Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why would we 'cheat' when primal/paleo IS health? page

Aili is offline Senior Member

Why would we 'cheat' when primal/paleo IS health?

Shop Now
    I am curious. So often people talk about 'cheating'. But why would/ should we cheat? To me it sounds like a 'diet mentality' rather than a healthy lifestyle. What do others think?

renee16 is offline Junior Member
    I love food! And even though I don't keep carbs and processed foods in my home, if I go out to eat, I will eat almost EVERYTHING! Bread and butter, french fries, ice cream sundaes. That stuff is dam delicious, and eating it once or twice a week doesn't seem to affect my health. I just run it off....is that wrong?

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by renee16 View Post
    I love food! And even though I don't keep carbs and processed foods in my home, if I go out to eat, I will eat almost EVERYTHING! Bread and butter, french fries, ice cream sundaes. That stuff is dam delicious, and eating it once or twice a week doesn't seem to affect my health. I just run it off....is that wrong?
    It's not wrong if your health is where you want it to be. It's also not cheating unless you want to define it as such. Most people who eat those foods regularly don't seem to have optimal health. Many folks who eat primally find that when they go an extended period of time without eating "junk food" that the junk just doesn't taste delicious anymore. Goes to show that we're not all the same.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    People bring their baggage and learnt behaviours with them and you dont get a halo and wings when you register here.People fuck up but the real problem is seeing it as cheating. You've chosen a lifestyle and how you adhere to it is up to the individual but it seems to me that a fair few folks go off track when they set their goals too high. There is nothing wrong with aspiring to a perfect way of life but the goals have to be realistic and achievable, e.g If your goal is to exercise to the extreme but only eat a few hundred calories you're going to trip up and If your diet is too restrictive you may well crave and binge. There's a lot of outside pressures too, as many reasons as people i guess
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I agree that the concept of "cheating" is a CW concept along with CW "diets." Who exactly is one cheating on? One's self? That's akin to cheating in solitaire - something else I've never understood.

But if you're asking why people occasionally have a non-primal treat? Because it tastes good. Also, there are some people who have an all or nothing approach to things that might give rise to the cheating/guilt idea. I haven't had pizza since last June or July, so we're coming on almost a year now. I don't miss it which honestly surprises the hell out of me. But if a group got together and wanted to go out for pizza, I wouldn't stop myself from going just for that. And I wouldn't consider it cheating - just a meal that I ate that wasn't optimal for my health.

Once you get to a place where your kitchen is primal and you cook/prepare almost all of your meals, you're there imo - as far as the eating part of primal. An occasional non-primal treat (with some rare exceptions) isn't a big deal.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Because sometimes you go to a restaurant or visit a friend. That's why we have the 80/20 rule. Personally, I can go for weeks without cheating but then I have a special occasion that calls for a chocolate lava cake. I certainly don't just randomly cheat for no reason.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I feel like some kind of freak sometimes, because I've had NO problem staying primal basically all the time. On rare occasions for something that is truly an "experience" I'll eat something that isn't primal, but that's a conscious choice instead of "giving in" or whatever. I dunno; I just tend to always want to eat the stuff I know is awesome for me and makes me feel superhuman.

I'm always baffled when someone says "I tried paleo, but it was just too restrictive". I mean, I feel like I eat like a king, so I don't understand them.

jhed is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Because sometimes you go to a restaurant or visit a friend. That's why we have the 80/20 rule. Personally, I can go for weeks without cheating but then I have a special occasion that calls for a chocolate lava cake. I certainly don't just randomly cheat for no reason.
    But if you're following the 80/20 rule, and choose to have chocolate lava cake as part of your 20%, is it still cheating?

I think CarbDodger brought up some good points. Occasional indulgences can be part of your diet/lifestyle, as long as the majority of your meals are healthy.
    Last edited by jhed; 05-25-2013 at 12:46 PM.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Because Allah wills it
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    lol i always consider this so funny.

it's not cheating unless you consider it cheating.

I eat whatever I want, truly.

My juicer broke and I'm *sad*. I want more juice. I can't wait to get a new juicer and get more juice.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast