Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motivation when life gets in the way of primal eating? page 2

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Eat before you go out and switch off between vodka sodas and water.

I actually don't go out anymore because well, drinking one or two vodka sodas keeps me sober and damn, drunk people are annoying when you are sober. I have a lot of people I really can't be around when they are drunk and I am not.

I'm trying to come up with some new "going out" ideas that don't involve a bar stool and drinks. It's harder than you would expect. I haven't made much progress, LOL.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    My suggestions a bit different. Life is about compromise, and primals about health. Make the healthiest choices you can.
    When you eat out look at the menu be mindful and don't order real crap unless you're in a place that only serves crap if you're in a junk food joint even there you can improve what you eat to a degree. if you have burger take off the top of the bun or don't have the bun, order the best meat you can,don't have the cheese or fries, have side salad, a diet soda might not be brilliant but its better than the shakes, fruit juice and water maybe better. Wines good when drinking out, try it the European way mix it with sparkling water. Its more refreshing anyway and you don't get the morning afters.
    Suggest places where you can get better options, your pleasure factor counts as much as everybody elses. Try and find a teppanyaki bar, They cook the meat you want, with the veg you want and your choice of spices. They do it in front of you too and its really fun, the chefs tend to be real showmen, its easy to be healthy there.
    Do the best you can. There will come a time in your life when you want to clean up so until then be as clean as you can.
    Keep in mind that there might also be some of your friends who want to be a bit healthier but are in the same boat. Try leading the way with small changes; you might be surprised. Any crap that you don't eat is a success in its way
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Would your friends be up for dinner parties? That is what we started doing - we just invite people over and do the cooking Summer makes these especially easy because we can grill and then it doesn't even seem like we are "forcing" paleo on them!

What about trying new places to eat/drink - lots of specialty places have opened up near us that have jumped on the local bandwagon and tend to have many more offerings of grass fed burgers, etc... Seems reasonable for 25ish year olds to give up dive bars and go to fancier places

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jilly View Post
    I appreciate the comments guys! thanks for the great ideas. Several of you are giving me ideas of what kinda food to order, but unfortunately when we go out we don't usually have a full meal. It's mostly drinks and bar-type appetizers. No one really orders a full meal. Which is my dilemma. But when I did try this WOE for a month a while back I really did try to only order wine or vodka sodas when I was out. It was never as much fun as beer but I guess for my health I will MAKE it fun lol thanks again for all comments, they are greatly appreciated.
    This minor detail is a restriction you have put on yourself, not something writ in stone. If you decided to order a salad with meat or a chicken breast ("I think I need to eat more when I'm drinking"), no one would do more than blink, and that would just be the first time. After that it would just be, yeah, she orders a meal.

I don't like soda drinks myself. I'd do vodka on the rocks. You get the same liquor, but it feels like an alcoholic beverage.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    You can be social without eating or drinking. Get an iced tea and fast on those nights out, or eat prior to going out. If you are feeling left out, that's on you. Your friends shouldn't care whether or not you get bombed and eat deep fried crap.

Sounds to me that you are worried about not "participating", rather than just having a good time.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I'm all for changing it up. Suggest a cool new place or have them over to your place for a wine and cheese night instead.

Also, if they're that judgy about your food, then they're judgy mcjudgypants and that's on them. If you're worried about them making a scene, start the scene yourself. Make a joke out of how "gross" it is that you're eating all that butter. Then let it go.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

jilly is offline Senior Member
    I would love to have dinner parties! The going out that we do is mostly like, hey, goin out after work, you comin? Not a huge deal, but a big part of my social life nonetheless. I don't care that I don't eat, I guess my original question should be stated more clearly. So here goes: when you go out, do you feel deprived while watching others indulge in what you previously indulged in? I'm sure at first it takes getting used to, and I guess that's all I need to hear. Is that it's going to get easier. I want more than anything to be able to change my lifestyle for the better. But I'm afraid of change, like most people. Will I miss my old ways too much? Or will I love my new healthy body too much to care or remember how good beer and queso is? My question is more about how it makes you feel when you go out and must be different. That is all. I know what to order, what to drink, what to say. And my friends know I try to make healthy choices most of the time. It's just me. Getting past the bittersweet feelings of giving up my lifestyle that I've known for so long.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Here's a counter-question for you- have you tried? My experience is not your experience, so it would be of more value to you to take on the challenge for a month. Or a week. Or one happy hour. If one happy hour wasn't too bad, try it at a second. In the end, are you going out for the queso and beer or the company?
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I do not feel the slightest envy or temptation. I still enjoy the aroma, and I am glad for those who can still enjoy foods I can no longer eat.

EatMoveSleep is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For me it was no a big issue - I don't miss eating things that most others choose to eat.
    I don't want or crave it, I don't wish they wouldn't eat-it/drink-it in front of me, I don't want a taste, I don't feel deprived or requiring will power to resist, I don't feel envy, I feel nothing about it in those terms ( if this is what you're asking).
    I like eating this way, the strength, health, fitness, energy, no pain, ease, uniqueness - it works for me.
    If you must be super social and eat what is commonly offered , then it may not work for you.
    Maybe what you're doing now is the healthiest thing for you at the moment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast