick to it, while still being able to socialize and keep my motivation high so when I'm confronted with the poor choices at the bar, I can confidently deny them. This is also just a venting post as well lol the friends that I would normally vent to are the ones that don't understand the primal life (I've tried to tell them about it, they think I'm crazy for thinking fat is healthy) I wish that socializing with people didn't have to mean going to a restaurant or bar to stuff your face with unhealthy crap. And I know that tons of people socialize with exercise, but not my friends lol I love them all dearly, but drinking and eating is just a part of my social circle, as is most everyone.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Absolutely you should socialize. Isolation is bad.

Do your companions really care what you're eating and drinking? If I'm invited to a chain restaurant I just forget any chance at decent food and will nurse an iced tea, seltzer, or wine while chatting. Eating is never so urgent to justify toxins--I can always cook before or after.

If your friends truly need to watch you chew and swallow it's only because of precedent. If they become accustomed to you not doing so then they'll stop expecting it. Don't discuss your nutrition strategy, just say "not hungry" or "already ate".
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I suggest that you find food/drink at those places that suits you (your sense of health/diet), and stick to those. You don't have to eat what they are eating, and the pressure *will* fall away. Just laugh it off and change the subject and move on. Eventually they won't bug you about it.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Have a bloody Mary instead of a beer or have some wine. Eat the guacamole with a spoon instead of chips. Order a big salad with chicken or salmon on it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Don't have low enough self-confidence that you're concerned about what people will think about how you eat and drink. Do what you want and let them deal.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

I don't think you have to give up your friends or try to find friends who exercise and socialize while exercising. That doesn't sound very fun at all. I eat out fairly often with my husband or friends. It's hard to know where the food you're eating is coming from, but I'm not eating it every day so I don't worry too much. I haven't seen very many appetizers that are primal, but I don't usually have trouble with a main course. I order steak or broiled fish, or a salad if that's all that's available. I refuse the bread or mashed potatoes that often come with a meal and ask them to double up on the fresh vegetables. My drink of choice is now always red wine, and while I know it's supposed to be an occasional indulgence, if I'm eating out I'll have one or two (or three) and not worry too much.

One thing I've realized over time is that mostly people don't pay any attention to what you're eating. I went out with a group of friends recently and at the end of the meal we ordered three big desserts to share between six of us. NO ONE noticed that I didn't eat any of it. NO ONE! So what it comes down to is you deciding what you're going to put into your body. (Sorry if this sounds like a lecture but it IS a choice!) You say you love your friends and the time you spend with them and I think that's great. Enjoy them, just don't eat like they do! You can do it! If you really want to, and it sounds like you do, you can do it! (That's your pep talk!)
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If your friends are any kind of good friends, they won't say a word about your choice of food.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    The longer you stick with primal, the less temptation you will feel from the type of foods and drinks your friends are having.

So, keep strong during the week, eat a good primal meal before you go out, then go join your friends, choose one favourite drink that is worth indulging your 20% for, and make it last. If your friends even notice, you can learn to brush off the comments.

After a while you will barely even notice what they are having, or at least you may wonder why on earth they would ingest such garbage but you would not see it as potential food for you.

Good luck.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    I assume you get to choose your meal and drink.
    Order a big steak or chicken or fish (with fat/skin attached) and veg or salad and eat it.
    They think your meal is mostly unhealthy and they know theirs is mostly unhealthy too - so it appears everyone has unhealthy meal they enjoy. Dont talk about fat being healthy and processed carbs being bad just eat and enjoy the night.
    They wonder why you get thin and don't get sick often eating unhealthy/fatting food.
    I don't see a problem.

jilly is offline Member
    I appreciate the comments guys! thanks for the great ideas. Several of you are giving me ideas of what kinda food to order, but unfortunately when we go out we don't usually have a full meal. It's mostly drinks and bar-type appetizers. No one really orders a full meal. Which is my dilemma. But when I did try this WOE for a month a while back I really did try to only order wine or vodka sodas when I was out. It was never as much fun as beer but I guess for my health I will MAKE it fun lol thanks again for all comments, they are greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast