Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why would we 'cheat' when primal/paleo IS health?

Hybrid View

Why would we 'cheat' when primal/paleo IS health?

I am curious. So often people talk about 'cheating'. But why would/ should we cheat? To me it sounds like a 'diet mentality' rather than a healthy lifestyle. What do others think?

I love food! And even though I don't keep carbs and processed foods in my home, if I go out to eat, I will eat almost EVERYTHING! Bread and butter, french fries, ice cream sundaes. That stuff is dam delicious, and eating it once or twice a week doesn't seem to affect my health. I just run it off....is that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by renee16 View Post
    I love food! And even though I don't keep carbs and processed foods in my home, if I go out to eat, I will eat almost EVERYTHING! Bread and butter, french fries, ice cream sundaes. That stuff is dam delicious, and eating it once or twice a week doesn't seem to affect my health. I just run it off....is that wrong?
    It's not wrong if your health is where you want it to be. It's also not cheating unless you want to define it as such. Most people who eat those foods regularly don't seem to have optimal health. Many folks who eat primally find that when they go an extended period of time without eating "junk food" that the junk just doesn't taste delicious anymore. Goes to show that we're not all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    It's not wrong if your health is where you want it to be. It's also not cheating unless you want to define it as such. Most people who eat those foods regularly don't seem to have optimal health. Many folks who eat primally find that when they go an extended period of time without eating "junk food" that the junk just doesn't taste delicious anymore. Goes to show that we're not all the same.
    Junk like Snickers, corn dogs, KFC, UTZ chips, etc are junk and no longer taste good.

It's the buttery chocolate croissants, quality (close to) plain cheesecakes, etc that can be hard to completely forget
    Last edited by superseiyan; 02-17-2014 at 11:07 AM.

fat free croissants are disgusting
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    fat free croissants are disgusting
    mmmm, I guess so but more than that, how can a fat-free croissant even be made ??? The whole point of a croissant is the multiple layering of dough and fat. Some special butter is even used for that by French bakers because if you try it at home, you will not be able to do it right all the time with random butter. My success rate did not go over 50% even after many attempts following recipes to a T, but when I succeeded ... oh yeah! pure orgie! When I failed, don't think I was trashing everything ... no no, I was transforming the dough + butter into a croissant bread, with a nice coating of egg yolk + milk + sugar that would give it a nice color and flavor I would then eat a big slice of that bread thing with like 1/2 inch of Nutella ... yeah, those were the days ... Today, I make my own chocolate spread and wheat-free bread thingy (like once every 3 months maybe, not even ...). Funny how these kind of cravings vanished ... last time I made some chocolate spread, it lasted for ages, i would simply forget it for days, and that is truly something!
    Last edited by dkJames; 05-27-2013 at 05:28 AM.

People bring their baggage and learnt behaviours with them and you dont get a halo and wings when you register here.People fuck up but the real problem is seeing it as cheating. You've chosen a lifestyle and how you adhere to it is up to the individual but it seems to me that a fair few folks go off track when they set their goals too high. There is nothing wrong with aspiring to a perfect way of life but the goals have to be realistic and achievable, e.g If your goal is to exercise to the extreme but only eat a few hundred calories you're going to trip up and If your diet is too restrictive you may well crave and binge. There's a lot of outside pressures too, as many reasons as people i guess
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

molasses is similar to dark (black) treacle

I agree that the concept of "cheating" is a CW concept along with CW "diets." Who exactly is one cheating on? One's self? That's akin to cheating in solitaire - something else I've never understood.

But if you're asking why people occasionally have a non-primal treat? Because it tastes good. Also, there are some people who have an all or nothing approach to things that might give rise to the cheating/guilt idea. I haven't had pizza since last June or July, so we're coming on almost a year now. I don't miss it which honestly surprises the hell out of me. But if a group got together and wanted to go out for pizza, I wouldn't stop myself from going just for that. And I wouldn't consider it cheating - just a meal that I ate that wasn't optimal for my health.

Once you get to a place where your kitchen is primal and you cook/prepare almost all of your meals, you're there imo - as far as the eating part of primal. An occasional non-primal treat (with some rare exceptions) isn't a big deal.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Because sometimes you go to a restaurant or visit a friend. That's why we have the 80/20 rule. Personally, I can go for weeks without cheating but then I have a special occasion that calls for a chocolate lava cake. I certainly don't just randomly cheat for no reason.